Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 12:35 PM

50 posts, read 106,283 times

Advertisements

Looking at the options for an active adult in a non-active adult community. Looking at the east Mesa area, also Goodyear, Palm Valley and north Phoenix. Would I have any trouble finding someone to play tennis or pickleball with? Are there Rec centers, parks, or YMCA's in these areas that have senior programs? Is there a time and place for social play? Senior outings or social events? Perhaps a potluck? But outside of a 55+ community?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 12:39 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,053 times
I know Goodyear has some city-related events (trips, dining) for seniors. Also, many churches offer groups for seniors that play sports, travel, and dine together. Many people are active in this area, so I can't imagine finding active people with whom to enjoy recreational events would be difficult. We live in Palm Valley and are quite happy, but some of the senior communities are awesome!

Old 04-21-2014, 12:53 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
My father-in-law was unable to find regular tennis in Goodyear outside of Pebble Creek. The only place he could find to play was at the open session they have once or twice a week at Pebble Creek. He wasn't staying at Pebble Creek at the time so it was a bit of a hassle to get on and off each time because they always wanted to know who's house he was going to for the temporary pass.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:43 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Well, you haven't said what your price point is or what type of home you are considering, but there are several very nice communities in N. Scottsdale that are not adult communities but are popular with an older demographic. Terravita, Winfield, Bellasera, Legend Trail, just to name a few. All have very active community associations, clubs of every type imaginable (book club, hiking club, men's club, women's club) and regular outings like sporting events (Diamondbacks, Cardinals) or theatre etc.

Both Terravita and Winfield have large tennis clubs with players at all levels from social tennis to USTA leagues. Terravita, Legend Trail have golf clubs as well. All above named communities are gated and have extensive walking paths/sidewalks in and around the community. If you are outgoing you will make lots of friends.

I will offer one more suggestion if you do not want the North valley, Sun Lakes in the east valley, has a large facility, Iron Oaks which is one of the best in the valley. Although it is 55+ community,

Old 04-21-2014, 09:30 PM

768 posts, read 1,758,833 times
Check out your local parks and rec department and the closest community college. Both in Scottsdale offer lots of tennis leagues, swim teams, softball, etc. for ALL ages.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Didn't you like what we told you when you asked this same question about Tucson?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:04 PM

50 posts, read 106,283 times
HA Jukesgrrl, well, you're right about the Tucson answers. We are looking to retire in the SW. Just don't now where yet. I was hoping for more in both Phoenix and Tucson areas when it comes to activities outside of a 55+ community. Unless of course you want to pay resort fees. I'll investigate Terravita, Winfield, Bellasera, Legend Trail, but I suspect they have a high price point, too. And I'll look at the rec centers closer. Is there a rec center in Goodyear? Interested to see that Pebblecreek offers an open session day. Really?

Old 04-22-2014, 02:18 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magswheel View Post
HA Jukesgrrl, well, you're right about the Tucson answers. We are looking to retire in the SW. Just don't now where yet. I was hoping for more in both Phoenix and Tucson areas when it comes to activities outside of a 55+ community. Unless of course you want to pay resort fees. I'll investigate Terravita, Winfield, Bellasera, Legend Trail, but I suspect they have a high price point, too. And I'll look at the rec centers closer. Is there a rec center in Goodyear? Interested to see that Pebblecreek offers an open session day. Really?
There's a very nice YMCA. Goodyear has a lot of sports leagues and misc activities but they are aimed more at a younger crowd. They do have trips here and there for old people, but it looks to be pretty boring. Estrella, the master planned community in south Goodyear has a lot of activities for all ages (including pickleball!) and is not age restricted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area