Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times

Advertisements

My situation is complicated. I just started collecting unemployment in NC. I'm getting the maximum - $522. I have a disabled child and applied for SSI and Medicaid for him. My husband is working but not making a gob of money - he's working as a bartender and the pay is sucky. However, the place he's working for gives benefits which is good. The thing is our income will probably disqualify us from SSI and Medicaid. I actually don't really want either. I really only want to qualify for Medicaid but I don't plan on using it. In NC you generally only get Medicaid if you get SSI. SSI goes by income and my husband's salary - even though it isn't much - combined my my UI benefits will likely disqualify us. I am going to start doing some freelance work but I won't see money for awhile yet. Back to why I want to qualify for Medicaid...NC has a program called NC HIPPP. It pays the employer sponsored insurance premium if you have a family member that qualifies for Medicaid. I was wondering if I could either not claim unemployment for awhile or maybe perhaps just say I'm working a few days a week - which I will be doing and which will obviously lower my weekly benefit. Then the government would have to qualify us for SSI and Medicaid. I know I have a year to claim my 26 weeks so I was thinking I'd 'put off' some weeks until later in my benefit year. Is this a good idea? Also can I reopen a claim if I don't claim all 26 weeks in my current benefit year? Is it possible to claim 13 weeks at the end of my current benefit year and then reopen my claim and get the remaining 13 weeks in the following year? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I was wondering if I could either not claim unemployment for awhile or maybe perhaps just say I'm working a few days a week - which I will be doing and which will obviously lower my weekly benefit. Then the government would have to qualify us for SSI and Medicaid. I know I have a year to claim my 26 weeks so I was thinking I'd 'put off' some weeks until later in my benefit year. Is this a good idea?
If you've already begun claiming, you can stop at any time. Can't answer if it's a good idea. If govt later discovers the income when you start the claim again, you may be disqualified from your SSI/Medicaid.

Quote:
Also can I reopen a claim if I don't claim all 26 weeks in my current benefit year?
Yes.

Quote:
Is it possible to claim 13 weeks at the end of my current benefit year and then reopen my claim and get the remaining 13 weeks in the following year?
No. State benefits are only payable during the benefit year. If you reach your benefit year end (bye) without exhausting all your state benefits, they are lost.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,310 times
Default Insurance Idea...

Im not sure about NC but in NY you can qualify in your situation to opt for a step up from medicaid and pay an affordable amount based on household income. Im not an expert but I have used both NY Medicaid and CT SAGA which is CT version of medicaid. I would call 311 and talk to an operator in your area about pursuing a legitimate practical option. But by no means and I repeat by no means stop claiming your benefits unless you can afford to do so. You will complicate things for yourself. I hope I was of help and my best of luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment