Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2020, 05:12 AM

3 posts, read 1,434 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm so thankful for this forum, I'm completely new to UI, never having applied in CA, would be grateful for any input from those who are more familiar with the process. I applied on 4/3 as self-employed food delivery gig worker under the Disaster section (citing "Public Health"), pretty sure I didn't fill out my app correctly at all and also left out info on a 2nd part-time W2 job because I didn't know at the time I was eligible for PUA under a part-time new W2 job that got delayed due to COVID.

Got access to UI Online which says this below:
1) Does anyone who has experience with CA EDD/ CA UI know what the Week Certification Status means "N/A"?
2) I'm thankful to be in the system but I'm contemplating cancelling this claim and starting over with a brand new claim when new info is posted which could be at least a few more weeks. Under a time crush because if I get the letter of determination sent I don't think I can cancel and will be stuck in decline/appeal state, which may just allow me to move onto PUA or have me in a limbo. Wondering if I should just stick it out with this claim cause I know it's a blessing to be in the system and have something happening at this point?
3) If I understand correctly we all have to give up things 'making sense' because the system is just not set up yet for self-employed/IC/ COVID-related but they are trying to get everyone as far along in the process as possible.... Have I been pushed through?
4) When do they usually send a letter of determination? If I have the below notice on my UI Online does that mean my claim has been deemed eligible? (I filled out NO past quarterly IC/1099 info on my claim application, but I think the have the means to look up our wage history by their own means?)

Thankful for any insight anyone may have and I hope this also helps others who are on this journey. God bless everyone, we're all in this together, shalom to all.

--------------------------------------
Notifications
No Weeks Available to Certify

You do not have week(s) available to certify. Check back after 04/12/2020 for your next available week(s).

Claim Summary
Last Payment Issued
None

Claim Balance
$0.00

Weekly Benefit Amount
$0.00

Benefit Year
03/29/2020 - 03/27/2021

Work Search Requirements
You must be able and available for work each week.

Week 1 Certification Status
N/A

Week 2 Certification Status
N/A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 06:11 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,159,377 times
Ok, this one's going to get a bit messy, as you didn't input your 1099 wage information and - unless you've been paying employment taxes on that - they're not going to have this info. You also should have included the W-2 wages.

However, that's all a moot point at this juncture. I don't see how you could legitimately get through to EDD to get the claim cancelled, and you'll need a UI denial to kick over to PUA anyway.

You'd begin certifying on after 4/12, which really doesn't do much, as they won't have your claim processed by then - but it will add to payable weeks once you've moved over to PUA.

At this point, just round up your 1099's, Tax Returns, any pay stubs and wait for the letters.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 1,434 times
Thanks Skipito for insight! I did request cancellation and some guidance through the online message system but that could take 48+ hours for a reply. If I am able to cancel, at this point, would that be the best step and wait for more applicable PUA updated application/instructions?

1) When I applied 4/3 there was no place to put 1099 wage info, or is there a new place where we're supposed to put it? Or are we supposed to now put 'Self-Employed' as 'Last Employer" and then put 1099 wage info there? And though I do have this first claim pending, the Online UI system seems to be letting me file a new claim right now but that would mean I have two in the system at the same time, does anyone know if that is normal/allowable?

2) The W2 wages is for a part-time job that I haven't started yet because the job was slated to start in April but has been delayed, would you suggest I just list that job as another/2nd employer? I didn't think I could because there is no wage history with a job I haven't started yet though I do know my monthly salary. As things are developing it seems like we're just supposed to get them as much info in whatever field as possible. That's why I thought it would be best to cancel my claim and just be patient to wait for more instructions on applying for PUA in the new system.

3) If I did get my first claim cancelled, would it be prudent to fill out another claim asap with the additional W2 PT/1099 info and let that go through the system?

Seriously, the stress over this is really intense, thanks for helping us out with sharing what info you know of. I wish EDD would just post ANY kind of guidance for some general situations. More official specific instructions & information at this point other than 'wait' would be so helpful to all of us. My heart goes out to those who are supporting families and with other issues... my prayers go out to everyone for health, peace and resolution as soon as possible.

Thank you again in advance for any input from Skipito and anyone else who may have some insight!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment