Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times

Advertisements

There are a large number of college graduates applying for every job, they cannot all get it.

The last data I saw data shows only about 46% of college graduates getting jobs in 2011.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:18 AM

71 posts, read 249,998 times
A famous quote from the movie Office Space puts it nicely..."If you said that around here you'd get your ass kicked"

Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are a large number of college graduates applying for every job, they cannot all get it.

The last data I saw data shows only about 46% of college graduates getting jobs in 2011.
That statistic is completely wrong. It's not even possible. Maybe 46% of recent graduates...

Old 02-27-2012, 01:31 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,975,362 times
I actually think that statement is true. However, people who say that mean you should be able to get a job where you are extremely overqualified. Or work for less desirable companies.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:10 AM

644 posts, read 1,145,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I actually think that statement is true. However, people who say that mean you should be able to get a job where you are extremely overqualified. Or work for less desirable companies.
I think I can understand where they are coming from, but we live in a different society. Now if I lived during my dad's time, yeah sure I would have had a full time job with benefits making almost 6 figures by now at my age and if I was my dad age now, I could retire like a fat cat. The 2000's are a totally different story. I just feel like nowadays job experience is valued over education. I can understand that, but I don't think inexperienced people should be left out of the job market.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:29 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I've heard that plenty of times and it's asinine to say the least. Since when did a college degree guarantee anything in life? .
$60k in the aerospace industry. I dropped out of high school in '93, got my GED in 1994 and started my first manufacturing job later that year making $6 an hr. It's been all uphill since... doubled that by 2003 and doubled again in 2012.

No college degree... just a few weeks of tech training.

By comparison my former roommate makes the same 60k after graduating with his degree that includes $100k in student loan debt.

Ouch.

Yes it would seem experience is valued more over education... at least in my case.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
$60k in the aerospace industry. I dropped out of high school in '93, got my GED in 1994 and started my first manufacturing job later that year making $6 an hr. It's been all uphill since... doubled that by 2003 and doubled again in 2012.

No college degree... just a few weeks of tech training.

By comparison my former roommate makes the same 60k after graduating with his degree that includes $100k in student loan debt.

Ouch.

Yes it would seem experience is valued more over education... at least in my case.
That sounds 100% accurante. I'm not in that much debt compared to my counterparts (I know some in 100,000+) and that's what's holding some people back. Most of your paycheck goes to your student loans and then most people that get out of college do not get a full-time job with benefits, so they are barely getting by. I think people romanticize college when it doesn't apply to the 2000's.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
That sounds 100% accurante. I'm not in that much debt compared to my counterparts (I know some in 100,000+) and that's what's holding some people back. Most of your paycheck goes to your student loans and then most people that get out of college do not get a full-time job with benefits, so they are barely getting by. I think people romanticize college when it doesn't apply to the 2000's.
Yep... I can remember saying to myself "you need to go to college" and my parents pressing the issue but I ended up going to work and haven't looked back.

I'm actually glad I didn't go. I went back to work in May 2011 after a long layoff and have built my savings back up to a comfortable level. The main reason is because I have no debt other than a $220 car payment on a $5k balance. By comparison, my former roommates student loan payment on that $100k was over $500 a month.

After my divorce in 2008 I started discussions to buy a house early in 2009. I decided against it and dodged a huge bullet because I was laid off that November. When I landed this job in 2011 I was free to move cross country to WA because I didn't have a house or anything else holding me there in GA.

2012 looks to be a good year... I saw on the news that Boeing is ramping up production and is "worried that their suppliers won't be able to keep up." That's good news for me... the overtime is where the money is in this business. It has me sleeping well at night for the first time in a long time.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Yep... I can remember saying to myself "you need to go to college" and my parents pressing the issue but I ended up going to work and haven't looked back.

I'm actually glad I didn't go. I went back to work in May 2011 after a long layoff and have built my savings back up to a comfortable level. The main reason is because I have no debt other than a $220 car payment on a $5k balance. By comparison, my former roommates student loan payment on that $100k was over $500 a month.

After my divorce in 2008 I started discussions to buy a house early in 2009. I decided against it and dodged a huge bullet because I was laid off that November. When I landed this job in 2011 I was free to move cross country to WA because I didn't have a house or anything else holding me there in GA.

2012 looks to be a good year... I saw on the news that Boeing is ramping up production and is "worried that their suppliers won't be able to keep up." That's good news for me... the overtime is where the money is in this business. It has me sleeping well at night for the first time in a long time.
Yeah they push students to go to college without giving them the warning signs. I know before I went to college, nobody told me about the financial aspect and that's a HUGE thing about college. People forget that college is a business just like anything else, it's just an ACADEMIC business. I wish somebody told me the horrors of student loans, getting into debt with student loans, etc. Thankfully my debt isn't as high as others because I had some grants and scholarships in the mix, but it's still something that will be a burden for me until I pay it all off. I think it's irresponsible for people to push college on people without giving the general warnings about going.

That's good you're able to think about buying a house. I don't think I'll be able to do that for a long time. lol Trust when I say that student loan debt is debt like no other. That crap will mess you up almost for LIFE if you fall behind, but other debts aren't so bad.

I heard about Boeing, I know they are supposed to be coming here where I am, but unfortunately I feel like my lack of job experience will not add up to what they seek in an employee.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
well yea, back in the day only the academically gifted went on to college. now anyone can go. those in older generations don't always quite get how different it is now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment