Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 43,938 times

Advertisements

I was laid off mid October, 2012. I have been collecting unemployment benefits since then, but am now eligible for pregnancy disability as I have hit my 36 week mark and my doctor has certified me as disabled. I will be able to collect SDI for approximately 10 weeks depending on when I give birth, and then I will be able to collect another 6 weeks of paid family leave. After that is over, I plan to go back on unemployment until I can find a job.

My question is, how do I notify UI that I am (temporarily) no longer eligible, and that I will be collecting SDI/PFL instead for a while? I do not want to cancel my claim, because when my eligibility for SDI/PFL runs out, I would have to reapply for UI and my eligibility period will be a different quarter, which would cause my benefits to decrease. I want to *pause* my claim and be able to go back to the same claim with the same awarded weekly amounts but I cannot get through to anyone on the phone and I am not sure what I need to do to make this all happen. I am very nervous that I will mess up my claim and not be eligible for the same weekly benefits if I do this incorrectly.

Please help! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 02:30 PM

58 posts, read 160,679 times
I went through a slightly similar situation when going from UI to WC and now back to UI. Here in Florida, it was impossible for either Unemployment or Worker's Comp to give any guidance as to how their department related to the other one for claimants whose situation overlapped or transitioned from one to the other.

Questions for unemployment as to WC effects on my claim? "Sorry, we only do unemployment- you'll have to ask Worker's Comp"

Questions for WC as to how it might affect my Unemployment claim? "Sorry, we only do WC- you'll have to ask Unemployment"

I do have a suggestion that worked for me- try your Lt. Governor's office. I figured they were less busy than the Governor and found that they were very helpful in listening to my issue and providing me some better phone numbers than the ones that are most public. I was able to at least get some better information from what seemed more knowledgeable sources.

It usually started with them directing me to the Citizens Assistance type office first, but it usually worked and kept me off the often overcrowded general help lines.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:35 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpa View Post
I was laid off mid October, 2012. I have been collecting unemployment benefits since then, but am now eligible for pregnancy disability as I have hit my 36 week mark and my doctor has certified me as disabled. I will be able to collect SDI for approximately 10 weeks depending on when I give birth, and then I will be able to collect another 6 weeks of paid family leave. After that is over, I plan to go back on unemployment until I can find a job.

My question is, how do I notify UI that I am (temporarily) no longer eligible, and that I will be collecting SDI/PFL instead for a while? I do not want to cancel my claim, because when my eligibility for SDI/PFL runs out, I would have to reapply for UI and my eligibility period will be a different quarter, which would cause my benefits to decrease. I want to *pause* my claim and be able to go back to the same claim with the same awarded weekly amounts but I cannot get through to anyone on the phone and I am not sure what I need to do to make this all happen.
Call CA and tell them you are beginning SDI/PFL - or just stop claiming. They will close the claim.

You don't have a choice in this matter, nor do you have a choice in the procedure CA follows when you once again resume the claim. There is no "pause."

Since you would have unexhausted state benefits from the first claim, CA should reopen and resume your UI benefits when you are once again able to work. They will want to know at that time why you stopped claiming and also may want some evidence of your ability to work. CA should not be attempting to open a new state claim when you complete SDI/PFL unless you are transitioning to EUC at that point.

Good suggestions on last three or four pages on how to get through to CA, here:

Tips for getting through to a live body @ California EDD

Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyr2 View Post
I do have a suggestion that worked for me- try your Lt. Governor's office. I figured they were less busy than the Governor and found that they were very helpful in listening to my issue and providing me some better phone numbers than the ones that are most public. I was able to at least get some better information from what seemed more knowledgeable sources.

It usually started with them directing me to the Citizens Assistance type office first, but it usually worked and kept me off the often overcrowded general help lines.
You are in Florida. This not an appropriate suggestion for OP at this point in her claim in California. She is not without benefits, she is not hanging in limbo. This is hitting a fly with a sledgehammer. All OP needs to do at this point is call CA. Or, just stop claiming, and call when she wants to reopen the claim. Either will do. Many, many people have had excellent success getting through to CA using the suggestions on the link I gave her in above post.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 43,938 times
I have had no luck getting through to a live person in the past (30+ calls in one day, on multiple occasions), and had pretty much given up on that and resorted to contacting them by email, however none of their email options seemed to fit my situation. Thank you for the suggestions on how to get through to a live person, I will try that route again ASAP. As far as just stopping filling out my continued claim forms, I was worried that would completely cancel my claim so I am relieved to hear that is not the case.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 PM

19 posts, read 61,392 times
When I had back surgery last January I was on Unemployment in CA.
My doctor who performed the surgery signed my disability papers and I went on Disability.

The disability people freaked out that I might be collecting both and delayed the claim for a few weeks.
The unemployment people freaked out that I might be collecting both UI and Dis at the same time and stopped payment pending a phone interview.

I had the phone interview at which time the lady I spoke with was like "oh snap, I see what happened" and fixed her end of things with the EDD.

The disability people finally got wind of this and confirmation from EDD and they released my payments. I got a first payment and then like two days later another payment for the weeks they had delayed paying.

It was a PITA but I had my disability coming at a rate of 950ish every two weeks or something.
Once the disability period from my doctor ended, I just filed a new claim on the EDD website.
I was almost immediately placed back on to my original UI claim at the old rate until that claim itself expired in May...then I refiled my state EDD regular claim since I qualified by a new quarter. That ran and expired in late November and I am currently in Tier 1 of the Federal EUC which was just extended by Congress last night.

So my advice is be very careful that you don't let one agency ********* up. They will if you are not very very careful to inform them every step of the way.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 18,237 times
Hi...how did this go for you? I am also on UI...about to go to SDI then PFL then back to UI...did they pay you the same amount as on your UI or less? Was it a hassle? I have had no help whatsoever contacting EDD about all of this and would love some insight about someone else's experience.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 12,335 times
I was pregnant when I got laid off and went on UI. I never stated I was pregnant and didn't go on disability because I had an emergency c-section. I continued to look for work. Now that my UI claim got exhausted, I want to try to see if I quality for the PFL, is that possible?

Old 05-07-2015, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 15,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpa View Post

My question is, how do I notify UI that I am (temporarily) no longer eligible, and that I will be collecting SDI/PFL instead for a while? I do not want to cancel my claim, because when my eligibility for SDI/PFL runs out, I would have to reapply for UI and my eligibility period will be a different quarter, which would cause my benefits to decrease. I want to *pause* my claim and be able to go back to the same claim with the same awarded weekly amounts but I cannot get through to anyone on the phone and I am not sure what I need to do to make this all happen. I am very nervous that I will mess up my claim and not be eligible for the same weekly benefits if I do this incorrectly.

Please help! Thank you

Hello,

Could you please tell me how you resolved this issue? I am going through the same situation.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2017, 02:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,592 times
Any update here sngm? I'm in the exact same situation and the one time I got through to a real person thy were a total dud. Please let me know the process for switching from UI-to-DI-to-PDFL-to-UI. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment