Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 05:15 PM

55 posts, read 134,795 times

Advertisements

I live in California and I am on Tier 1.

I am contemplating a move to Pittsburgh and I want to make certain I am clear on how interstate claim reporting works.

I understand once I am in Pittsburgh, I need to register with their unemployment office and notify CA of where I am now seeking work. I figured I would leave with a CA claim form and report the new address in order to maintain consistency. I think there may be a lapse in time, before receiving a new claim form, while CA does whatever they have to do or not do when someone moves to another state. CA continues to be the state to administer my UI, correct? My BYE is sometime in September and I think I will be on Tier 2, or close to starting it.

Also, when there is a reduction in the unemployment rate, which state will I "fall" under, CA or PA? If it is PA, would extension benefits cease completely or be reduced in weeks, if their unemployment rate is lower than the national?

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 06:17 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnet57 View Post
I understand once I am in Pittsburgh, I need to register with their unemployment office and notify CA of where I am now seeking work. I figured I would leave with a CA claim form and report the new address in order to maintain consistency. I think there may be a lapse in time, before receiving a new claim form, while CA does whatever they have to do or not do when someone moves to another state.
You might want to call EDD and report that address change before you move. It might avoid a delay in sending future claim forms. Also, I'm not so sure CA requires you register with PA. PA is not the easiest state to deal with. I would ask EDD about that when you report the change of address.
Quote:
How do I report an address change or telephone number change on my UI claim?
You can report an address change using three methods:
1. On the bi-weekly certification, Continued Claim Form, DE 4581, mark the box on question 8, and complete Section D on the reverse side of form. Claimants who wish to change their address cannot do so while using EDD Web-CertSM or EDD Tele-CertSM certification methods.
2. You can also report an address or telephone number change by telephone. Contact UI and we will change your address while you're on the telephone. To protect your privacy, be prepared to provide claim verification information.
3. Write us a letter and include the following information:
  • Your name
  • Social Security number
  • New address and/or telephone number
  • Your signature
Mail the letter to:
UI Consolidated Service Center - North
PO Box 269017
Sacramento, CA 95826

OR

UI Consolidated Service Center - South
PO Box 19010
San Bernardino, CA 92423

Quote:
CA continues to be the state to administer my UI, correct?
Yes.

Quote:
My BYE is sometime in September and I think I will be on Tier 2, or close to starting it.
CA will automatically take care of the recertification at your bye - if you have not worked during your benefit year. Keep claiming.

If you worked during your benefit year, YOU need to submit a new claim application online in order to trigger the recertification process.

Quote:
Also, when there is a reduction in the unemployment rate, which state will I "fall" under, CA or PA?
California.

Per FAQS:
Quote:
9. I want to move to another state. Can I still collect benefits?

Yes. Your benefits are not affected by resident state triggers if you move, only those applicable to your claiming state.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment