Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 01:48 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol7lynn View Post
It depends on how much your weekly benefit is. EDD does not count the first 25% of your earned income. After that it deducts your income dollar for dollar.

I sub teach and my income especially at the beginning of the school year fluctuates wildly. Case in point. One week at the beginning of a new school year my UI benefit for the week amounted to $7 but I filed anyway. Why? Because that $7 payment occurred during the last week of my old benefit year and delayed the application of the new benefit year "waiting week" until after I started making more money the amount that exceeded my weekly benefit plus 25%.

That was important because as a sub you are paid up to 6 weeks after you earn the money. You start working in late August or early September but you might not see a dime of that money until Oct 10th or even November 10th.

And just because you make big bucks one week doesn't mean a thing because the next week you might not even work at all. And, payroll can make a mistake, pay you for half a day when they should have paid you for a whole day and you have to wait another x number of days or weeks to get that corrected. Not like when you were salaried.

Some districts still make you turn-in paper cards/time sheets while with other districts everything is electronic-you walk in and the school secretary enters it in the system before you leave for the day. Still they make errors-just not as many.

You also have to know the rules. I once had a summer school secretary try to short me on a full days pay. The district rule was if you worked more than 3 1/2 that day you got a full days pay. I worked 4 hrs and the secretary marked down 1/2 days pay instead. I politely told her I was entitled to a full days pay, she got really pissy about it but did call human resources who told her that I was right. Just giving you heads up in case your part time work will be as a day-to-day non contract sub. BTW they never worked me at that school again but I figured no love lost if that was how they were going to treat me.

Carol-Lynn

This is true. I subbed in school offices, and sometimes I'd work an entire week, and not have any work for the next week. You just don't know when you're a sub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol7lynn View Post
If sounds as if the $117 income was only a temporary one time thing. If that was the case then you should have noted that on your QR-7 and they probably wouldn't have dinged you. If the change really was temporary no worries because if you can document that your income decreased after you filed your QR-7 then all you need to do is notify your worker, document the change and they have ten days to re-calulate your new benefit. That happened to me once. Long story short once I realized that I reported income that I wasn't really assured of getting the next month then I notified my worker, submitted documentation that the change was a one-shot deal and I ended up fine and even got back benefits.
"Benefits “frozen” for the quarter

Generally, once calculated, the food stamp allotment will remain the same throughout the payment quarter. If the household makes a mid-quarter report of a change (i.e., outside the normal QR7 reporting time frame) that would result in increased benefits, the county will adjust the benefits up. [MPP § 63-509(d)] If the mid-quarter report would result in a decrease in aid, the county makes no change, and reminds the household to report the change (again) on the QR7. [MPP § 63-509(d)(7).]"

As for housing costs:

Seniors and People with Documented Disabilities: Most seniors or people with disabilities don't have to pass the gross income test (below). This means that some of your out-of-pocket medical costs, rent or mortgage costs, dependent care costs and electricity costs can be deducted from your income.

Check out this web-site it's easier to maneuver than the CalFresh web-site and will explain what I mean by senior "excess shelter costs" etc.

California Food Stamp Guide

I haven't received a QR-7 yet, but I'm expecting one at any time. The reason I got dinged is because I applied for the county Low Income Health Plan (LiHP), and they never processed my application for it. I applied in March, had to provide proof of income, and the month of March is when I made $117, so that's when it happened. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment to see if I can qualify for County Medical Services (CMS) until October when I turn 65.

Tomorrow's appointment should be interesting when I submit all the paperwork, and a letter telling me that I don't qualify for Medi-Cal, and I never applied for it. In San Diego, they don't cut you any slack, you have to apply just like everyone else, and also provide them with all the documentation that they want.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:13 PM

109 posts, read 424,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I haven't received a QR-7 yet, but I'm expecting one at any time. The reason I got dinged is because I applied for the county Low Income Health Plan (LiHP), and they never processed my application for it. I applied in March, had to provide proof of income, and the month of March is when I made $117, so that's when it happened. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment to see if I can qualify for County Medical Services (CMS) until October when I turn 65.

Tomorrow's appointment should be interesting when I submit all the paperwork, and a letter telling me that I don't qualify for Medi-Cal, and I never applied for it. In San Diego, they don't cut you any slack, you have to apply just like everyone else, and also provide them with all the documentation that they want.

I'm turning 65 in November. I don't know if you know this or not but the state will help pay some or all of your Medicare premiums if you are low income.

Here is a link to get you started.
http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/10126.pdf

Good luck with CMS.

Carol-Lynn

Old 05-28-2013, 08:59 PM

Since my Social Security is under $865 per month, I'm eligible for Supplemental SSI in October, and won't have to pay for Medicare. I'm also moving to where the cost of living is lower in the fall, and that's going to help quite a bit, too.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:26 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Wow, I used to be a sub for a good 11 years (while often working a 2nd job) & NEVER EVER got UI while working as a sub. I just never knew one could get UI while working period, so I never applied. Then, every summer, my district would mail a letter saying it's alright to now file for UI, so I ONLY ever applied in the summertimes. I could have had thousands of dollars more in that case!

Oh well, what's done is done. Hopefully, I never have to sub again, but subbing has treated me well in the past, so I'm definitely not knocking it.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Wow, I used to be a sub for a good 11 years (while often working a 2nd job) & NEVER EVER got UI while working as a sub. I just never knew one could get UI while working period, so I never applied. Then, every summer, my district would mail a letter saying it's alright to now file for UI, so I ONLY ever applied in the summertimes. I could have had thousands of dollars more in that case!

Oh well, what's done is done. Hopefully, I never have to sub again, but subbing has treated me well in the past, so I'm definitely not knocking it.
Same here. I subbed for twenty years before I found out during the school year any week we made less than our weekly UI benefit we qualified for UI. I too was amazed. Long story short ever since then I've made it a point to file once the school year starts. Subs are always-"working less than full time" unless they have a contract which the majority don't have.

The reason we develop the false notion that we are always ineligible for UI benefits is because the first time you file for UI benefits is right after you get that reasonable letter of assurance you referred to above which is sent right before summer vacation starts and subs get denied because school employees are ineligible for benefits during school vacations unless they don't have "reasonable assurance" of re-employment in the fall.

So subs get the erroneous notion that we are also not eligible for UI benefits during the regular school year. The purpose of those letters of reasonable assurances is to prevent you from collecting UI benefits during summer recess which is normally 11-12 weeks; they are not to help you by informing you of your right to collect UI benefits. They send those to every sub they can even if they've no intentions of working them again in the fall to avoid raising their UI insurance rate. That happened to me.

Also, most subs don't know that you can collect retro-active benefits for the summer vacation if, after the school year starts, the district fails to offer you any work for an extended period of time. But that only applies if you are working for only one school district-most subs work for multiple districts so the rule doesn't apply. But if you are one of those rare subs who only work for one district and they pull this trick on you you have to file for retro benefits once you realize they had no intention of working you come fall or you won't get them.

That is the part of subbing I dislike. They pay us a third of what they pay a first year teacher, if you factor in benefits, and then try every which way they can to keep us from collecting UI benefits rather than work us. They will have summer school sessions yet EDD will not pay us for those weeks, when they should just like an other school term, because we are not on "a list." Had that happen. That is wrong. If you're on a list for the other school terms then you are on the list for the summer term unless they tell you otherwise which a lot of districts don't. A group of ten subs from San Francisco in 2004 won a civil court case filed against them by the San Francisco school district because they were ready and willing to work summer school but were not called. EDD actually sided with them-it was the district that got pissy. Since then districts cover themselves to avoid a similar situation by using the excuse "you are not on the list." Please.

When I quite my job back in 1984 to relocated to SoCal because of an exs' job transfer I didn't know until two years later that I could have collected UI from my home state as a "trailing spouse." I did however get UI as a trailing spouse some ten years later when we were again transferred to another state. So live and learn.

As for subbing I'm not overly fond of it but it has its good points. It's the only job where you can get fired just on the pure hearsay complaint of a five year old that tattles to their teacher. You get no recourse-you're an at will employee. It's easier to terminate you than to figure out if what that five year old says is true or not. I had one first grade tell the teacher I cussed, when I didn't. I didn't get fired but it goes to show you that kids do lie-yes there are five year old sociopaths. Never thought it was true until it happened to me.

Carol-Lynn

Last edited by carol7lynn; 05-29-2013 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 08:09 PM

As for subbing I'm not overly fond of it but it has its good points. It's the only job where you can get fired just on the pure hearsay complaint of a five year old that tattles to their teacher. You get no recourse-you're an at will employee. It's easier to terminate you than to figure out if what that five year old says is true or not. I had one first grade tell the teacher I cussed, when I didn't. I didn't get fired but it goes to show you that kids do lie-yes there are five year old sociopaths. Never thought it was true until it happened to me.

This.

I was terminated for being written up five times, because I was a bad employee. Three were female principals, one was an administrator, and one was a 25 year old bilingual school clerk. They didn't like the clothes that I wore, and claimed that I wasn't qualified to do the job. I was never written up by a male employee, and was always requested in advance for work. When I was terminated, I was on a two week assignment, with a three month assignment to follow, and I was requested in advance.

Up to 1 1/2 years after I was terminated, I still had employees calling me to ask if I could work for them when they had to take time off. I'm finished with school districts, and offices in general.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

This.

I was terminated for being written up five times, because I was a bad employee. Three were female principals, one was an administrator, and one was a 25 year old bilingual school clerk. They didn't like the clothes that I wore, and claimed that I wasn't qualified to do the job. I was never written up by a male employee, and was always requested in advance for work. When I was terminated, I was on a two week assignment, with a three month assignment to follow, and I was requested in advance.

Up to 1 1/2 years after I was terminated, I still had employees calling me to ask if I could work for them when they had to take time off. I'm finished with school districts, and offices in general.
Sorry to hear what happened. I'm sure it was nothing but catty-politics. You pissed someone off. Happens all the time.

As for the BS about the clothes you wore, if you would have been a "favorite", meaning a "retired teacher" "someone's son or daughter" or "a parent who had a child in that school" then they would have cared less about what you wore even if you wore sweats to work everyday.

There was this one full-time teacher at a high school I used to sub at. She was grossly over-weight and wore the sweats every day because they were probably more "comfortable." She taught Lang Arts and was in charge of ASB. If I would have worn sweats and I wasn't subbing P.E. then I would have left myself wide open for being written-up. Listen, they write up subs everyday for doing things that the favorites get away with and that stuff about you not being qualified-realy then why did the district hire you. Pure baloney.

At the last high school that I subbed at the principal's son, barely older the students, got called everyday for the best assignments, was allowed to come in later than the rest of us and all he did was play on his own personal computer while the kids basically screwed off. Meanwhile, I had to practically live on SubFinder to get an assignment sometimes waking up several times a night just to get a jump on the next day's assignments.

Many times I would have assignments switched on me by the school secretary after I got to a given school so that they could put the sub they really wanted in my job. Technically they weren't allowed to do this but I never said a word, even if it meant that I had to teach kinder rather than 5th grade. It's not that I hate kinder, it's just that as a senior citizen, it's gotten increasingly harder for me to get up off the floor where the majority of kinder teachers spend their day-not to mention trying to sit on those tiny kinder-chairs all day.

So not only do full time teachers get away with stuff that we can't but employees' children get preferential treatment. I was checking out one day and one teacher brought his daughter in to meet the principal and said "She'll be subbing for the district." and I knew right away and she will get called everyday too. Nepotism does exist. Retired teachers also get priority and they pay them more.

I was actually relieved when I got terminated as I got so very tired of walking on egg shells and being asked to do things they'd never have asked a regular teacher to do. One middle school secretary had me sharpen pencils by hand until I got a blister on my thumb for state testing because the aides had burned out the electric pencil sharpeners. Rather than have them sharpen them by hand they made me do it because I was a floater for the day. It didn't bother me so much that they were asking me, a teacher to do a teacher's aide job, it was that they didn't even bother calling around to see if they could get more electric pencil sharpeners. And, I knew better than to complain.

Carol-Lynn

Last edited by carol7lynn; 05-30-2013 at 07:07 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 AM

Yes, I know all about the nepotism and favoritism. The district that I worked for would hired the bilingual kids of the bilingual employees without putting them through the testing process. I picked up an assignment from the SAMS system one day, and the person that I was going to sub for called me and said that it was a mistake, and that she had to cancel it. It was right back in the system a few minutes later.

I guess I pissed off people because I came to work every day, came in early, stayed late, worked through my lunch hour, dressed nicely, and could run the school office by myself if necessary. There were time that I had to do attendance and enrollment myself, because both clerks were out, and no sub picked up the jobs.

I was actually glad that I got terminated, I was getting really tired of it. Two school districts were enough for me. I won't even work in an office anymore, I can't stand the politics.

I worked at H&R Block as a receptionist for two tax seasons. The last season (2011) that I worked, the office was short a receptionist, so I was continually called to come in early and work a double shift with an hour break inbetween. Needless to say, I racked up a pretty good amount overtime, and Corporate didn't like it. I didn't get rehired the next year, and the reason was that I wasn't qualified, but they rehired the person who barely spoke English.

I'll stick to working customer service and event security. At least I get appreciated, and if I have a problem, there's a supervisor to back me up.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 AM

Thanks for being so honest. If more subs were willing to speak their minds we might have a more level playing field.

Carol-Lynn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment