Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2020, 02:54 PM

9 posts, read 6,650 times

Advertisements

I quit my job back in march 27,2020 to care for my 8 yr old daughter and help her with school. Also my babysitter did not want to care for them because she was afraid of getting sick or getting them sick. So i had no choice. First i had a 2 week paid leave due to covid19. Then i called hr to see what else i could do to keep my job. At this time i was waiting on payroll for a position i had applied for and i had gotten the job it was still the same company i was just switching dept. Then they told me i could use vac. time or sick time. After that it would be a leave of absence. Mind you there was 2 positions for this job and they were waiting on me. By law i couldve still had my job. I just couldn't do that to my employer who had been so good to me. They had to fill .y position. So i decided to resign. On march 10 i decided to apply for unemployment. Im on week 4 i requested payment on march 24 like the website said to do. I then saw i had active issue for care of another pending review. Now when i requested payment it asked if i could work and if i was able and available i answered truthful that i was not. I dont have suitable child care at the moment. Then i received an email that i need to explain why i am not. So i replied to this email like it asked me to do. Haven't heard anything from them and phones are so jammed i cant get through. Help does anyone experience something like this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 07:13 PM

957 posts, read 541,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae915 View Post
I quit my job back in march 27,2020 to care for my 8 yr old daughter and help her with school. Also my babysitter did not want to care for them because she was afraid of getting sick or getting them sick. So i had no choice. First i had a 2 week paid leave due to covid19. Then i called hr to see what else i could do to keep my job. At this time i was waiting on payroll for a position i had applied for and i had gotten the job it was still the same company i was just switching dept. Then they told me i could use vac. time or sick time. After that it would be a leave of absence. Mind you there was 2 positions for this job and they were waiting on me. By law i couldve still had my job. I just couldn't do that to my employer who had been so good to me. They had to fill .y position. So i decided to resign. On march 10 i decided to apply for unemployment. Im on week 4 i requested payment on march 24 like the website said to do. I then saw i had active issue for care of another pending review. Now when i requested payment it asked if i could work and if i was able and available i answered truthful that i was not. I dont have suitable child care at the moment. Then i received an email that i need to explain why i am not. So i replied to this email like it asked me to do. Haven't heard anything from them and phones are so jammed i cant get through. Help does anyone experience something like this??
First of all... which state are you?
Secondly... Generally during Covid, if you were caring for another then you would answer 'yes' because 'but for covid' you would be. However, once school is out - you would have had some kind of daycare or camp or whatever set up - so Im not sure for once the school year would have been over.
Thirdly.. Im confused about your time line - you said you applied on March 10 and that you are now on week 4 - but we are June now... which is far longer than 4 weeks...can you be a little more clear?

Old 06-06-2020, 12:09 AM

Hello sorry so i applied march 10 but online it says im on week 4 i know its been longer than that i applied in Colorado its where i live. It still says pending approval

Old 06-06-2020, 08:02 AM

957 posts, read 541,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae915 View Post
Hello sorry so i applied march 10 but online it says im on week 4 i know its been longer than that i applied in Colorado its where i live. It still says pending approval
Ok... look on this page https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdle/ui/new-claimant where it says : "please complete this request for us to give you a call' and do that.

So this portion of the UI guidelines says this (although its not quite your scenario as you are being asked to telework)

" My employer will let me work from home with pay. However, because my children are out of school and my spouse is working, I need to care for them and it is too difficult to work from home. Under Section 2102(a)(3)(A)(ii)(I)(dd) of the CARES Act, I self-certify that I need my kids to be at school in order for me to be able to work. Do I qualify for PUA?
You may qualify. The CARES Act does provide PUA to an individual who is the “primary caregiver” of a child who is at home due to a forced school closure that directly results from the COVID-19 public health emergency. However, to qualify as a primary caregiver, your provision of care to the child must require such ongoing and constant attention that it is not possible for you to perform your customary work functions at home. For example, if your employer allows you to telework and you are caring for a more mature child who is able to care for him or herself for much of the day, you likely would not qualify for PUA because you are still able to work.

In addition, you should bear in mind that the CARES Act provides PUA only when a child is home because of a school closure that is a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency. A school is not closed as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency, for purposes of 2102(a)(3)(A)(ii)(I)(dd), after the date the school year was originally scheduled to end. That means that, once the school year is over, parents should rely on their customary summer arrangements for caring for their children, and will not, absent some other qualifying circumstances, be eligible to receive PUA. If, however, the facility that they rely on to provide summer care for the child is also closed as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency, they may continue to qualify for PUA. Similarly, if there is some other reason under which they qualify for PUA, they will continue to be eligible to receive benefits. "

Colorado 'Safer at Home' executive order https://www.colorado.gov/governor/si...0at%20Home.pdf look at II. F. (or do a control F search for the word 'child')

After reading some of this... it looks like what you need to apply for is the PUA not the regular UI.

I would start with the link to have someone call you and go from there.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:29 AM

Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment