Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,808 times

Advertisements

Hi. I need help to understand my rights. I work in a retail store . First, my employer (Distr. manager) without even talking to me put me on a part time position . Person, who got my position (I was an ass. manager in retail store) "help" to put me in this position (she very much wanted to be a manager) since I was temporary not be able to do flexible hours, even I still could work 40 hour. My manager was perfectly ok with my abilities and want me to be her assistant and work. But nobody listen to her and ... So, I start working part time. I lost about 2/3 of my paycheck (I didn't sign any papers to do it but needed a paycheck to support my family ) Two month later I find out I can collect partial unemployment and start looking for new job. Employer got 2 more part timers with less pay . My manager was put down as regular full time employee (lost third of her income as well). With a new ass. manager work became a hell.Two people left including ex manager who work as I am for over 10 years. And right now the store don't have enough employee. The ass. manager is forcing me to work now full time hours to cover the store. And I cant do it. We had verbal agreement with ex manager that I will work 4 times a week any week days till 2.30pm and any hour from Friday-Sunday weekly . Because I have to drive so far I need 3 days off a week. My question is what should I do: don't show up one day (I got 5 days of work instead of 4 and 35 hours)? I called and tried nicely explain ass. manager that I am part time cant do full time hours. Since employee put me down to PT because I am not flexible anymore. And I think I can loose my partial unemployment if I do that. And then she will kick me out back to part time as soon as she will get new employee with much less pay and she doesn't need me anymore.(She get rid of a few people who was on her way including a jeweler, now its her husband is a jeweler). Thanks for help.

I live in Montana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,804,326 times
You really have no "rights" when it comes to your number of hours, part-time vs full-time. Your choices are to do what they tell you and keep the job, refuse to work the hours they tell you to and get fired, or quit and find a new job. It sounds like you work for a disfunctional organization and would be better off elsewhere anyway.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,808 times
Thank you. It is dysfunctional organization. People come and go way to often, including CEO,HO stuff, DM and managers. Its just not easy to find a good job in MT. But time to move on...Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment