Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2020, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,212 times

Advertisements

Thank you in advance for reading my situation and helping in any way that you can. Need some guidance please...

Was on maternity leave and expected to return on 4/1/2020. Had child care arrangements set up for my return. They backed out due to COVID-19 in early March. I immediately told my job that I lost my child care arrangements and resigned because it took a long time to acquire proper child care (child has a medical condition) and I knew I wouldn’t find someone else during the pandemic in less than 2 weeks. Everywhere was closing or not taking children under 1 year old. The state of NJ shut down 10 days after I quit.

Filed my NJ unemployment claim on 4/12/2020. Said I voluntarily quit due to COVID-19 child care closure. Received one benefit payment then it stopped. Received denial letter a week or so later. “You are disqualified for benefits from 3/1/2020 and will continue to be disqualified until you have worked eight or more weeks in employment and have earned at least ten times your weekly benefit rate. Since your reason for leaving. Was personal, it does not constitute good cause attributable to the work. You are disqualified from benefits”

I hired an unemployment attorney and we appealed it. The appeal was denied as well for the same reason. I still continue to certify weekly. Today I re-opened my claim. My attorney believes I should be approved for benefits. If not regular UI, then definitely PUA.

My questions are:
1) Will I qualify for PUA? If so, is it automatic or do I have to try and speak to an agent?
2) I reopened my claim today online - will I get paid for weeks certified going forward? Or all of the ones I already certified for since 4/18? I understand if I’m on a penalty hold/8 weeks I won’t get back pay. Everything is so confusing with the PUA rules and pandemic situation.

I have a cousin who quit her job way before I did (she quit in middle of 2019 because she “didn’t want to work there anymore”) and she filed/got denied/now is receiving PUA benefits. I need help getting PUA if I’m qualified. Please help. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 02:53 PM

13,143 posts, read 21,087,137 times
Even if you get PUA benefits now, that does not mean they wont decide later you were not qualified and come after you for all their money back. Many people who are receiving federal benefits (not state alone) may find themselves in for a nasty surprise once the dust settles and they can examine/audit claims versus rush-rush to get them paid.

Since you're paying an attorney to get nothing, might as well keep paying them in hopes their luck changes.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,212 times
I was wondering that, too (how so many people are getting PUA for quitting their jobs and whether or not it would come back to haunt them in an audit). Well I guess I’ll see what happens. My lawyer is going to send a letter to the Board of Review. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment