Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 04:53 PM

352 posts, read 777,870 times

Advertisements

In this difficult job market is it insane to decline an offer when unemployed?

I have a part time job that is able to pay rent, utilities (necessities) I was just laid off and got an offer paying 20k more two days later. I was offered a temp job (30 days length)with great pay but it is over 50 miles away and I would have to rent a car just to get there(money I dont have) as my wife uses the other car for her job.

I have been getting interviews(2 Phone and 2 in person at a regular pace all in two days) but no offers yet but this one.

Would you decline a position if you were under my circumstances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 09:11 PM

147 posts, read 314,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
In this difficult job market is it insane to decline an offer when unemployed?

I have a part time job that is able to pay rent, utilities (necessities) I was just laid off and got an offer paying 20k more two days later. I was offered a temp job (30 days length)with great pay but it is over 50 miles away and I would have to rent a car just to get there(money I dont have) as my wife uses the other car for her job.
Something's a little unclear...

Are you saying you got offered a job that pays you 20k, and that you're holding off waiting for more?

or

You got an offer for a temp job that lasts only 30 days?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,460,696 times
You'll have to forgive me. I can't make head or tail of your post.
Does the following summarize what you were trying to say?:

You were just laid off from a full time job.

You were able to obtain a part-time job that pays rent/utilities.

You just a got an offer for a full time job that pays $20,000 more a year than your old full-time job.

At the same time, you got an offer for a 30-day temp job so far away you'd have to rent a car.

You are wondering if you should turn down the full-time job offer because you are getting so many phone calls and interviews you may do even better?

You are also wondering if you are required to take the temp job offer even though it requires you rent a car?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 PM

Temp job that lasts 30 days and it makes 20k more than my previous job

Old 10-15-2011, 09:34 PM

Is that 20k in 30 days? If so, that's a heck of a temp job. If it were me, I'd rent a car. They don't cost that much. But I'm not in your shoes. Only you know your field. Clearly, you are highly paid and in demand.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
If 20k over a year, 30 days = an extra $1,667 or so. Subtract a rental and if you shop that should be about 35-40% of the extra gross pay, and assuming extra taxes, most likely for a 30 day gig, you'd still have your old pay plus $600-$800 additional net pay, after rental costs.

Now if you turn it down, you would collect. Does that do as well for you, and how likely is it you will actually be working this month? Next month, etc? Are you getting 2nd interviews, or just first interviews? In short, all of this stuff merits serious thought on your part.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
If 20k over a year, 30 days = an extra $1,667 or so. Subtract a rental and if you shop that should be about 35-40% of the extra gross pay, and assuming extra taxes, most likely for a 30 day gig, you'd still have your old pay plus $600-$800 additional net pay, after rental costs.

Now if you turn it down, you would collect. Does that do as well for you, and how likely is it you will actually be working this month? Next month, etc? Are you getting 2nd interviews, or just first interviews? In short, all of this stuff merits serious thought on your part.
Yes you understand what I am getting at.

1.The 20k is 20k more a year in salary. The job is a temp job that only lasts 30 days. Basically it is a job that will give me income for 1 month.

2.In that month I will of course not have time to interview for a fulltime job.

3. I am able to live off the part time job that I have now so this 30 day gig that is over 50 miles away isnt really needed at the moment.

The question is if the job isnt needed at the moment should I just turn it down and look for a longer duration job?

Old 10-15-2011, 10:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
I assume you'd have to give up the p/t to do it. Its a hard call, and depends largely on how long you expect something better than p/t to take to find? Also is it possible the 30 days could lead to perm? I have seen temp only spots change if they adore the work of the temp, often to OTHER jobs within their company. If they are a large or medium-size (hundreds employed) corp, it could happen.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:40 PM

So, the reality is, this 30-day temp job pays $1,666 more a month than - I assume - your part-time job. Why confuse everyone with the 20k? That's not the reality. 20k is not going in your pocket. $1,666 is.

Since it is gross (before taxes and gas/car rental expenses) $1,666 more per month than X, and only lasts one month and probably requires you give up your part-time job, and requires you rent a car, spend a lot of time and gas $$ driving to and fro......

I wouldn't do it. Unless you think it could lead to something better and you can easily replace your part-time job.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-15-2011 at 10:54 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
So, the reality is, this 30-day temp job pays $1,666 more a month than - I assume - your part-time job. Why confuse everyone with the 20k? That's not the reality. 20k is not going in your pocket. $1,666 is.

Since it is gross (before taxes and gas/car rental expenses) $1,666 more per month than X, and only lasts one month and probably requires you give up your part-time job, and requires you rent a car, spend a lot of time and gas $$ driving to and fro......

I wouldn't do it. Unless you think it could lead to something better and you can easily replace your part-time job.
No it wont theres only 12 employees so I doubt it would lead to other opportunity. I would just be a fill in until the normal guy gets back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment