Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 03:45 AM

6 posts, read 3,352 times

Advertisements

I was recently laid of by my employer, and I am just now receiving unemployment benefits. I have planned and paid for a trip overseas long before I was let go. & I did not see it coming.

My trip is paid for and the funds are put away for it (not unemployment money)

I know that I cannot claim for the days I am not in the U.S.A. but I really do not want my benefits to stop once I am back in the states. What can I do ? I am in the state of California, by the way.

I apologize if this question has been asked before, I have been on here for hours looking for answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 05:40 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,740,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyberyy View Post
I was recently laid of by my employer, and I am just now receiving unemployment benefits. I have planned and paid for a trip overseas long before I was let go. & I did not see it coming.

My trip is paid for and the funds are put away for it (not unemployment money)

I know that I cannot claim for the days I am not in the U.S.A. but I really do not want my benefits to stop once I am back in the states. What can I do ? I am in the state of California, by the way.

I apologize if this question has been asked before, I have been on here for hours looking for answers
How long will you be gone? I’m sure that you could make your biweekly claims online and just indicate that you were not actively looking for work on the online form.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:47 AM

Hello Hopelesscause,

First, thank you so much for responding! I will be gone for almost 3 weeks. I have calculated the timing and I will be able to certify before I leave as well as after I return before it's all due.

Like I said in my post, I spent hours looking for answers and still could not find any. I did learn many things however. Like not to log in your ui account while overseas, and being TOO honest bites you back in the butt.

I really dont want to lie but I also dont want them to think I am using my benefits for leisure. The money I receive barely pays off monthly bills, sadly.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:21 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,200,812 times
Or, just not file weekly claims for the time period you're gone, and reopen the claim on your return.

How you use the money is your business. The money that is paid to you is to punish the employer that put you in this mess in the first place. The whole purpose of the system was for employers to stabilize and manage their work force so that people didn't have to have unemployment payments in the first place. It's not a welfare payment because they feel sorry for you.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:57 PM

Hello Chyvan,
Thanks for replying ! I also thought about that, but re-opening the claim will take forever! Lol

I wonder though, for those weeks that i will not be "looking" for a job, if i indicate that I wasnt looking will my claim for benefits stop completely or just for those weeks?

I mean if i have no choice, i will have to do as you suggested just so there are no fraud claims against me. Thank you.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:33 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,200,812 times
Look, any time that you go a week or more without a UI payment, you are at risk of the claim closing, and you have to REopen anyway.

It doesn't take forever to reopen, it's just a pain to get through on the phone.

You can try to claim to see if it stays open. In some states that works, but don't count on it.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:39 PM

Thank You again for your help!

Old 10-21-2019, 07:21 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,137,726 times
Can you apply for 1 job a day on your trip? If you have a working email you can respond to employers to schedule interviews upon return. Then when they ask which companies you applied to you can honestly respond.

It's sort of a fib when you say "are you available to work" but that's up to you if you want to go that route. Either that or just don't certify for those weeks.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:35 AM

13,167 posts, read 21,191,915 times
The danger with trying to game the system for a few dollars is that if you are caught, the consequences can be huge. As more and more states sign unto the DHS tracking programs, the risk of getting caught increases. We have had to deal with many who got caught up in unemployment fraud cases due to being out of the country. Many still have no idea how they were caught. Remember, in the world of unemployment, there is no such thing as a "fib", it's a lie and that brings fines, penalties and over-payments.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:00 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,055,568 times
A few months ago I started my UI claim but I had to wait a couple of months as I was getting severance pay (I could not take both severance and UI at the same time). I also wanted to wait a couple of weeks more as I was out of town on a vacation. (I didn't want to bother job search while I was on vacation.)

I had not requested any payments yet. The first time window I was given to request payment had passed. I can't recall if my claim said CLOSED or some other term. I called customer service and he told me to simply go into my account on the website and Reopen Claim. I did that and everything was fine from there onward.

I'm in Colorado. Not sure how it works in other states. Maybe research Reopen Claim in your state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment