Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 AM

11 posts, read 25,742 times

Advertisements

I currently am eligible for, and collect, partial unemployment in New Jersey. I only began working for this employer in 2012, after working for my last employer for nearly 6 years. I work ~20hrs per week, and earn $200. I have been collecting since the first week of December.

I am in a management position, and my team met all the goals for 2012, so I was eligible to receive a year end bonus of $1,750 total, divided among two separate checks ($750 and $1000). These checks do have taxes taken out of them, and are in addition to the $200 I earn every week by working.

I claimed the $750, plus my $200 in earnings, the last time I filed my benefits. Since I had not yet earned the $1000 check at the time of the last claiming, I was to claim that this week. Something happened with their system, forcing me to call in an speak to a service rep. Everything was fine, just some kind of glitch in the system, and she then handled my claim for this week over the phone.

When I told her I had $1,000 bonus pay + $200 earnings, she put me on hold, and then came back and told me: "Bonuses do not have to be claimed, they are viewed as gifts." I told her it was taxed and I did not want to screw up anything if NJ Unemp. gets a copy of all my pay for the year, and it does not add up to what I have claimed... do you know what I mean? She insisted that bonuses do NOT have to be claimed, and processed my $200 earnings, sans the bonus.

Is this correct?? Has anyone else had a bonus and claimed it (or NOT claimed it) on your Unemployment??? Won't this be caught if they cross reference my wages from my employer VS what I claimed I had made each week on unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment