Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 02:52 PM

265 posts, read 155,755 times

Advertisements

When I was in high school seems like clothes were more important but, if you take care of clothes - they last a long time.

But when is it time to thrown in the towel.

I have an expensive at one time pair of briefs that the elastic doesn't seem to gra as well. It is not uncomfortable or annoying to the point where they will fall down but after years of wear ....

I have a pair of warm ups I wear to the gym that are the same deal. The draw string does not seem to work as well as it once did. But they don't fall down. But after years of wear....

Same with other warms ups the zipper broke but I just put a new one on so those are still good.

I have a ski shell which I have spent an hour or so on the long bus ride I used to take to work sewing up the holes and it still looks really good. It is all black so it is easy to look good still but still...

When do you chuck a pair of shoes? I still wear them if they are rubber soled on the bottoms with a few holes in the heel.

I have motorcycle gloves which I have sewed and sewed but finally just threw them in the back of my truck and will not be using them any more as I have other ones or will buy new for light weight gloves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 04:40 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
It takes a lot for me to throw things out. I know how to see and mend and I have a sewing machine so minor rips or even a small moth hole get repaired.

Definitely worn elastic; also fabric that's worn through and rips that can't be repaired discreetly. Anything visibly stained that can't be cleaned away. Shoes- mostly I buy very good shoes that can be re-soled so it would have to be when they were at the point they could no longer be repaired. Athletic shoes are an exception; I wear them till the soles wear out. I don't do the type of serious running that requires perfect shoes.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:41 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"When do you chuck a pair of shoes?"
when they are not safe (slip-and-fall) to wear.
they could be old or new. do not care.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:52 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I give my old clothes to my art teacher. I don’t feel guilty about it. There’s a use.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
It takes a lot for me to throw things out. I know how to see and mend and I have a sewing machine so minor rips or even a small moth hole get repaired.

Definitely worn elastic; also fabric that's worn through and rips that can't be repaired discreetly. Anything visibly stained that can't be cleaned away. Shoes- mostly I buy very good shoes that can be re-soled so it would have to be when they were at the point they could no longer be repaired. Athletic shoes are an exception; I wear them till the soles wear out. I don't do the type of serious running that requires perfect shoes.
Worn elastic that still stays on will make you throw something out but you will repair rips?

I draw the line in rips since I noticed they’ll just rip again especially dress shirts by the elbows.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I buy clothes at the thrift store. It's easy to part with a garment I spent $4 on and wore plenty of times over the span of four or five years. I usually pay $7 for a pair of shoes and I'll discard them if they start looking shabby. Undergarments need to be bought new and I'll wear bras ($50 each, I wear a size that's nearly impossible to find) until they're very worn out. I replace underwear if they get holes or the elastic quits working right...I'm not going to walk around pulling up my panties every four or five steps.

For my husband's clothes, I'll discard dress shirts if they start looking frayed at the cuffs or collar, or if the collar becomes pilled from his 5 o'clock shadow. Pants get replaced if they get holes. Jeans usually only get replaced if the style changes a lot (for example, from relaxed fit to straight fit) or if they've faded to an ugly color.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:32 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
At this moment, I am wearing a pair of Reeboks that I bought in a thrift shop eleven years ago for a dollar.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:10 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Lol @ the underwear thing.

When I was a teen, i did the laundry, but my brother and I had to fold and put away all the clothes for everyone. It was his only job laundry wise to help, and mother was physically unable to do the laundry.

He pulled out a pair of underwear and held them up and said loudly " who has the underwear with the paperclip holding the elastic together "???

It was an old pair of MY underwear that was the "last resort wash day" underwear. The elastic had given out so i used a paperclip to hold the elastic together.

My mother was shocked, dismayed and embarrassed!

Since then my mother had always made sure to buy me underwear not just as a Christmas present but in june or July as well!!!

Thats how far I've gone with underwear!

I have over the years kept other clothing/shoes until parts of me were showing publicly, but not so much for cheapness but for the fact it/they were my favorite.

Now on shoes, by the time the soles become worn to a point close to slipping and falling, ill get a new pair as i am handicapped and use a cane. The last thing I need is to slip and fall and break something. I used to keep favorites growing up until literally my toes were coming out of them.

Now a days if i really like something and can affird it, ill buy 2 ( at reasonable price) of them to alternate wear.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:19 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
I tend to over keep some clothes because they are my favorites. Lol! Growing up we had Sunday/dress-up clothes, school clothes and and after school clothes. After school clothes were the ones that had something that made them not as publicly acceptable like holes, fading or stains. They were good enough for playing. I try to keep that same concept, but I need more good clothes for everyday that are publicly acceptable.

Worn clothes are good for painting and gardening, but I have too many of those. We don't make 'rags' put of old clothes anymore. I simply don't need as many with my current lifestyle. I try to keep some basics around and replace when they don't fit as well or don't look as well kept. Sometimes I love stuff so much, I have to force myself to go out and shop.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:58 AM

Underwear thrown out. track pants have a draw string so I figured I can just pull them in and tie them in a knot which, you are supposed to do anyway, so they are staying. I also save old clothes for working on the truck (old).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living