Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i disagree with those who insist its "all about experience" now. its not- not any more than it has been before, anyway. plenty of companies prefer to have young, untrained, enthusiastic employees to train as they desire. there simply just aren't as many jobs as there used to be. someone whos been in the workforce for a while prob has a more expansive network which definitely helps, but if you're whining that you can't get a job because you have no experience then you're just making excuses.
It's not "whining" nor "complaining" when you get rejections and they TELL you it's because they chose somebody that has more job experience than you do.

Yeah it happens, shocking I know. /sarcasm

Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
It's not possible for a lot of poor students and those who don't have the money to go to school. If it wasn't for student loans I could have never attended college in the first place.

You wouldn't understand if you weren't in everybody's shoes. Different situations for different individuals.
Why didn't you go to a school that provides scholarships or financial aid in the form of grants? There were a lot of students from low income families in my college.... almost all of which graduated with no debt.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post
Gatornation, read the last paragraph again SLOWLY!
You're not following. An 18 year old dropout isn't going to jave luck your friend did years ago.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:50 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
Quote:
It's not "whining" nor "complaining" when you get rejections and they TELL you it's because they chose somebody that has more job experience than you do.

Yeah it happens, shocking I know. /sarcasm

im sure its the case for many jobs, i just meant that its not any more prevelant now than it was in the past

Old 02-28-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
im sure its the case for many jobs, i just meant that its not any more prevelant now than it was in the past
I'm just saying that when you use the word "excuses" then your implying that everybody unemployed wants to be unemployed. You don't know each individuals' situations in life, so I wouldn't judge.

People assume a lot about me, but they aren't in my shoes.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why didn't you go to a school that provides scholarships or financial aid in the form of grants? There were a lot of students from low income families in my college.... almost all of which graduated with no debt.
Umm...I think I already mentioned I had scholarships and grants(not sure if I did), but many times those funds aren't enough to pay your tuition. There's a reason why we have student loans, it's to help to people, but with anything in life there's disadvantages.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:11 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
Quote:
Umm...I think I already mentioned I had scholarships and grants(not sure if I did), but many times those funds aren't enough to pay your tuition. There's a reason why we have student loans, it's to help to people, but with anything in life there's disadvantages.
Student loan debt depends on the quality of student and school. Top 50 schools are graduating kids with around 15k in student loans which is not very much. It can be done for lesser students and schools also but might take you working a lot of going to CC for the first two years.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Student loan debt depends on the quality of student and school. Top 50 schools are graduating kids with around 15k in student loans which is not very much. It can be done for lesser students and schools also but might take you working a lot of going to CC for the first two years.
I went to one of the up and coming schools in SC and like all other schoosl, the tuition goes up just about every year. It's going to get to the point where you have to be privilege to go to college with rising tuition costs.

I just think those who tell others that they shouldn't be in debt, do not know everybody's financial situation nor is it anybody's business. It's like other people saying, "So well you shouldn't have any car loans or a mortgage then." Everybody isn't capable of paying for things out of pocket.

It's one of those reasons why I want to hold off on the idea of going to graduate school, I'm not going to graduate school JUST to defer my loans. That's a stupid reason to me.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post

Degrees don't mean squat in this new era, it's all about experience.

I have a friend that never graduated from High School but has 12 years experience heading up the IT dept with AT&T. He recently moved from Texas to Colorado. He has more job offers AS A HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUT than anybody I know with a Bachelors or a Masters in the same field. He is making 80k plus a year right now depending if he wants the overtime or not.
As I said earlier in the thread, that sounds like what has happened to me. I dropped out in '93, got my GED in '94. I don't have a degree, just a couple weeks of tech training.

After getting my GED I started in 1994 making $18k working for a small window manufacturing company... moved on to Great Dane Trailers... then a couple mom and pop machine shops, now I'm at $60k+ working for a aerospace company who is a top Boeing supplier. I had to move from GA to WA for the job but it's sure better than the unemployment check I was getting.

Work is very good right now... lots of overtime. I started at the bottom and steadily worked my way up over the years... no degree, just a lot of experience.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
I went to one of the up and coming schools in SC and like all other schoosl, the tuition goes up just about every year. It's going to get to the point where you have to be privilege to go to college with rising tuition costs.

I just think those who tell others that they shouldn't be in debt, do not know everybody's financial situation nor is it anybody's business. It's like other people saying, "So well you shouldn't have any car loans or a mortgage then." Everybody isn't capable of paying for things out of pocket.

It's one of those reasons why I want to hold off on the idea of going to graduate school, I'm not going to graduate school JUST to defer my loans. That's a stupid reason to me.
It's not really the same as buying a car or a home.

With schools, the schools fund their students. As tuition rises, so does their funding.

Although, don't take this as me thinking that people should not take loans for school. I understand that people make their choices based on different criteria. For example, I am looking at business schools. Rutgers (a school near me) has a well ranked program. But it's not on my list because it is a public school and will cost me more than a private school. Luckily, we have a few good business schools in my area. If we didn't, I might have no choice but to go to Rutgers if I wanted to stay in this area.

Last edited by NJBest; 02-28-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment