Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,387 times

Advertisements

I have been on unemployment on an off, broken by periods of returning to my original job then being laid off again. Recently I worked part time as a sort of probationary period for for a new job in a new field. The job could have become permanent but it didn't work out that way. I reported these two weeks of part time work and the money I made on my unemployment continuation form only to receive a notice that I can no longer collect unemployment because I didn't look for work during one of the weeks that I was working part time. I have the appeal form and I had assume I wasn't required to look for work while working part time but I need to be sure. I couldn't find an answer on EDD's own website and so now I've turned to the forums. If I'm in the wrong I still want to know and if I'm correct in what I assume then I'd like to be able to print up of a copy of the actual wording the EDD policy uses in order to include it on my appeal form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,050 times
Although I live in So Cal - my unemployment comes out of Texas (since I only moved here in June) - I have to look for work even if I earn some income from a part time or temporary job. Guessing you should have looked since it wasn't permanent/full-time. Hopefully your appeal will be looked at favorably - and they will allow you to begin collecting again.

Out of Texas they penalized me 6 weeks because the reason I lost my job was because my husband was transferred with a promotion to CA and I chose to move with him. I lost my appeal.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
I don't think it's because you didn't look for work for one week.

I think it's the separation issue from the two-week job that is giving you the problem.

If it was the not looking for work, you'd have only received a one-week disqualification, but you say, "I can no longer collect unemployment."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment