Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,224,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
No I mean legitimate positions...the kind where you can trace it back to the major company's website (in my case the major law firm). I know the ones you mean tho...usually on craigslist and cut from legitimate postings on major job sites.

As for being truly broken hearted...my job including covering the duties of 2 people who had been let go already and I wasn't being compensated or recognized. While I was on vaca they supposedly gave some of those job duties to another employee however months later I was still doing them...yeah I wasn't disappointed about THAT...in fact I said "good riddance!"

The schematic of making more money comes from the severance factor. For the first few months my severance plus unemployment was a raise too. When it fell off was probably when I started noticing the "sad" days.

No I mean going to a company website and seeing a job opening and it's not real. I know because a company I worked for did it all the time. The position they were advertising for what not open at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 02:23 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,787,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
On July 8th I was notified that my position had been eliminated and that I would be leaving early that day and not coming back. I recieved an OK severance package and I have begun recieving unemployment benefits.

I haven't been unemployed since I was 16 (I'm now 28) and it is wierd how I have reacted. I really don't care. I think it is because I'm actually making more money with unemployment, I have a degree with a lot of good experiance and I rent so I can easily move. It was almost a relief because things were really going down hill at my last job and it wasn't somewhere that I wanted to be longterm.

Do some people enjoy unemployment or am I just missing something?
Wow, you really have no idea, do you?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:07 PM

323 posts, read 564,047 times
i made more money on unemployment than working. when i left my job, i was making about 1,000 a month. my UI benefits were more than that. that's because i had been downsized severely during the last quarter of my working year, but UI calculates benefit amounts by the quarter BEFORE the current quarter. so i made more on UI than i had the last 3 months of being employed. basically, my ending salary was less than my UI benefit amount.

i had a great boss.

either way...employed or not...i'm happy to be alive and still maintaining a somewhat decent life. people around me are struggling SO badly...i'm blessed and happy to just be still moving forward.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:22 PM

354 posts, read 858,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
It's possible if you have a lot deducted from your paycheck for taxes, health ins, 401k etc...
Yes I had a lot taken out for my 401K. I have opted out of paying my federal taxes from my check (I was getting extra taken out when I was working). I also opted out of my cobra insurance (My Insurance was very expensive when I was working).

Old 08-10-2011, 08:28 AM

475 posts, read 1,375,463 times
It's good to be relieved from getting something out of a job or company you didn't like. Take the time to do something you will rememeber and then move on. I went on my first vacation in 5 years during my severance. But this is the time to get into good habits as far as finding work, unless you have something already lined up or definite contacts in your field that will hire you. It's one thing to have confidence and another to have something in writing. I was really confident a year ago and now I'm stressed and angry everyday.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 AM

810 posts, read 1,767,119 times
Default I think you maybe missing something.

When I was laid off I had a similar attitude that you currently have for about a week. I thought ok no problem I haven't been without a job since I was 19, I'm 37 I have a solid work history and job skills so finding a new job won't be a problem at all right?
I didn't take into consideration that it take's forever to find a job now and basically even jobs like a receptionist some employers are putting in the job posting a requirement for a aa or ba, for a receptionist position. So now here it is a year later and I am hoping that sooner or later it will pay off.
I wish you good luck and I hope that you find a job soon.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:46 AM

856 posts, read 2,023,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
No I mean going to a company website and seeing a job opening and it's not real. I know because a company I worked for did it all the time. The position they were advertising for what not open at all.
My previous employer did that too...they're looking to see what out of work talent has to offer. Frankly I think it just wastes time and gives people false hope. Sometimes you learn what to look for...if a big insurance company has the same job listed 3 ways...you start to see it...and see it re-appear during the weeks your looking.

It is a crappy place to be right now...I just keep thinking of all the Great depression era stories I've heard and realizing I'm going to be one of those people moving forward. I'm not excited at the prospect but it is something that will be special and part of history at some point in the future and that's a little secret reward to hold on to for now.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That statement is 100% true for me. I've been unemployed since 2010, living off savings and not really bothered to look until this past July. Since July, I've applied to about 50 positions I know I qualify for and have gotten 13 interviews. Out of this, I've gotten two unattractive job offers, one job didn't work for me and the other I was let go after a couple of weeks for performance issues. The jobs I interviewed for that I really wanted, I didn't get.

But, anyway, here's what I discovered during my job hunt. There are some good ENTRY LEVEL type of jobs out there that have been open for MONTHS. This doesn't make sense, because we are in an environment where there is a LOT of people looking for work. It can't be possible that these kind of jobs cannot be filled by somebody who is out of work right now. What came to my mind is that these jobs are not real, the companies are not really looking to hire someone immediately they are just checking out what kind of talent is unemployed; possibly hoping to find a "superstar" who is unemployed or, if not that, they need to have a continuing supply of available candidates in case someone on staff suddenly quits or is fired, that way they can be replaced quickly. When I go interview for a job that requires at least one year experience or is entry level, and I find out that it's been open for months, I go to the interview concerned that no matter what, nobody will get this job because it's not really available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment