Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,737 times

Advertisements

Hi, I recently quite my job in Bellingham to move to Shoreline for part time school and so my girlfriend can get a better Phlebotomy Job.
Today I applied for unemployment and they said they have to send me a question-air application to see if I "Quite my job under the right terms" to before I could receive weekly claim benefits I qualified for.
Can anyone let me know If I will receive Unemployment benefits for Quitting because I moved under these terms?
Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 01:37 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Washington State is pretty strict on "quitting" a job. You have to prove that there was a qualified reason for quitting, which usually means there was a physical barrier that could not be overcome, or other harassment that you encountered and was not solved by the employer. You likely will not get unemployment in this case. However, you should go ahead with the claim just to be certain.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 02-04-2016 at 01:47 AM..

Old 02-04-2016, 07:45 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
For quitting to go to school, probably no.

For quitting because your wife moved to another area to get a job, maybe. No wait. You aren't married, so no.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:52 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Odds are you won't receive a penny. Shouldn't you have researched this BEFORE you quit?

Old 02-04-2016, 11:49 AM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
You get no benefits.

School is usually a ROADBLOCK to getting benefits under the best of circumstances - assuming you have a good cause separation - because it raises the Able and Available issue. In other words, your class schedule conflicts with your ability to search for and accept work.

If, on the other hand, you enroll in state-sponsored training program after being laid off/fired or a quit for cause, it may possible to get benefits, depending on the state. This is not your situation.

You will be denied.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:00 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
No. Unemployment benefits are provided to people who involuntarily lose their jobs for reasons out of their control (that is, they were NOT fired for cause). You left on your own volition.

If this condition were not the case, too many people would quit. DUH.

Last edited by pikabike; 02-04-2016 at 12:15 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 12:01 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubstephead View Post
Hi, I recently quite my job in Bellingham to move to Shoreline for part time school and so my girlfriend can get a better Phlebotomy Job.
Today I applied for unemployment and they said they have to send me a question-air application to see if I "Quite my job under the right terms" to before I could receive weekly claim benefits I qualified for.
Can anyone let me know If I will receive Unemployment benefits for Quitting because I moved under these terms?
Thank you so much!
No, you won't get a dime.

I quit under a "Medical" quit and won, but it wasn't easy.

You have to have a dang good reason to quit. if they fire you, it's easier to get UI then quitting....

Old 02-04-2016, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,737 times
Thanks for the replys. I thought Washington was trying to get people to go back to college. Would the move so my GF can find a better, in demand medical job have any possibility of working?
Thanks

Old 02-04-2016, 03:20 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubstephead View Post
Would the move so my GF can find a better, in demand medical job have any possibility of working?
Not in the State of Washington.

What you are asking about is "trailing spouse benefits."

Trailing spouse benefits are available in about 23 states, and half those states restrict trailing spouse benefits to military people only.

Although Washington offers trailing spouse benefits, your circumstances do not qualify you - because you were not married at the time she moved and she doesn't have a job.

From the Washington handbook:
Quote:
You moved to be with your spouse or domestic partner whose job is outside your labor market area.

http://www.esd.wa.gov/uibenefits/for...ed-workers.pdf
Unless you can prove she is, in fact, your "domestic partner" - however that is defined in WA state - AND she moved to take a new job (not just look for a job), you will be denied.

That said, in California, if a marriage was imminent (like within several weeks), and you moved to be closer to potential spouse, you could collect. That the spouse be employed is not a criteria, necessarily, in California.

States which offer trailing spouse vary widely in their criteria and generally apply very stringent protocols.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-04-2016 at 03:33 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 05:28 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
As Ariadne said, I see no way that you can qualify even with the most liberal interpretation of unemployment regulations in WA. Unfortunately, you just have to accept that you are not going to get a penny in unemployment and start looking for work if you need the money. Had you sought advice before you quit, there could have been things that could occur to have aided you, but as you did it, you have nothing to qualify with. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment