Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:13 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

There was a story about this in Newsweek about how so many men are losing their jobs and that women are suddenly the breadewinners. Why do you think this is the case?

I have known woman in certain companies to survive 5 or 6 layoffs and been employed 10 straight years and counting.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Maybe women are paid cheaper and are cheaper to insure?

Old 08-01-2011, 01:32 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
There was a story about this in Newsweek about how so many men are losing their jobs and that women are suddenly the breadewinners. Why do you think this is the case?

I have known woman in certain companies to survive 5 or 6 layoffs and been employed 10 straight years and counting.
That's a good question TVSG. Maybe it has more to do with the types of industries that men typically are employed in and how those industries are doing in the job market today.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:54 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Many of the jobs that were lost in the recession were related to the housing boom, jobs in construction like drafting, carpentry, plumbing, electrician, inspections, etc were lost. Typically male dominated fields.

With the coming Medicare cuts, women in health care and social work are going to be next.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:12 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
All the manly jobs have been offshored, eliminated or have not been in demand. I also read an article a year or so ago... Most of the job creating money in the stimulus bill was set aside for sectors dominated by women, such as education, health care, etc. Very little, if any was set aside for manufacturing, other than perhaps "green" manufacturing, whatever that may be. Now we're supporting a society of dead beat men who can't swing a hammer because there's no jobs to teach them how! Men are going to be completely useless if this trend continues. Ladies... Good luck!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:44 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Google "mancession" for more info on this trend. From personal experience in sales, one of the companies that I used to work for had at one time 65 sales offices and almost 400 sales reps. Now they have no offices, no sales reps and sell everything online. Another company that I worked for had over 200 outside sales reps, now it is down to 50 or so and they replaced them with telemarketers.

Used to be that if you had some selling skills you could always land somewhere, but now there are hardly any legitimate outside sales jobs with a decent company left.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:04 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
All the manly jobs have been offshored, eliminated or have not been in demand. I also read an article a year or so ago... Most of the job creating money in the stimulus bill was set aside for sectors dominated by women, such as education, health care, etc. Very little, if any was set aside for manufacturing, other than perhaps "green" manufacturing, whatever that may be. Now we're supporting a society of dead beat men who can't swing a hammer because there's no jobs to teach them how! Men are going to be completely useless if this trend continues. Ladies... Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That's a good question TVSG. Maybe it has more to do with the types of industries that men typically are employed in and how those industries are doing in the job market today.
Pretty much the above posts. Sexism (it's there), Illegal Immigration and Outsourcing are the main reasons.

Fact of the matter is most of the jobs that dominate the workforce now are service-based jobs, which by and large have been traditionally dominated by women (and many employers still prefer to stick with that tradition, especially in traditionally blue collar/conservative regions), where as the jobs that have been largely dominated by men are being shipped to third world countries or illegal imiigrants are coming in and taking them for 25 cents (or less) on the dollar.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:19 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,718 times
There are a lot of reasons for this trend. The job market is more education oriented than ever today. Jobs that once didn't require bachelor's degrees a few years ago now require degrees because of the enormous surplus of over-qualified workers. In many areas, parking attendants require college degrees. However, women account for the majority of college-educated workers. Also, women who study even the fluffiest and softest majors in college usually go on to find career work whereas men studying the same things may not.

USATODAY.com - College gender gap widens: 57% are women

Census 2010: More Working Women Hold College Degrees than Men - ABC News

Also, as other posters have stated, women have a stronger niche in service jobs as well as desk jobs. Having a pretty female face around adds incredible revenue for many different types of businesses. The attractive female secretary/receptionist stereotype is definitely true to a large extent. A pretty face and nice body and warm personality almost guarantees a desk job in the front of some firm. I remember when I worked for a local temp agency, everyone in the main office was a bubbly flirtatious moderately attractive female. The only male at the office was the head honcho in the back with his feet up on the desk. Bars and upscale nightlife venues are known to hire attractive women as their bartenders and waitresses as well. It keeps tipsy men spending money (often more than they planned) and coming back every time. Sleazy pick-up artists who dress up like DC Comics characters call these women "hired guns".

Also, women, in general, are more social and talkative than men. Getting a job today for most people is about connections. Women who have active social lives have greater networks that ultimately lead to better employment prospects. I know many of my former female high school classmates that were able to get easy living wage desk jobs recently without any college.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-02-2011 at 04:30 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 04:22 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Many of the jobs that were lost in the recession were related to the housing boom, jobs in construction like drafting, carpentry, plumbing, electrician, inspections, etc were lost. Typically male dominated fields.

With the coming Medicare cuts, women in health care and social work are going to be next.
Bingo!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:42 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
The company that I work for is looking to hire a man in their 20's that we can train. It is an entry level opportunity to learn a trade. So we get a couple of guys a week that stop in to drop off applications and here is what I see. Guys with torn, ripped clothing, weird piercings, bad haircuts, have not shaved and the list could go on. This is a physical labor job so my standards are not that high, but at least show up in a decent pair of jeans and a polo shirt.

From my tiny little perch into the world of men's employment there seems to be a huge group of men (mostly under the age of 30) that have never been given even basic training on how to land a job. It's to the point where I am thinking that my church needs to hold a couple of classes to help younger guys know what they need to do and have myself along with other guys teach the class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment