Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 05:57 PM

177 posts, read 532,291 times

Advertisements

I am currently still on my regular unemployment benefits but I am getting closer to running out.
I got laid of in November I received 30 weeks of unemployment 564 dollars a week.

I been looking for a job, but its difficult out here, I apply for jobs, I go to interviews thats where it ends which is starting to worry me.

I know MA currently has 2 extensions. How do I go about that when I run out ? Do they sent out letters to reapply for the extensions ?
How do I know if I qualify ? On my claim is says my wages are 14670 by quarter.
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 06:46 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
MA should be sending you an application for EUC. If you don't receive anything from MA on transition to EUC the week following exhaustion of your state benefits, call them. The processing from state benefits to federal extensions may take a couple of weeks after you have completed the application process.

Quote:
How do I know if I qualify ? On my claim is says my wages are 14670 by quarter.
To qualify for EUC in MA, you need any one of the following:
  1. 20 weeks of covered employment - or
  2. TOTAL Base wages in excess of 40x weekly benefit (40x$564), or $22,560 - or
  3. TOTAL Base wages in excess of 1.5x high quarter wages - or $22,005 (if $14,670 is your high quarter).
Due to the sequester, your EUC weekly benefit will be reduced 12.8% to $492, per this:

Quote:
Starting the week ending May 4, 2013, all claimants on Federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) extensions will have their benefits reduced by 12.8%. This reduction is required by a federal law commonly known as Sequestration.

The reduction will be effective until September 29, 2013.

Information on Unemployment Insurance Extensions
Further info on EUC:

Overview of Latest Extension Benefits

Old 05-05-2013, 07:13 PM

I am a little confused with the the way they calculate this.
So the total base wage needs to be higher then 40x$564 or higher then 22560 for the entire year ( from my last job )
I worked there for 3 years and since I made 14670 per quarter and made around 60k.. that means I should qualify for an extension right ?

I knew about the 12.8% for reduction... bummer.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosela View Post
I am a little confused with the the way they calculate this.
So the total base wage needs to be higher then 40x$564 or higher then 22560 for the entire year ( from my last job )
I worked there for 3 years and since I made 14670 per quarter and made around 60k.. that means I should qualify for an extension right ?
Yes - you qualify on all three criteria. You only need one of the three. You're good for EUC.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Yes - you qualify on all three criteria. You only need one of the three. You're good for EUC.
Thanks I thought I calculated/understood that right.
It just gets so stressful being unemployed.. and I worry so much

Thanks Ariadne, I really appreciate your help alot.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:26 PM

6 posts, read 86,375 times
I have a similar question. I worked for my previous employer for about 24 weeks it was a newly formed company, and I was only PAID over a single quarter. They were still getting set up with payroll, accounts, etc - and did not pay me until a couple of months into the job. My employment dates were over 2 quarters and 24 weeks - but I was only paid ($18,000) over a period of 12 weeks in a single quarter.

Will I qualify for EUC in Massachusetts?

Thanks so so much!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug108 View Post
I have a similar question. I worked for my previous employer for about 24 weeks it was a newly formed company, and I was only PAID over a single quarter. They were still getting set up with payroll, accounts, etc - and did not pay me until a couple of months into the job. My employment dates were over 2 quarters and 24 weeks - but I was only paid ($18,000) over a period of 12 weeks in a single quarter.

Will I qualify for EUC in Massachusetts?
Extensive searching on website and now the Employer Handbook does not turn up a requirement that your wages must span two quarters. You do need a wage equal to 30x your WBA, however.

Quote:
1. Worker’s wages
A worker’s weekly benefit amount is calculated according to the following:
§ Wages from all employers who are subject to UI law for whom the claimant worked
during the base period (last four completed calendar quarters preceding the start date of
a claim) are used to determine the amount of the weekly benefit and the duration of
benefits

§ The two base period quarters during which the claimant earned the most wages are
used to calculate an average weekly wage. To do this, the two high quarters are added
together and the total amount is divided by 26 (the number of weeks in two quarters), to
arrive at an average weekly wage
\
§ If the claimant only worked in one or two quarters in the base period, the highest quarter
of wages is divided by 13 (the number of weeks in one quarter) to establish the average
weekly wage

§ The maximum benefit rate is then divided in half to derive the weekly benefit amount.
This amount cannot exceed the maximum weekly benefit amount set annually by DUA
In most cases, there are enough wages paid in the primary base period to determine a
claimant’s eligibility for benefits. However, when a claimant is ineligible using the primary base
period, the alternate base period will be used. The alternate base period is the same formula
that is used to determine the benefit amount regardless of the base period.

To be eligible, the claimant must have total base period wages of at least 30 times the potential
weekly benefit (approximately 15 weeks of employment) and $3,500 in the base period.
The total amount of benefits available to the claimant is the lesser of 30 times the weekly benefit
amount, or 36% of total base period wages.

http://www.mass.gov/lwd/docs/dua/bus...r-handbook.pdf - see p. 11
I haven't bothered to do the rest of the calculations. You can do that. Initially, it doesn't appear wages appearing in only one quarter is a disqualifier. although 30x your wba most probably will be.

You might petition MA to rebalance those wages among the weeks actually worked. Given the extensive delays reported by MA recipients, it may be a good long while before they would review your case and give you a determination.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 PM

Thanks so much for the information. I'm really worried now that I won't even be approved for the initial claim which has been pending for over 5 weeks now....

Do you know how they know what weeks you worked exactly? Doesn't the employer report by quarter?

If I am denied, and end up getting another month or two of work in this present quarter, can I reapply?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:16 PM

Although my claim is still "pending" it was confirmed for me today by someone in wage adjustment that it will in indeed be denied due to insufficient wages. (I had $18,000 in only one quarter, which was not enough.)

My old company has offered to hire me back for a short period of time to finish a project, which will also allow me to get enough wages in the present quarter to qualify with enough wages.

At present my claim was denied for to not enough wages - with a benefit amount of $0. My new claim will include $18,000 in Q2 and about $10,000 in Q3.

My question is - how do I reopen my claim? And what are the requirements to be able to do so?

I have been searching all day online, and talked to multilpe people at UI and can't find any good information :

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 08-08-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Although my claim is still "pending" it was confirmed for me today by someone in wage adjustment that it will in indeed be denied due to insufficient wages. (I had $18,000 in only one quarter, which was not enough.)

At present my claim was denied for to not enough wages - with a benefit amount of $0. My new claim will include $18,000 in Q2 and about $10,000 in Q3.

My question is - how do I reopen my claim? And what are the requirements to be able to do so?
If your present application is denied, as you expect, there will not be an existing claim to reopen.

You apply for a brand new claim (forget about the earlier application) in October. Although, based on this, it appears MA via its Alternate Base Period, will use earnings to the date you file, so you could file earlier when your job ends.
Quote:
Wages of at least 30 times the weekly benefit amount and no less than $3,500 during the last three completed calendar quarters and the partial calendar quarter (Alternate Base Period) in which the claim was filed

http://www.mass.gov/lwd/docs/dua/bus...r-handbook.pdf
Quote:
Do you know how they know what weeks you worked exactly? Doesn't the employer report by quarter?
The employer reports to MA, usually every pay period, sometimes weekly. If MA doesn't have an up-to-date record of your earnings at the time you reapply, you can provide paystubs to verify. MA will then check w/employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment