Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 08:45 AM

6 posts, read 16,107 times

Advertisements

I filed for unemployment benefits after earning $8192 and working for 18 weeks (the requirements are $8300 or 20 working weeks). I did a monetary interview and the person told me that I wasn't eligible and my future non monetary interview was cancelled. However I received a letter today saying that I have a weekly benefit rate. Near the bottom it says something along the lines of, if "0.00" has been entered in the weekly benefit rate box, your claim is invalid and I am ineligible to receive benefits. What does this mean? Will I still be able to claim or is this letter a mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 09:33 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,087,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb0b View Post
earning $8192 and working for 18 weeks

Near the bottom it says something along the lines of, if "0.00" has been entered in the weekly benefit rate box, your claim is invalid and I am ineligible to receive benefits.
You need to make the distinction between $8192 (total earnings) and WEEKLY benefit rate. What is your weekly rate as listed on the letter?

Old 07-15-2016, 10:08 AM

Weekly benefit rate says $289

Old 07-15-2016, 10:29 AM

Then I think you're getting benefits.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Then I think you're getting benefits.
Is it normal to not meet the requirements but still get benefits? That is why I'm hesitant to claim the benefits, I just don't want to get penalized or get in trouble later.

Also I checked the claims page, and it says my claim has been pended. Does that mean I have to wait before I collect?

Old 07-15-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Is it normal to not meet the requirements but still get benefits?
The letter says you did meet the requirements. Some UI workers aren't that bright and you can't live your life based on what they tell you. Sometimes you have to just do it (as in apply) and see what happens.

Quote:
That is why I'm hesitant to claim the benefits, I just don't want to get penalized or get in trouble later.
Assuming the computers made a mistake (they probably didn't) it wouldn't be your fault, it wouldn't be fraud, and you can't get in trouble for that. The worst they do to you is ask for the money back, and there's lots of ways not to have to pay it back. Go get your money until you're told otherwise as in by an official letter and not because low paid clerk that's probably worked there 6 months gave you bad advice.

Quote:
Also I checked the claims page, and it says my claim has been pended. Does that mean I have to wait before I collect?
"Pended" happens because in a job separation there are TWO parties involved: you and your employer. Just because you might have told the UI people that you were separated under nondisqualifying circumstances (as in laid off) doesn't mean your employer is going to say the same thing. The UI people have to contact your employer and based on who says what, they UI people will either make a decision to release your payments to you or keep them until circumstances change.

Just file your (bi)weekly claim forms like you're supposed to do and see what happens.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
The letter says you did meet the requirements. Some UI workers aren't that bright and you can't live your life based on what they tell you. Sometimes you have to just do it (as in apply) and see what happens.

Assuming the computers made a mistake (they probably didn't) it wouldn't be your fault, it wouldn't be fraud, and you can't get in trouble for that. The worst they do to you is ask for the money back, and there's lots of ways not to have to pay it back. Go get your money until you're told otherwise as in by an official letter and not because low paid clerk that's probably worked there 6 months gave you bad advice.

"Pended" happens because in a job separation there are TWO parties involved: you and your employer. Just because you might have told the UI people that you were separated under nondisqualifying circumstances (as in laid off) doesn't mean your employer is going to say the same thing. The UI people have to contact your employer and based on who says what, they UI people will either make a decision to release your payments to you or keep them until circumstances change.

Just file your (bi)weekly claim forms like you're supposed to do and see what happens.

Thank you so much for your help and quick replies, really appreciate it. I'll file and see what happens.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:18 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
I filed for unemployment benefits after earning $8192 and working for 18 weeks (the requirements are $8300 or 20 working weeks). I did a monetary interview and the person told me that I wasn't eligible and my future non monetary interview was cancelled. However I received a letter today saying that I have a weekly benefit rate. Near the bottom it says something along the lines of, if "0.00" has been entered in the weekly benefit rate box, your claim is invalid and I am ineligible to receive benefits. What does this mean? Will I still be able to claim or is this letter a mistake?
If weekly benefit rate is entered, clearly it is not "0.00" and you can ignore that.

That said, what state are in? No way to know if the letter means what it says without knowing the state. Your quote sounds suspiciously like NJ. Is the $8,300 a typo?? If you are in NJ, NJ says this on earnings requirement:
Quote:
To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must have worked at least 20 base weeks in covered employment or you must have earned $8,400.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | What is Needed to Qualify? Did You Earn Enough?
NJ may have found the additional $208 needed for eligibility. Does the letter list the quarters/earnings on which this $289 benefit is based and the total monetary award?? If so, unless you are below the $8,400, you should be OK.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If weekly benefit rate is entered, clearly it is not "0.00" and you can ignore that.

That said, what state are in? No way to know if the letter means what it says without knowing the state. Your quote sounds suspiciously like NJ. Is the $8,300 a typo?? If you are in NJ, NJ says this on earnings requirement:NJ may have found the additional $208 needed for eligibility. Does the letter list the quarters/earnings on which this $289 benefit is based and the total monetary award?? If so, unless you are below the $8,400, you should be OK.
Yes I am in NJ, the person on the phone told me $8,300 but online and on this letter it says $8,400. Here is a pic of the letter. Not entirely sure what some of these dates mean
Attached Thumbnails
Don't meet requirements but still getting benefits?-20160715_182640.jpg  

Last edited by bigb0b; 07-15-2016 at 04:43 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 05:06 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
It looks to me like NJ has incorrectly duplicated your earnings from quarters ending 6/30/2016 and 3/31/2016 - as identical wages are entered on both lines for both quarters. Only difference is second line shows total weeks of 18 instead of 16. Further, since there are only 26 weeks in two quarters, the 34 base weeks shown on the bottom of the letter is wrong, as well.

What is your actual employment history? Are the earnings numbers on either line correct? If so, you are not eligible, as your wages are below $8,400.

It's possible during the pending period, NJ will catch the error. That said, NJ may pay the benefit because of this computer glitch and came after you later for a repayment when the claim is audited. If you fail to repay, NJ has several means by which it can collect - final options being Treasury Tax Offset Program under which any tax refunds are sent to NJ - or wage garnishment which NJ absolutely will do. UE overpayments can be discharged in bankruptcy in NJ, as well, if it comes to that. Not all state laws allow this.

My advice - don't take the money and avoid the hassles. Instead, find another job - even if it is for only a few weeks to pick up the money you need. NJ's third base period - earnings to the date of discharge - would then qualify you for a benefit.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-15-2016 at 05:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment