Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 04:31 AM

234 posts, read 882,653 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me? Who are the people who qualify for public assistance such as Medicaid and welfare and etc?

Is it only for people who are unemployed?

My cousin is getting public assistance. And she has a job, just that she earns 7.50 bucks an hour, she became qualified to get Medicare and welfare food stamps. She was qualified because her income is too low. So she gets health and dental assistance, plus food stamps, and rent help. I mean it is not huge the amount she get for help, but she is getting some help.

There are people who are librarians, who are public workers. Who also benefit from these sources.

Can they?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 06:46 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romila View Post
Can anyone help me? Who are the people who qualify for public assistance such as Medicaid and welfare and etc?

No, not only unemployed. There are poverty guidelines and according to them you may be qualified. You have to meet some other rules like residence and citizenship.
Quote:
My cousin is getting public assistance. And she has a job, just that she earns 7.50 bucks an hour, she became qualified to get Medicare and welfare food stamps. She was qualified because her income is too low. So she gets health and dental assistance, plus food stamps, and rent help. I mean it is not huge the amount she get for help, but she is getting some help.

There are people who are librarians, who are public workers. Who also benefit from these sources.

Can they?
Sure they can. I'ts all depends if they fall under the guidelines. For example a man who earns 1800$ as public worker and has a stay at home wife with 4 kids, will get help.
You can check the guidelines at your state welfare site.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:41 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,671 times
If you're on SSI or SSDI you can get that stuff too.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,873 times
Quote:

Can they?
You can only get assistance if you have kids or are disabled. Otherwise, you can die in the streets for all anyone cares.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM

25,579 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Food stamps should available to anyone with no income and no assets.

Many employers paying minimum wage, not providing health insurance, tell their employees to file for food stamps and Medicaid or state low income health insurance.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:50 AM

234 posts, read 882,653 times
But with America in a deep recession, in financial crises, can these needy people still get assistance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment