Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 02:47 AM

3 posts, read 3,642 times

Advertisements

Hi. Thanks for reading. This is my first post and would love some insight and/or suggestions. Here's my situation:

My PA UC claim benefit year is from 9/2/12 - 9/1/13. I've been working part-time, 4 days per week since 10/2012. I exhausted regular PA UC benefits on 5/19/13, and was mailed an application for EUC. PA never responded to my EUC application. I had to call them, and was told over the phone I'm eligible for a NY UC claim (I worked in NY state during my base year). I call NY to file a claim, but they are unable to file it due to me working part-time 4 days per week. They said their system wouldn't allow it, that I'm not eligible for NY benefits, and that they'll update the HUB with this information.

I call PA back and explain this to them, and further explain that even if NY could process the claim, I would still be entitled to EUC due to my EUC benefit being at least $100 more than NY's regular UC benefit (my PA benefit is $573 whereas NY's maximum weekly benefit is $405). They still refuse to process the EUC claim in that they are not even sending me a denial. They say that their system says I'm financially eligible for a NY claim, and that there's nothing they can do. At this point, when I call a PA service center, I wait on hold for an hour then get hung up on. I don't have an appeal to submit, and I've tried emailing the Pittsburgh referee office, but never received a response.

Thanks again for reading, and any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 11:37 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Because your benefit year has not yet expired and you are not now collecting EUC, this:
Quote:
I would still be entitled to EUC due to my EUC benefit being at least $100 more than NY's regular UC benefit (my PA benefit is $573 whereas NY's maximum weekly benefit is $405).
does not apply in your situation.

Has PA seen the NY denial in the HUB? If not, get a written formal denial from NY. You may need to formally file an online application so NY's system generates a denial. That denial should be sufficient for PA to file an EUC application for you. You may need to send a copy of this denial to PA.

First, however, try calling PA again, ask for a supervisor, and explain your situation, again. Get an address/fax so you can send PA the denial, if you still can't get any movement from PA at this point.

Another option which may get PA off the mark quickly- email and call the USDOL in Philadelphia.

Regional Offices, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

Other DOL contacts:

Sznoluch.Anatoli@dol.gov
Gibbons.Scott@dol.gov

I once wrote Scott on a problem in MD, as did MD claimants. Matter was resolved in one day. I see his name is no longer listed on the ETA page, but write him and Tony, anyway.

Your problem stems from the continued Catch22 claimants and the states encounter when original claim is filed in one state and then claimant works part-time in another. Often the original claiming state never catches the out-of-state earnings, transfers the claimant to EUC, only to discover six months later that claimant had new claim eligibility in another state. (Back-to-back state claims void EUC on the first claim.)

In the end, the fault lies with the original claiming state. In most cases, the states cannot collect overpaid EUC from the claimant - because this error was NOT the fault of the claimant. We've been hearing a lot about this problem involving PA and other states. PA/NY, PA/CO, PA/WA. It might be PA had too many of these situations and has now become overzealous in the other direction.

Keep us updated, please.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 PM

Thank you for the very informative reply! I'll be contacting the dol folks you listed to see if they can help.

I know what you mean about trying to get NY to deny the claim, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to. Their online system won't let me submit an application since a phone application has started. Also, their reps over the phone aren't able to even submit a claim (due to my working four days/week), and so therefore I can't get a denial that way either.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 PM

Thank you again for the contacts! I'm not sure who did what, but within one day I received a call from my UC service center and we're on the path to working this out.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codenameduchess View Post
Thank you again for the contacts! I'm not sure who did what, but within one day I received a call from my UC service center and we're on the path to working this out.
YEA!!!!

Let us know when this is resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment