Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:24 PM

27 posts, read 55,341 times

Advertisements

I just tried to file for the 2 week period ending 12/29. The site told me that my year had expired. My claim start date was 1/1/12. I used up my first 26 weeks in November(I was working part time) and went over to EUC right after. I've collected that twice, I think, since then. Shouldn't I still be able to collect at least through the 12/29 period?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 01:33 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickland View Post
I just tried to file for the 2 week period ending 12/29. The site told me that my year had expired. My claim start date was 1/1/12. I used up my first 26 weeks in November(I was working part time) and went over to EUC right after. I've collected that twice, I think, since then. Shouldn't I still be able to collect at least through the 12/29 period?
You need to call NJ. Your benefit year has expired.

What does your claim data tell you? Your benefit year-end date is shown somewhere. If that date occurred earlier than 12/29, you need to CALL NJ and SPEAK to a rep to RECERTIFY your claim.

In NJ, recertification cannot be done online. You must call NJ in order to collect week ending 12/29 - and any further benefits due you if Congress passes an extension - which it appears it is very close to doing.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,940 times
I have the same exact problem!! I last filed on 12/16 and was due to file my last two weeks yesterday. I received the same expired claim message. I have been calling but cannot get through!! And now they are closed for the holiday!! Uggggg!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You need to call NJ. Your benefit year has expired.

What does your claim data tell you? Your benefit year-end date is shown somewhere. If that date occurred earlier than 12/29, you need to CALL NJ and SPEAK to a rep to RECERTIFY your claim.

In NJ, recertification cannot be done online. You must call NJ in order to collect week ending 12/29 - and any further benefits due you if Congress passes an extension - which it appears it is very close to doing.
On my EUC form, which they sent me in early November, it lists 12/29 as the date my benefit year expires. My beginning date was 11/3. On my original 26 week claim, I'd have to look but I recall distinctly that my start date was 1/1/12. The end date would be 12/31, wouldn't it? I thought the 12/29 date on the EUC was because that was when those benefits were set to expire unless Congress extended it. But I had still assumed I'd be entitled to it. It's not like I could have filed on 12/29 when that period wasn't up yet.

I tried calling. Well, first I tried claiming the benefits by phone. Online, as soon as I signed in, it said that my benefit year was up. By phone, I got further. I got through all the questions including the final one certifying that your answers were truthful. But then instead of confirming the money, it said, I believe, and I'm not sure of the exact wording, that it could not process my request at this time, but I would receive some sort of credit.

Then I tried talking with a live person, but this was one of those days that waiting was not an option. You just get a message telling you that due to call volume that no representative can talk to you at this time, and to call back later. It stayed this way until 4:30 when they close.

Thank you for the advice about recertification.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
On my EUC form, which they sent me in early November, it lists 12/29 as the date my benefit year expires.
No, that is not your benefit year expiration. That is the last date EUC tier benefits can be paid. What you received was a notice on end of federal benefits - not end of your benefit year.
Quote:
My beginning date was 11/3.
What began 11/3? Your most recent tier transition?
Quote:
On my original 26 week claim, I'd have to look but I recall distinctly that my start date was 1/1/12. The end date would be 12/31, wouldn't it?
Yes. If your benefit year began 1/1/12, your benefit year end would be 12/31/12.

However, you need to define "start date." Is start date the Sunday of the first week benefits were paid? NJ has a one-week waiting period. If 1/1/12 is the first week for which you could be paid benefits, your claim actually began no later than 12/25/11 and has since expired.

If so, you need to call NJ to recertify. You cannot do this online. NJ has since removed this language, as EUC no longer exists, but up until a week ago, this what their website stated:
Quote:
This application cannot be used to apply for a new EUC (extended benefits) claim or reopen an existing EUC (extended benefits) claim.

https://njsuccess.dol.state.nj.us/html/uimain.html
Since you want the ability to claim that last week of EUC, you need to call NJ to recertify your claim.

Quote:
I tried calling. Well, first I tried claiming the benefits by phone. Online, as soon as I signed in, it said that my benefit year was up. By phone, I got further. I got through all the questions including the final one certifying that your answers were truthful. But then instead of confirming the money, it said, I believe, and I'm not sure of the exact wording, that it could not process my request at this time, but I would receive some sort of credit.

Then I tried talking with a live person, but this was one of those days that waiting was not an option. You just get a message telling you that due to call volume that no representative can talk to you at this time, and to call back later. It stayed this way until 4:30 when they close.
Many NJ people go to their local offices when they have trouble with the phones. The local UE offices have phone banks. You will get through to a representative there. You may need to do that.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
No, that is not your benefit year expiration. That is the last date EUC tier benefits can be paid. What you received was a notice on end of federal benefits - not end of your benefit year.

What began 11/3? Your most recent tier transition?
I am typing this with the form they sent me to inform me that I was eligible for EUC in front of me. I was off with the 11/3 date. 11/3 is listed as the date that I exhausted the benefits from my original claim. The form says that as of 11/4 I am eligible for EUC benefits. The amount is $8,554. The date of my original claim is 1/1/12. Benefit year ending date, that is the exact wording, is 12/29/12. And it says I am in EUC tier 1.

I remember the date I filed a claim. My last day at work at my full time job was 1/4/12. I filed the next day. I had assumed I was given a 1/1 claim date because it was the first day of that period. I was told to file on 1/18 for the first time, but it was for the period ending 1/15.

Quote:
Yes. If your benefit year began 1/1/12, your benefit year end would be 12/31/12.
Okay.

Quote:
However, you need to define "start date." Is start date the Sunday of the first week benefits were paid? NJ has a one-week waiting period. If 1/1/12 is the first week for which you could be paid benefits, your claim actually began no later than 12/25/11 and has since expired.
By start date, I meant the date given to my claim. I explained the first time I filed, and the period it covered, above.

Quote:
If so, you need to call NJ to recertify. You cannot do this online. NJ has since removed this language, as EUC no longer exists, but up until a week ago, this what their website stated:
Since you want the ability to claim that last week of EUC, you need to call NJ to recertify your claim.

Many NJ people go to their local offices when they have trouble with the phones. The local UE offices have phone banks. You will get through to a representative there. You may need to do that.
First I'll try calling first thing in the morning. If you do that, my experience anyway, they even have a feature where they will call you back so you don't have to wait for an operator. I've never gotten the call back message in the morning. Not that I've called much. Just the couple times that I couldn't file online or through the automated phone due to some glitch in the system.

Just to clarify, based on the info I listed, I should still tell them I want to recertify?

Old 12-31-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I am typing this with the form they sent me to inform me that I was eligible for EUC in front of me. I was off with the 11/3 date. 11/3 is listed as the date that I exhausted the benefits from my original claim. The form says that as of 11/4 I am eligible for EUC benefits. The amount is $8,554. The date of my original claim is 1/1/12. Benefit year ending date, that is the exact wording, is 12/29/12. And it says I am in EUC tier 1.

I remember the date I filed a claim. My last day at work at my full time job was 1/4/12. I filed the next day. I had assumed I was given a 1/1 claim date because it was the first day of that period. I was told to file on 1/18 for the first time, but it was for the period ending 1/15.

Just to clarify, based on the info I listed, I should still tell them I want to recertify?
Sounds like your benefit year began 1/5/12 and should expire 1/4/13. However, NJ may have backdated the claim to 1/1/12 and that first week in Jan served as your waiting week. CA does this. First I've heard of NJ doing this. That doesn't mean they don't.

If you claimed on 1/18 for claim period ending 1/15, you should have been paid only one week's benefits at that time.

Because EUC payments ended 12/29, NJ has erroneously determined (computer data entry glitch) your benefit year has ended on 12/29, as well, and has cut you off before 1/4 (or, at the earliest 12/31), because it told you this:
Quote:
The site told me that my year had expired.
When you call, tell them:
  1. You filed for benefits on 1/5/12; therefore, your bye should be 1/4/13.
  2. Instead, recent EUC notice gives your bye as 12/29.
  3. Tell them you want your benefit for week ending 12/29, but the system says you need to talk to a rep.
  4. Tell them you want to recertify your 1/12 claim and want to be sure you can continue to claim your federal EUC benefits in 2013, if Congress passes an extension.
All that said, even if your bye was 12/29, the system should let you claim that last week because it fell on the last day of your "benefit year" (according to NJ).

Let us know what happens.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-31-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Sounds like your benefit year began 1/5/12 and should expire 1/4/13. However, NJ may have backdated the claim to 1/1/12 and that first week in Jan served as your waiting week. CA does this. First I've heard of NJ doing this. That doesn't mean they don't.

If you claimed on 1/18 for claim period ending 1/15, you should have been paid only one week's benefits at that time.
No, it was for 2 weeks. I remember because I had a small amount the first week. I had worked the 2,3 and 4, but made a bit less than $733( my rate if I worked during the week). Then I got $611 the second week when I didn't work.

Quote:
Somehow, because EUC payments ended 12/29, NJ has erroneously determined (computer glitch) your benefit year has ended on 12/29, as well, and has cut you off before 1/4 (or, at the earliest 12/31), because it told you this:
When you call, tell them:
  1. You filed for benefits on 1/5/12; therefore your bye should be 1/4/13.
  2. Instead, recent EUC notice gives your bye as 12/29.
  3. Tell them you want your benefit for week ending 12/29 and the system says you need to talk to a rep.
  4. Tell them you want to recertify your claim 1/12 claim and want to be sure you can continue to claim your federal EUC benefits in 2013 if Congress passes an extension.
Let us know what happens.
I will. Thank you for all the advice.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 AM

I have one more piece of information, Ariadne. I just want to make sure that this doesn't change any of the advice you gave me. I found the original notice that they sent me. Similar to the one I got for EUC, a basic outline of my claim.

According to this form, my base year period, for my original claim, was 10/1/10-9/30/11.
My benefit year was 1/1/12-12/29/12. So it was 12/29 from the start. Does this change anything I should ask about?

Old 01-01-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I have one more piece of information, Ariadne. I just want to make sure that this doesn't change any of the advice you gave me. I found the original notice that they sent me. Similar to the one I got for EUC, a basic outline of my claim.

According to this form, my base year period, for my original claim, was 10/1/10-9/30/11.
My benefit year was 1/1/12-12/29/12. So it was 12/29 from the start. Does this change anything I should ask about?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment