Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:43 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not really the same as buying a car or a home.

With schools, the schools fund their students. As tuition rises, so does their funding.

Although, don't take this as me thinking that people should not take loans for school. I understand that people make their choices based on different criteria. For example, I am looking at business schools. Rutgers (a school near me) has a well ranked program. But it's not on my list because it is a public school and will cost me more than a private school. Luckily, we have a few good business schools in my area. If we didn't, I might have no choice but to go to Rutgers if I wanted to stay in this area.
Actually yes it is. Education is a business and it's an investment. It's an investment that not everybody can afford out of pocket and sometimes scholarships and grants just aren't enough to pay your tuition.

Everybody's financial situation is different...that is just a fact.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Actually yes it is. Education is a business and it's an investment. It's an investment that not everybody can afford out of pocket and sometimes scholarships and grants just aren't enough to pay your tuition.

Everybody's financial situation is different...that is just a fact.
The point is that it's very possible to graduate with 10-20k in student loan debt which is not very much.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:20 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The point is that it's very possible to graduate with 10-20k in student loan debt which is not very much.
I never said it was. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saing that's it's not possible for everybody to graduate without debt.

I get what you're saying though.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Correct, Gatornation, debt must be controlled. Parents should be telling Johnny to skip Cancun vacations in the summer and work 60 hours per week in the summer. Johnny is young, and can handle it. There is no reason not to work part-time during the school year as well. And the money earned should be channeled to the basics, its not play money for fun times. Its purpose is to reduce the loan amount needed.

It also would be wise to press Johnny for good grades EARLY (high school) as many scholarships are available.

Finally, kids should be encouraged to attend public colleges more, and even if their best match appears to be a private expensive school, they school attend a public college for the first 2 years and TRANSFER for the last 2. That reduces the number of high cost years, and makes a world of difference.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:32 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Correct, Gatornation, debt must be controlled. Parents should be telling Johnny to skip Cancun vacations in the summer and work 60 hours per week in the summer. Johnny is young, and can handle it. There is no reason not to work part-time during the school year as well. And the money earned should be channeled to the basics, its not play money for fun times. Its purpose is to reduce the loan amount needed.

It also would be wise to press Johnny for good grades EARLY (high school) as many scholarships are available.

Finally, kids should be encouraged to attend public colleges more, and even if their best match appears to be a private expensive school, they school attend a public college for the first 2 years and TRANSFER for the last 2. That reduces the number of high cost years, and makes a world of difference.
Agreed. Many of the top public and private schools will not graduate you with much debt. When you start to get down lower in the school quality the value of a public becomes much greater.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
This only applies if you intend on getting a lower quality education. The good private schools do not put you in much debt.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i disagree with those who insist its "all about experience" now. its not- not any more than it has been before, anyway. plenty of companies prefer to have young, untrained, enthusiastic employees to train as they desire. there simply just aren't as many jobs as there used to be. someone who's been in the workforce for a while prob has a more expansive network which definitely helps, but if you're whining that you can't get a job because you have no experience then you're just making excuses.
How can you say that any hiring practices done today are similar to how they were done in the past? Unemployment is over twice as high as it was in the past and employers get to pick the cream of the crop when hiring people. I have a bachelors degree and I have applied at hundreds of the companies over the past two months since graduation. I even packed up my life in Florida to move to Dallas because of the lower unemployment rate and I still can't find any work. I don't have any experience in the workforce outside of serving food and beverages. This can be the only thing that explains why companies aren't giving me a chance. Why would they pick me, a simple college graduate, when they have the choice of countless other college graduates with experience to boot?

By the way. You are exactly the type of person the OP refers to.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
I've heard that plenty of times and it's asinine to say the least. Since when did a college degree guarantee anything in life? Needless to say I run into comment numerous by people who are flabergasted at the thought of a college graduate having a hard time finding a job. I can imagine the responses I would get if I went to get my Master's!

I hear that clueless loud thought by some employers, family members, and acquaintances.
I agree. The problem is that some stupid person got it into their heads several years ago to spread some stupid misinformation that college degrees were some express elevator to success.

That has NEVER been true. And now that it's becoming evident that it's never really been true, people are all bent out of shape because they believed something that was never true in the first place.

It's like my dog thinking that if she hits the bell with her paw, it makes a cookie appear out of thin air. Boy, does she get cheezed off when she hits the bell over and over and no cookie materializes. Guess what, pumpkin? There never was a magic cookie bell. It just so happened that you got a cookie a few times in the beginning...no reason to extrapolate that to mean that a struck bell will always equal a cookie.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:09 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
I've heard that plenty of times and it's asinine to say the least. Since when did a college degree guarantee anything in life? Needless to say I run into comment numerous by people who are flabergasted at the thought of a college graduate having a hard time finding a job. I can imagine the responses I would get if I went to get my Master's!

I hear that clueless loud thought by some employers, family members, and acquaintances.
What is your degree in?

Are you a noun? As in, "I am a ......"

or are you an "I have a _________ degree"?

Huge difference.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
well yea, back in the day only the academically gifted went on to college. now anyone can go. those in older generations don't always quite get how different it is now
Why would someone who is not "academically gifted" want to attend higher education?

The fact that MOST people can get into college speaks volumes.

As Groucho Marx once said...."Why would I want to belong to a club that would have me as a member?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment