Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 PM

22 posts, read 46,763 times

Advertisements

Hi - I just started Tier 2. My benefits will end completely in August.

I was offered a temp job in NY that will last 3 months. I'm not clear how this would work. Obviously, I won't claim NJ unemployment during those 3 months. But am I able to still collect after the job ends?

And would my benefits still end in August, or would 3 months be tagged on?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Yes, you can resume your EUC benefits when your temp job ends. Your benefits would not end in August if you are currently collecting federal EUC benefits.

However, first, NJ will need to do another monetary review when you attempt to reopen the claim. This might result in a new state of NJ claim and a deferral on payment of EUC benefits until that state claim is exhausted. Federal regs require state benefits be paid first.

Since NJ has two alternate base periods, one of which includes earnings to the date you reopen the claim, chances are you will get a new NJ state claim, however small, before continuing on EUC from the old claim.

Quote:
Requalifying Requirement
If you received benefits on an unemployment insurance claim, you
must have worked since the beginning of that claim to qualify for
another unemployment insurance claim after the first claim’s benefit
year ends. You cannot go from one claim to another successive
claim without working in between. Two claims cannot be based
on the same separation from work.

You must earn six (6) times the previous claim’s weekly benefit rate
and work at least four (4) weeks in covered employment to be eligible
for benefits in a successive benefit year.

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/for...s/ui/PR-94.pdf

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-26-2013 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment