Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 19,572 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been out of full time work for almost 2 years now(working part time making) I live in Illinois. My second benefit year 26 weeks ran out and I was placed back into tier 1 of my EUC that I had left over from 1st year claim. I have proceded into tier 3 which is aboout done. My question is do I qualify for the EB 20 weeks which my state offers? What happens when my actual benefit year ends next month? Will I get any benefits? Is 99 weeks the max or would I actually get more weeks due the fact I qualified for a 2 benefit year. Any help is appreciated. Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 12:53 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenmean View Post
Hello, I have been out of full time work for almost 2 years now(working part time making) I live in Illinois. My second benefit year 26 weeks ran out and I was placed back into tier 1 of my EUC that I had left over from 1st year claim. I have proceded into tier 3 which is aboout done.

Illinois will next transition you to Tier 4 of your 1st claim - for another 6 weeks of benefits.

My question is do I qualify for the EB 20 weeks which my state offers?

Not on Claim 1. Possibly Claim 2. EB is only paid on the last claim.

However, inasmuch as you received 26 weeks' benefits from the 2nd claim, it, too, should qualify for EUC tier benefits.

Therefore, Illinois will pay 2nd claim EUC tier benefits before 2nd claim EB.

What happens when my actual benefit year ends next month?

Illinois will review your earnings during the past benefit year for new claim eligibility.

Will I get any benefits?

You will either continue to exhaust benefits remaining from your first and second claims, or begin another round of state benefits from a new 3rd claim.

If a 3rd claim is established, all tiers and EB from the 2nd claim are lost.

However, under Hr4213, if your first claim expired after July 24, 2010 and
the new benefit is $100 or 25% lower than the benefit on the first claim, you have the right to defer payment of state benefits under the 3rd claim until your EUC tier benefits from the 1st claim are exhausted.

Be aware Illinois sends out conflicting correspondence when it does a review for a new claim at a bye. Since you are receiving EUC, Illinois will do this review automatically. The first letter from Illinois may say there are insufficient earnings for a new claim and you are not entitled to benefits. Do not let this alarm you.

You need to call Illinois promptly to recertify your claims in order to continue receiving benefits.

Is 99 weeks the max or would I actually get more weeks due the fact I qualified for a 2 benefit year.

If a third claim is not opened, you will receive 73 weeks from your first claim and potentially 99 weeks from your second claim - provided Congress extends the unemployment legislation which expires December 31, 2011.

If Congress does not extend the legislation, you will receive the state benefits from a new 3rd claim and what remains of any tier you happen to be collecting at the end of the year, provided you begin that tier benefit before the end of the year.

Any help is appreciated. Thx
Somewhat complex, I know. With multiple claims, there are many variables.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:30 PM

My first year claim amount paid each week was $385, 2nd year was $315. I am now back on $385. I have worked part time for a year making $120 a week. What can I expect going into the end of my second year?

Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
My first year claim amount paid each week was $385, 2nd year was $315. I am now back on $385. I have worked part time for a year making $120 a week. What can I expect going into the end of my second year?
Here is an Illinois benefit calculator:

Illinois Unemployment Benefits

Using $1,500 a quarter in that calculator, it appears your benefit on a new claim would be $54 a week or thereabouts, unless Illinois is able to capture earnings from another higher-wage period when it does its review.

Illinois does have procedures in place for HR4213, but you only have a few weeks left on Claim 1 tiers. Clearly, it would be best if you didn't qualify for a new claim at all and could continue on Claim 2 tiers. Don't know how you can get around that, however, if you've been working steadily for the past 12 months. A new claim will void any EUC/EB benefits on Claim 2.

Let us know what happens. Wish the forecast was a bit better for you.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Here is an Illinois benefit calculator:

Illinois Unemployment Benefits

Using $1,500 a quarter in that calculator, it appears your benefit on a new claim would be $54 a week or thereabouts, unless Illinois is able to capture earnings from another higher-wage period when it does its review.

Illinois does have procedures in place for HR4213, but you only have a few weeks left on Claim 1 tiers. Clearly, it would be best if you didn't qualify for a new claim at all and could continue on Claim 2 tiers. Don't know how you can get around that, however, if you've been working steadily for the past 12 months. A new claim will void any EUC/EB benefits on Claim 2.

Let us know what happens. Wish the forecast was a bit better for you.

I am confused....if congress extends benefits program would i actually get tiers 1-4 on my second benefit year too? even though I also got them on my first benefit year and about used them all? If they do establish a 3rd benefit year I could use HR4213($100/25%) to stay on the tiers? Thx for help!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 AM

My comments in bold:
Quote:
I am confused....if congress extends benefits program would i actually get tiers 1-4 on my second benefit year too? even though I also got them on my first benefit year and about used them all?

Yes. But only IF there is no 3rd claim. It is possible to collect tiers on more than one claim if the timing is right and Congress extends the legislation.

Please reread post #2 carefully. A 3rd claim voids all rights to EUC and EB from Claim 2 - unless you began drawing EUC benefits BEFORE the establishment of Claim 3.

If they do establish a 3rd benefit year I could use HR4213($100/25%) to stay on the tiers?

Only for 1st claim benefits - which is your PARENT CLAIM and which benefits are almost exhausted.

Your 2nd claim is NOT your parent claim. HR4213 would not apply for 2nd claim benefits.

Your best hope is no 3rd claim.

Thx for help!

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-12-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 10-12-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
My comments in bold:

would i even get the 3rd claim as the amount of $54 a week is less then I make at my part time job of $120 a week as they only allow 50% of weekly.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:06 PM

The 3rd claim will be established and exist for one year even if benefits are not paid. You can claim against it at any time within that year.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
The 3rd claim will be established and exist for one year even if benefits are not paid. You can claim against it at any time within that year.

However, under Hr4213, if your first claim expired after July 24, 2010 and
the new benefit is $100 or 25% lower than the benefit on the first claim, you have the right to defer payment of state benefits under the 3rd claim until your EUC tier benefits from the 1st claim are exhausted.[LEFT]
Read more: 2nd Benefit year ending soon do I get EB?
[/LEFT]

Would this mean that I would be able to get my 20 weeks EB from first claim as my new claim would be over $300 less per week???

Old 10-18-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenmean;21338063[quote
However, under Hr4213, if your first claim expired after July 24, 2010 and the new benefit is $100 or 25% lower than the benefit on the first claim, you have the right to defer payment of state benefits under the 3rd claim until your EUC tier benefits from the 1st claim are exhausted.
Would this mean that I would be able to get my 20 weeks EB from first claim as my new claim would be over $300 less per week???[/quote]
No. The above quote clearly states EUC tier benefits.

EB (Extended Benefits) is a separate and distinct program apart from EUC (Emergency Unemployment Compensation) tier benefits. EB is payable only on the latest unemployment claim, if that claim qualifies. Whenever a new claim is opened, any EB available on the previous claim is lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment