Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM

113 posts, read 393,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Where in this thread does OP state he doesn't look for work?

Your lack of comprehension and shoot-from the hip response is what is scary and nonsensical. Show me where in this thread OP states he doesn't look for work? Where do I say it is OK for OP not to look for work? Nowhere.

You can't get past the security guard in most places these days, much less walk in and get a signature when one has applied for a job. Possibly, if one makes it to the personal interview stage, an acknowledgement of the interview can be obtained then. Unless you are talking about low-level work with casual/informal work environments. Illinois has an REA process wherein they review work searches. By now, OP should have already attended one of those.
Far from scary or nonsensical. It may be a hard cup to swallow but I don't consider your opinions as absolute nor the authority on how I frame mine. I disagree with you and the O.P. And thats ok.

1. The O.P. has mentioned in previous posts he has chosen not to seek employment. His feelings are that the benefits along with SS provide him a better income than what a job would. I wanted to better understand the O.P. so read some of these other comments from the past. I thought you had as well. A good example of going beyond his current posts in this thread is your definition of him killing himself with hard work. I don't see that he has presented that in this current post but reading his other comments I didn't find that literal but maybe in his own mind. Maybe this was an assumption of yours from his prior posts?

2. If he isn't looking for work then you are now saying that's NOT ok?

3. I'm also real good with REA as well. Just to make sure. They need to be consistent.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,126,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_me View Post
In prior posts he has stated he does not look for work because he'd make less than what he's currently getting with his benefits.

I have been on it for 2 1/2 months and it's driving me crazy. They know me by my first name at the local one stop because I'm in there so much looking at the hot jobs and heading on out to fill out applications. The California EDD caljobs website is horrible. The lack of jobs they offer and not updating them doesn't help much but I keep at it. I'd love just one extension just in case as I've come up with plan B should my 26 weeks be completed before I can find a job.

Try not to depend on the EDD site for jobs because PA has a similar site and I just look at it for backup. Try and have a list of your main sites you go to on a daily and let the EDD site be the very last one.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:37 PM

113 posts, read 393,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Try not to depend on the EDD site for jobs because PA has a similar site and I just look at it for backup. Try and have a list of your main sites you go to on a daily and let the EDD site be the very last one.
Thanks. I do the exact same thing as you. I'm basically hitting up caljobs to fulfill the requirement of using it. I am utilizing every on line source possible as well. I don't know how it happened but at least on one job search site it sells or uses your contact info and for about 3 weeks I was getting crazy calls from a bunch of people with really thick accents offering me jobs I'd never applied to and all I had to do was give them my checking account so they could start sending me money for work. Do people really do this stuff? When I'd say no they'd call back and start yelling at me. Unemployment is just so much fun

Old 11-20-2012, 03:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,126,402 times
Quote:
Thanks. I do the exact same thing as you. I'm basically hitting up caljobs to fulfill the requirement of using it. I am utilizing every on line source possible as well. I don't know how it happened but at least on one job search site it sells or uses your contact info and for about 3 weeks I was getting crazy calls from a bunch of people with really thick accents offering me jobs I'd never applied to and all I had to do was give them my checking account so they could start sending me money for work. Do people really do this stuff? When I'd say no they'd call back and start yelling at me. Unemployment is just so much fun

I have gotten 2 Interviews from the PA site so I don't knock it too much because I know it has it;s good months and bad months.

So far the good months were

February
March
May
October

LOL

Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 PM

234 posts, read 686,937 times
when people act like its a entitlement you can understand the republicans perspective so be thankful for the unemployment benefits its not a god given right. when you talk like a pig people look at you as a pig. that's all i was saying to the guy who made that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdavie View Post
This is the part from Republicans that I dont understand either. They think getting a 15 dollar free phone from 'Obama' (like he writes the check directly) is some kind of FREE STUFF .

People get STOCKING STUFFERS that are more expensive than this, let alone the gifts under the tree.

I think the meager food stamps , unemployment and other entitlements are not some kind of quality of life and the Republicans should endorse the stuff AND then work to get us back to work.

Not threaten to cut off what little we have.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 PM

810 posts, read 1,765,218 times
I am honestly unsure what will happen Jan 01. I am scared and pushing harder than ever to find a job, anything I am not even looking for my "dream career" at this point I will accept anything - clerical, customer service, retail, even working in a restaurant.
I would love to be lucky enough to find 2 jobs 1 full time and a part time job just to keep a roof over my head and at this point I can't afford to be picky if I have to work for minimum wage then so be it.
I can't imagine how scary this is for people just starting their ui claim.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 PM

104 posts, read 261,425 times
Default Wrong things in this world....

I lost my job in 2010...had it happened years earlier I would be in BIG trouble like 1000's around the USA are now. September 8, 2010 I lost my job. I turned 62 three months later and got on SS also. I got a severence package to tide me over also....few are that "lucky."
I don't have all the answers....but I do know people need help and need extensions. My case is RARE....SS and unemployment. I'm sorry for upsetting people....just telling MY story. My weeks will end at the end of the year....I will delete this forum from my favorites. But you people must keep the faith and hope that tomorrow for you will be better. The people making the "rules" have NO idea what it's like...
I wish you all luck....and sorry for my sometimes "getting under peoples skin"...

Last edited by JMT; 11-20-2012 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: Keep politics out of this, please.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,357,168 times
Quote:
The O.P. has admitted he does not look for work. Thats not a scam?

Your response has so much nonsense in it, it's a bit scary. Your perception seems to be so many screw the system it's no big deal. I don't see his approach as legal. Maybe I'll call unemployment and ask if it's ok if I don't look for work. I see no justification in the O.P. continuing to collect a benefit while he's not looking for a job and brags that without the benefit he'd do just fine financially. I disagree with your assessment that getting a signature from someone that states you did apply for a position would be ridiculous. Congrats to your friend for landing a job over the phone. I hope it's legit and there won't be any regrets on the employers part when they show up for the first time to start work.

Honestly, I'm not sure the O.P. is legit. I've read enough of their prior post to wonder if it's a sock account type of situation.
Same here. He may just be someone who "hates" the unemployed having a good laugh when he gets a rise out of people.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 PM

810 posts, read 1,765,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illininutt View Post
I lost my job in 2010...had it happened years earlier I would be in BIG trouble like 1000's around the USA are now. September 8, 2010 I lost my job. I turned 62 three months later and got on SS also. I got a severence package to tide me over also....few are that "lucky."
I don't have all the answers....but I do know people need help and need extensions. My case is RARE....SS and unemployment. I'm sorry for upsetting people....just telling MY story. My weeks will end at the end of the year....I will delete this forum from my favorites. But you people must keep the faith and hope that tomorrow for you will be better. The people making the "rules" have NO idea what it's like...
I wish you all luck....and sorry for my sometimes "getting under peoples skin"...
I wish you luck ill. I don't know of any drama with you and that's good. I just hope that things turn around quickly.

Last edited by JMT; 11-20-2012 at 08:48 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM

30,374 posts, read 23,843,664 times
I'm not going to be popular here but I have to say, maybe the OP does deserve it.

He put in 43 fricken years of work. Some of us haven't even been alive that long. He didn't scam the system for 43 years, he WORKED for 43 years.

Now let's do some math.

Let's say that he got this job at 20 years old. He's at least 63 now. Let's be serious, in today's market with employers finding all kinds of excuses NOT to hire people, do you really think it's easy for the OP to find a job at his age? Seriously? And if he was willing to wash tables at a hot dog stand, I would say that is far more than some people I've seen on this forum who claim they won't work for less than x amount of dollars per hour.

As I said, I am not going to be popular with this opinion, but this is one Republican who has NO PROBLEM with someone like this "getting a hand out" after all this time. This is not even the same as someone who has worked a few years and then sits on unenjoyment for two years. This person put in their time, paid in to this system for 43 fricken years...yah, don't see the issue here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment