Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 08:40 PM

371 posts, read 526,690 times

Advertisements

There were gay rumors about me at work that were perpetuated by the management. I am more of a private person and keep to myself which is difficult with the forced socialization in the workplace now. It's sad as I have great skills including knowing how to write computer code. I am not actually gay, but the law I believe is real or perceived.

I was told I have 3 years to find a discrimination claim. How do I do that?

I am going to write them a note and get my personnel file. I am in NYC, a pro-employer state and I am expecting the fight of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 04:31 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
You will want to file to start out with:

The NYC Commission on Human Rights covers discrimination based on sexual orientation--actual or what is perceived by others. So even though you are not gay...this discrimination/harassment would still be covered since your employer perceived you as being gay and harassed you/discriminated against you based on this.

Unfortunately, the EEOC only handles race, sex, religion, age, color, national origin, disability, religion, and genetic information--sexual orientation is not covered under EEOC law.

You could also sue for hostile work environment/harassment if you have a lot of documentation and witnesses who you think would support you by going through an attorney.

NY is actually pretty employee-friendly from what I know of the STATE; I am not familiar with the city since when I did HR I was in the Albany region. I was working contract and had just started with an employer who got themselves into a mess by having a racist manager who fired all the black people in his department. I'll just say that despite us offering a large settlement and their jobs back ( and firing the manager), the EEOC and Human Rights group still hit the company HARD with fines.

Good luck with your case and definitely get that personnel file.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:02 PM

824 posts, read 705,490 times
hire a lawyer
-find someone who specializes in your type of litigation. First thought for a recommendation is through your local LGBT Center.
-where i live the the state runs a Attorney Regulation Counsel, a sort of better business for lawyers. You can see if there is any complaints filed against your proposed lawyer. Bet is NY has the same state functionality.
Attorney Regulation Counsel

Old 05-10-2018, 12:15 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
There were gay rumors about me at work that were perpetuated by the management. I am more of a private person and keep to myself which is difficult with the forced socialization in the workplace now. It's sad as I have great skills including knowing how to write computer code. I am not actually gay, but the law I believe is real or perceived.

I was told I have 3 years to find a discrimination claim. How do I do that?

I am going to write them a note and get my personnel file. I am in NYC, a pro-employer state and I am expecting the fight of my life.
Unless you actually suffered financial loss, you probably don't have a chance of winning anything. You have to have solid evidence. Notes left by people, detailing reports given to management. Complaints filed regarding how you were treated or if you were.....

https://www.discriminationattorney.c...easy-task.html

However in order for a case to be proven the victim must show that there was indeed some sort of disparate treatment. In other words they need to prove that purely based on the fact of their sexual orientation, they were treated worse than any other employees. The perpetrator must have engaged in some sort of intentional workplace harassment and/or discrimination. In order to ascertain this the victim might show that the employer constantly used derogatory remarks about the victim's sexual orientation, or has expressed an attitude of bias against the victim's sexual orientation.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:43 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Unless you actually suffered financial loss, you probably don't have a chance of winning anything. You have to have solid evidence. Notes left by people, detailing reports given to management. Complaints filed regarding how you were treated or if you were.....

https://www.discriminationattorney.c...easy-task.html

However in order for a case to be proven the victim must show that there was indeed some sort of disparate treatment. In other words they need to prove that purely based on the fact of their sexual orientation, they were treated worse than any other employees. The perpetrator must have engaged in some sort of intentional workplace harassment and/or discrimination. In order to ascertain this the victim might show that the employer constantly used derogatory remarks about the victim's sexual orientation, or has expressed an attitude of bias against the victim's sexual orientation.
He's right, and "treated worse" is not things like not being invited to lunch with co-workers or seated in a cube away from a window, but actual tangible/measurable impact such as termination, demotion, lower salary, not promoted, etc. based on your perceived sexuality.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:38 PM

i wasn't give bonuses even thought I accomplished a lot more than other co-workers. I was give lesser reviews, there were great comments made by EDs during the 360 process and then I get a rating that I am not meeting expectations.

In an annual survey, I was asked a question about my sexual orientation. I answered Straight which is correct. I then found out that that question was put there by one of the MDs as people didn't want to work with me and didn't help me when I asked them questions. I got odd looks after everyone was told that I answered Straight. I have never had a boyfriend in my life, but I have a higher voice than normal.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:44 PM

and I also found out that he tried to terminate me but this same MD as mentioned in my post above didn't sign off on it. She did the smart thing and asked other people sitting near me and I can quote their names.

I refused to sign off on the reviews I got as I didn't think they were fair so that is one positive I have going for me. I clearly disagreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment