Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 10:49 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,717 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed that there has been a general increase in people panhandling that are neither retarded, a drug abuser, an alcoholic or mentally ill. Instead I am seeing more relatively normal looking and acting people who are at wits end and just can not find a job. They are standing at the street corner with a sign or walking up and down the street asking stopped motorists for help.

I have stopped and asked some of these people for their story and am surprised how normal they seem. I see a 1930s style situation soon. Would you give them some help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 10:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
I never give money directly to a beggar. I will buy them a sandwich or a cup of coffee, but I don't care how sad their story is, no cash.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
I have a friend who started doing this out of desperation almost 4 years ago. The first year he made just over $40K standing out there with his sign. He has grossed around that same amount each year. When he was working he was grossing a whopping $28K.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:31 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I have a friend who started doing this out of desperation almost 4 years ago. The first year he made just over $40K standing out there with his sign. He has grossed around that same amount each year. When he was working he was grossing a whopping $28K.
Then when you figure he ain't paying income tax on the $40K, it is well more than double his $28K.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:42 AM

132 posts, read 430,297 times
Very sad, I always give them money.

The recession will have a slow recovery, many men could be entering into a period of prolonged and growing misery. What's worse is Obama can care less.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
have markxalot, will write.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:18 PM

64 posts, read 208,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Who can blame him except someone genuinely in need of charity? Reality does not cut you a break if you can not pay your bills. Better a person panhandle then commit larceny or go on government support. I am finding new respect for people who throw it back right in our faces that is all about money in this society. Make no mistake about it, we measure our success and worthiness in how much money we accumulate. We work hard for that money, too. Maybe the age of conspicuous consumption and overt lack of thrift is over finally.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:42 PM

710 posts, read 1,962,256 times
I blame them. It's deceitful and shameful to lie and prey upon people's emotions and guilt to induce them to give you money. It's nothing more than a con artist's game. They used to have signs that said "Will Work For Food" since most people just give money, but too many people took them up on their offer, which was not what they wanted. They suddenly tend to develop all sorts of back problems and work restrictions.

It's dishonest and wrong.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:31 AM

64 posts, read 208,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
I blame them. It's deceitful and shameful to lie and prey upon people's emotions and guilt to induce them to give you money. It's nothing more than a con artist's game. They used to have signs that said "Will Work For Food" since most people just give money, but too many people took them up on their offer, which was not what they wanted. They suddenly tend to develop all sorts of back problems and work restrictions.

It's dishonest and wrong.
There are laws in places to shoo away panhandlers. It is not exactly a con. It is more theater at the stoplight. Maybe pantomime even. I do not give them money. Honestly, they remind us that people will give up going to work making money for others and decide to cut to the chase and ask for money without middlemen taking their cut. Here, remember this:

About Save Karyn (http://www.savekaryn.com/AboutSaveKaryn.htm - broken link)

I would hire the panhandlers if I had a company. I'd start them at $3/hour. Gee, not enough pay? You get the picture? It is all about money. How they make theirs I stopped caring about. I only care about how I make mine now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment