Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:17 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,678,770 times

Advertisements

NO. The raising of the debt ceiling has NOTHING whatsoever to do with continuation of emergency unemployment compensation benefits. Eligibility for these, as per previous legislation, expires December 31, 2011. Extension of the EUC legislation beyond 12/31/11 will be revisited in November as it would have anyway without this debt ceiling authorization.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:18 PM

2,519 posts, read 3,273,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Huh? Nobody is talking about extensions. Thread is about timely payment of existing unemployment benefits this week and going forward.
Yes, part of the negotiations in the debt ceiling debate was about extending UI.
No need to get your knickers in a knot.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 PM

2,519 posts, read 3,273,500 times
Extending UI was put on the table but was shot down by the R's.
The current extension will run its course, for now.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 AM

100 posts, read 340,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Extending UI was put on the table but was shot down by the R's.
The current extension will run its course, for now.
...which we should mention is December 31st.

My friend's husband just got laid off. He thought he would get 2 years of UI. Had no idea that there are no more Tiers after January 1, 2012. (except for the current one you may be on at that time).

Old 08-02-2011, 10:37 AM

379 posts, read 1,403,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherleeds2011 View Post
My friend's husband just got laid off. He thought he would get 2 years of UI. Had no idea that there are no more Tiers after January 1, 2012. (except for the current one you may be on at that time).

I know someone in the same situation. This man I know is counting on getting laid off within the next year and still thinks that he'll get at least one year of UI benefits. I've been telling him that he will only get the initial six months of state funded benefits and nothing after that. He refuses to believe any truths and still insists on receiving 99 weeks.

Sadly, this man is also the kind of person that identifies himself as being extremely right of center in the political spectrum. He's the kind of person who would vote against his own self-interests even though he will directly benefit from them. In fact, he did exactly that last November when I told him that he better think twice about how he voted during the last election because he could be unemployed one day... well here we are today and this guy is counting on being on unemployment benefits soon. What I don't get is why these kind of people speak nothing but ill-will towards anyone receiving any kind of government benefit but when it comes time for them to receive those same benefits, they shut up and completely change their tone and think that government is their savior after all... Go figure. Sorry for the rant.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:09 PM

21 posts, read 46,863 times
New Federal Unemployment Insurance Extensions

They just updated it.. does it mean benefits wont be stoppedand we got nothing to worry about?

Old 08-02-2011, 04:53 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,678,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr137 View Post
New Federal Unemployment Insurance Extensions

They just updated it.. does it mean benefits wont be stoppedand we got nothing to worry about?
The only thing new is this:
Quote:
Updated: Number of individuals who have run out of benefits is now over 486,000.
CA removed the caution on possible delay of benefits.

What remains is what they posted in December when EUC was extended for 13 months - old news. Confusing - but CA often posts confusing information. Nothing new there, at all.

With raise in debt ceiling your benefits will continue.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 PM

12 posts, read 5,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
I know someone in the same situation. This man I know is counting on getting laid off within the next year and still thinks that he'll get at least one year of UI benefits. I've been telling him that he will only get the initial six months of state funded benefits and nothing after that. He refuses to believe any truths and still insists on receiving 99 weeks.

Sadly, this man is also the kind of person that identifies himself as being extremely right of center in the political spectrum. He's the kind of person who would vote against his own self-interests even though he will directly benefit from them. In fact, he did exactly that last November when I told him that he better think twice about how he voted during the last election because he could be unemployed one day... well here we are today and this guy is counting on being on unemployment benefits soon. What I don't get is why these kind of people speak nothing but ill-will towards anyone receiving any kind of government benefit but when it comes time for them to receive those same benefits, they shut up and completely change their tone and think that government is their savior after all... Go figure. Sorry for the rant.
You Know this isn't the forum for this...if someone is left, right, middle or otherwise is not what this discussion is about. Its not always about voting in one's own self-interests as it is in voting for what one thinks is right. I happen to agree with your friend, and am part of a Tea-Party myself...but this is not the forum for such discussions....this is about the physics of UI.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:45 PM

398 posts, read 1,368,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMMYQUERRY View Post
You Know this isn't the forum for this...if someone is left, right, middle or otherwise is not what this discussion is about. Its not always about voting in one's own self-interests as it is in voting for what one thinks is right. I happen to agree with your friend, and am part of a Tea-Party myself...but this is not the forum for such discussions....this is about the physics of UI.
No Tea-Partier should collect unemployment benefits... especially not Ui extensions.

Voting on "what one thinks is right" but not practicing the principles he preaches in his own life proves is just political posturing because he doesn't expect his politics to affect himself adversely... just others.

I'm surprised he isn't talking about applying for a Mcdonald's job instead of expecting "a year of benefits."
If his friend gets only 6 months of UE next year, you can bet he'll scream bloody hell.

Extremists on either side, Liberal or Conservative, are always the most hypocritical people.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:32 AM

379 posts, read 1,403,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMMYQUERRY View Post

Regardless of which direction you or the person I mentioned earlier lean politically, unemployment insurance is a benefit that any working person can receive and fall back on. Despite how you or the person I mentioned earlier feel about receiving help when you need it, I am sure that when push comes to shove that you will take help where ever you can get it.

One's self-interests does not necessarily equate in what one thinks is "right". The real world is not black and white and full of absolutes and simple answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
No Tea-Partier should collect unemployment benefits... especially not Ui extensions.
I'm surprised he isn't talking about applying for a Mcdonald's job instead of expecting "a year of benefits."
If his friend gets only 6 months of UE next year, you can bet he'll scream bloody hell.

The person I mentioned earlier is actually a self-righteous individual that is too proud to receive any kind of payment from the government, including unemployment insurance, because it is seen as a "handout". In fact, at one point he said he would rather work at Mickey D's before taking any kind of handout because as he says, "You need to work for you money and not just take it from the government". Of course, that isn't the case any more as he's in his late-50's and wouldn't be able to do that kind of physical labor. I think at some point, some sliver of reality sunk and he realized the fact that it's going to be very difficult for him to ever get hired again at his age for any job and the fact that he wouldn't be able to work at Mickey D's.

At this point, push comes to shove and unemployment benefits doesn't seem like it's such a bad thing, go figure. Honestly, I can't wait for week 27 to come when he's collecting UI benefits and realizes that he's not going to get anything more, assuming that there isn't an extension of UI benefits beyond January 1. He'll scream bloody hell all right and say that the government isn't working now that he's on the receiving end of the stick.

The worst part is that this person was born into poverty. He worked his entire life and managed to do a lot better than his parents. But in the end, he is still poor. How is it that a working-class person, who would directly benefit from a program like unemployment, looks down upon it until he needs it?

Quote:
Voting on "what one thinks is right" but not practicing the principles he preaches in his own life proves is just political posturing because he doesn't expect his politics to affect himself adversely... just others.

I agree.

The person I mentioned earlier identifies himself as an ultra-conservative but upon closer examination of his political leaning, I would categorize him as a hard Libertarian/soft Tea-ba..Partier. Definitely the kind of person that doesn't think that the government needs to be handling benefits but wouldn't deny them if he needed them.

Quote:
Extremists on either side, Liberal or Conservative, are always the most hypocritical people.

Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment