Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:40 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,463 times

Advertisements

I've heard that plenty of times and it's asinine to say the least. Since when did a college degree guarantee anything in life? Needless to say I run into comment numerous by people who are flabergasted at the thought of a college graduate having a hard time finding a job. I can imagine the responses I would get if I went to get my Master's!

I hear that clueless loud thought by some employers, family members, and acquaintances.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I've heard that plenty of times and it's asinine to say the least. Since when did a college degree guarantee anything in life? Needless to say I run into comment numerous by people who are flabergasted at the thought of a college graduate having a hard time finding a job. I can imagine the responses I would get if I went to get my Master's!

I hear that clueless loud thought by some employers, family members, and acquaintances.
There's too many factors that come into play to have a blanket statement about having a college degree and having a job. The most obvious one being that "not all college degrees are equal". Followed by "not all industries are equal".

Old 02-25-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's too many factors that come into play to have a blanket statement about having a college degree and having a job. The most obvious one being that "not all college degrees are equal". Followed by "not all industries are equal".
Right. That statement was probably true maybe 15 years ago, but that statement means zero nowadays. I was waiting beside a girl who had a Master's degree and we were interviewing for the same job at...*drumroll please* TARGET for a seasonal sales team member job.

Those days of a degree equal great pay, great career, and a great life are almost rare these days.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:08 PM

I'm a bit more optimistic than you.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:09 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,446,064 times
Quote:
Right. That statement was probably true maybe 15 years ago, but that statement means zero nowadays. I was waiting beside a girl who had a Master's degree and we were interviewing for the same job at...*drumroll please* TARGET for a seasonal sales team member job.

Those days of a degree equal great pay, great career, and a great life are almost rare these days.
What's your degree in?

Old 02-25-2012, 05:19 PM

377 posts, read 620,225 times
I know where you're coming from. People who haven't been to college will assume you are just lazy and not looking hard enough. I spent the last two years sending resumes to hundreds of places, with either no response or the generically automated HR "response".

Old 02-25-2012, 05:21 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
Quote:

Then ask them why the unemployment rate for College graduates isn't 0..

College opens more opportunities but doesn't guarantee finding employment or higher earnings.. most of us knew that even before we went off to college.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm a bit more optimistic than you.
I don't believe in optimism and pessimism. They are both, IMHO, extremes that are unrealistic in life. I believe in realism.

...but back on topic...

Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
I know where you're coming from. People who haven't been to college will assume you are just lazy and not looking hard enough. I spent the last two years sending resumes to hundreds of places, with either no response or the generically automated HR "response".
Oh yes, the typical "lazy" response. I've received that perception by some and so have many college graduates. I've also heard some say that college graduates have an unrealistic expectations about the job market, but it doesn't apply to me. I've been fine starting with a crappy low wage job and working myself up.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:26 PM

This kind of post always leads to two questions:

1) Are unemployed lazy?
2) If you're not going to be a petroleum engineer*, should you bother getting a degree?

*replace with any highly skilled profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment