Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 PM

46 posts, read 245,964 times

Advertisements

I was laid off in 2010. Thursday I will be out of work for 30 months. I have depleted my life savings and I have given up all hope. I swallowed my pride a year and a half ago and began going after any job and when I say any job, I literally mean ANY job. I've applied at grocery stores, retail chains, drug stores, liquor stores hell I even applied at a damn Dojo cleaning the floors, windows and toilets once a day for two hours for 20.00.

I was told I was overqualified or too old (the Dojo) I'll be 31 in Oct!!!

I need any advice I can possibly get to do SOMETHING!!! I don't care what the hell it is anymore. Right now I'm making like 6.00 a day answering questions on ChaCha the rest of my time is spent online looking for work. If anyone knows of any other job sites I can use besides Indeed, Monster, CareerBuilder, Snagajob or Craigslist then please for the love of god post them!!!

I only have a High School Diploma. But I have years of experience in Retail Management and Factory Work. I also have extensive knowledge in computer repair and networking.

Last edited by JK1981; 07-31-2012 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
You should tell us if you have a college degree and what it is.

I'm hurting at nearly 4 years unemployed and lately I've been a little depressed at applying for jobs.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

I'm hurting at nearly 4 years unemployed and lately I've been a little depressed at applying for jobs.
Edited my post. Sorry.

Also sorry to see you have been out of work for so long.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1981 View Post
I was laid off in 2010. Thursday I will be out of work for 30 months. I have depleted my life savings and I have given up all hope. I swallowed my pride a year and a half ago and began going after any job and when I say any job, I literally mean ANY job. I've applied at grocery stores, retail chains, drug stores, liquor stores hell I even applied at a damn Dojo cleaning the floors, windows and toilets once a day for two hours for 20.00.

I was told I was overqualified or too old (the Dojo) I'll be 31 in Oct!!!

I need any advice I can possibly get to do SOMETHING!!! I don't care what the hell it is anymore. Right now I'm making like 6.00 a day answering questions on ChaCha the rest of my time is spent online looking for work. If anyone knows of any other job sites I can use besides Indeed, Monster, CareerBuilder, Snagajob or Craigslist then please for the love of god post them!!!
Hello there ! I don't know where you live but just look around at all of those auto's and trucks in the parking lots mall's , shopping centers! see the clouded lights on some of them ? Thats money just waiting for you to take . Yep a little water, a little sand paper 400, 600 , 800, grit, some buffing compoung ( orange 1st and white 2nd , some liquid polish , and a buffer( pawn shop item), then your in business. Whoops ! one other thing you need , how is it done ( headlight referbishing ). DM me and I will explain it very easy to do . it can be done at their home , garage, or truck stop. $25.00 per vehicle , takes obout 1/2 hr each vehicle. Low investment mobile business, and a great money maker. work as many hrs as you want no reason you can't make $500.00 + a week .

Old 07-31-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Hello there ! I don't know where you live but just look around at all of those auto's and trucks in the parking lots mall's , shopping centers! see the clouded lights on some of them ? Thats money just waiting for you to take . Yep a little water, a little sand paper 400, 600 , 800, grit, some buffing compoung ( orange 1st and white 2nd , some liquid polish , and a buffer( pawn shop item), then your in business. Whoops ! one other thing you need , how is it done ( headlight referbishing ). DM me and I will explain it very easy to do . it can be done at their home , garage, or truck stop. $25.00 per vehicle , takes obout 1/2 hr each vehicle. Low investment mobile business, and a great money maker. work as many hrs as you want no reason you can't make $500.00 + a week .
I actually did this a few months back. I bought the entire kit at the auto parts store for like 25.00. I was given a loitering citation. I even made up some flyers and hung them on the free cork boards at the stores etc. Never got any calls. Thanks for the tip though.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
Have you listed with an Employment or "Temp" agency?

Your State's Unemployment Office should have an Employment agency connected with it.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

It does get depressing trying and getting nowhere. I think you have a better chance winning the Lotto then landing a job.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:59 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I also got laid off in 2010, I was working for an insurance office for 8 years, when were merged in the fall of 2009 with another company I knew it did not look good. Needless to say in May 2010 after coming back from a week off I was let go. I went on 50 interviews, sent out over 200 resumes and got nothing! finally in May 2011 I decided to apply to the local Schools as a food service worker and got a call in Semptember 2011 to come in for an interview. I am still working there however I am only a sub so if they don't call me I don't get paid, I also don't get paid for summers off but would get paid once I become permanent. I work in a school cafeteria serving lunch and snacks, washing pots and pans. Now my husband had a job for 21 years got fired June 30th this year because his boss found out he was looking for another job. So far we have sent 50 resume's and nothing has panned out yet. I know what you are going through. I actually applied for a job at my local super market chain stop and shop and She said I got the job but would call me to do the actual hiring and paperwork sometime this week. I will have 2 part time jobs come September. Why don't you try and apply in a school as a custodian? They make good money. Mcdonald's is always hiring too. I applied there but no call back and I am 41. I got very depressed too, slept alot, no energy to get up and do things until one day my husband said "enough!" Check you local penny saver or news paper for jobs too. What about selling stuff on Ebay??? That's what we are doing to make extra cash.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:53 AM

90 posts, read 344,432 times
Here in IL, the cafeteria workers get unemployment payments when they are off in the summer.

I have no idea why (certainly they know it's a seasonal job) but IDES approves their claims. I know many, many moms who collect UI in the summer when they are off.

Maybe NY is the same?

Old 08-01-2012, 01:26 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
Hey JK - you should get on food stamps and some kind of public aid if a good job is hard to get. -- That's the way I'm surviving now, plus my parents pay the bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment