Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 AM

12,788 posts, read 15,017,507 times

Advertisements

I was told earlier this month that I was non-reelected to be rehired for the next school year. That's the "tricky" type of terminology used within the school district work setting. They do give an option to resign, so it doesn't look like I got fired (which looks bad for future job-seeking). At the end of May is my official last day on the job.

I plan to apply for UI the very next day after my last work day since EDD says to apply ASAP. I really need to be approved for this, so what's the best reason to mark on the UI application as to WHY I'm no longer working? I need to know the best responses to say so my chances of being approved are very high. Any other tips you can give to increase my chances would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 12:27 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,520,405 times
Education employees are generally perceived to be unemployed when they do not have a reasonable assurance of employment for the next school year. CA has a whole section on School Employees:

School Employee
FAQ - School Employees

You can state "not rehired." CA will call you to conduct an interview, anyway.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:38 PM

15,130 posts, read 32,355,658 times
I was a school district employee in CA, and received unemployment. After you apply, they'll schedule you for a phone interview, and you don't have to wait until the next day - apply when you get home your last day.

p until the time that I lost my job, I received letters of reasonable assurance, just like clockwork. That was in Janaury of 2009. I'm still receiving unemployment, but not much, because the school district money ran out a long time ago.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 AM

109 posts, read 424,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I was told earlier this month that I was non-reelected to be rehired for the next school year. That's the "tricky" type of terminology used within the school district work setting. They do give an option to resign, so it doesn't look like I got fired (which looks bad for future job-seeking). At the end of May is my official last day on the job.

I plan to apply for UI the very next day after my last work day since EDD says to apply ASAP. I really need to be approved for this, so what's the best reason to mark on the UI application as to WHY I'm no longer working? I need to know the best responses to say so my chances of being approved are very high. Any other tips you can give to increase my chances would be appreciated!
Reason: Non-elected to be rehired. Just what your letter said. No more-no less. I doubt that the district will fight it. Did they talk to you about any problems before they terminated you?

I was literally terminated as a sub (no reason given either and I was never talked to about anything either), I told EDD I was terminated during my telephone eligibility interview and had no idea why (which I didn't), I was approved (without a hitch) and the district didn't fight it-that was Dec. 2011. I kept expecting them to fight it but they didn't. Still collecting.

You will have a one week waiting week where you won't be paid and then your benefits will kick in. You should have no problem collecting for the summer since you have no "reasonable assurance" of employment come fall which normally disqualifies you for UI benefits during summer break-or any school break for that matter. I could rant on about that subject for days but suffice it to say that all states treat school employee claims, from the janitor to the superintendent, differently.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 AM

Thanks guys. I was shocked to be non-reelected, so I didn't see that coming! If I hadn't asked WHY they were doing this, they would have never told me. But from what I've heard from others in the past & from experience, the broad reasons schools say WHN THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY include reasons such as:

- you're not a good fit
- you're not showing (enough or fast enough) growth

Well, I was told the 2nd reason above, which I disagree with personally. But, that's what they said. So, I can still say NON-REHIRED as the reason on the UI app & I hope I get approved.

Any other comments?

Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 AM

15,130 posts, read 32,355,658 times
I was a sub, and was terminated. You won't have a problem at all.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 PM

70 posts, read 248,286 times
Yes, just say you were not rehired. The same thing happened to me, except they gave absolutely no reason at all.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:08 PM

109 posts, read 424,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks guys. I was shocked to be non-reelected, so I didn't see that coming! If I hadn't asked WHY they were doing this, they would have never told me. But from what I've heard from others in the past & from experience, the broad reasons schools say WHN THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY include reasons such as:

- you're not a good fit
- you're not showing (enough or fast enough) growth

Well, I was told the 2nd reason above, which I disagree with personally. But, that's what they said. So, I can still say NON-REHIRED as the reason on the UI app & I hope I get approved.

Any other comments?
There should be no problem given they didn't terminate you for gross misconduct.

Failure to show growth is not misconduct-just a polite way of saying no hard feelings but we'd rather not have you back next year because someone somewhere somehow thinks you ain't cuttin' it . What ever. Onward and Upward.

And as for the "option to resign"-is not as benign as it sounds. Quitting a job, without good cause, could prevent you from collecting UI benefits which means the district doesn't have to underwrite your UI claim. Why else would they give you that option (to save them money) unless it was some union deal.

Last edited by carol7lynn; 03-31-2013 at 01:18 PM..

Old 04-02-2013, 05:41 PM

Thank you guys! OK on the last day of my job, I'll apply & see what happens! Any other comments/tips, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol7lynn View Post
...And as for the "option to resign"-is not as benign as it sounds. Quitting a job, without good cause, could prevent you from collecting UI benefits which means the district doesn't have to underwrite your UI claim. Why else would they give you that option (to save them money) unless it was some union deal.
Well, as far as I know, unless any school employee is downright horrendous & they just flat out fire them on the spot, the way they normally do it with school employees is, they tell them around Feb/Mar if they are non-reelected for rehire & they allow them to remain in the position until the school year is over in May/June. Of course I'm staying till the last day of the school year, so I get all the paychecks I can. I wouldn't want to end early.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:57 AM

Today's May 1st & I have about 3 1/2 weeks left on my job. I plan to apply online...I hope the online forms is still available.

I haven't applied for UI in so long, I forgot how the form goes. Is there a place to write comments, so I can write:

"My rent & bills total $2040 per month and if I'm not approved for UI, I'll be homeless."

Can't I write a note in there like that? Won't that help my chances of being approved? Are there ANY comments I can write to help my chance of being approved? How about during the phone interview?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment