Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 06:44 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,367,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
Anybody got the number of people falling off all benefits by end of 2010? I looked but I couldn't find the numbers.
I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but if the bill doesn't pass and filing deadlines are never extended beyond early June, wouldn't that mean that pretty much everyone who is now receiving regular or extended benefits would exhaust them by 12/31?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:56 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,994,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but if the bill doesn't pass and filing deadlines are never extended beyond early June, wouldn't that mean that pretty much everyone who is now receiving regular or extended benefits would exhaust them by 12/31?
Can't speak for "everyone" -- but if you collect in New Jersey and are just now starting regular benefits, you could conceivably be collecting for 46 weeks (26 weeks of regular benefits; 20 weeks of EB, as long as NJ maintains a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8%).

Old 05-25-2010, 07:04 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,367,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Can't speak for "everyone" -- but if you collect in New Jersey and are just now starting regular benefits, you could conceivably be collecting for 46 weeks (26 weeks of regular benefits; 20 weeks of EB, as long as NJ maintains a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8%).
True, I forgot about the state extensions...

Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM

285 posts, read 562,190 times
Got this form letter today. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

Thank you for contacting me regarding unemployment and COBRA benefit extensions. I appreciate hearing from you and am glad to have the opportunity to respond.
I will continue to support a temporary extension of unemployment insurance and COBRA benefits, provided that the cost is offset. I empathize with the Georgians and all Americans who are out of work in these tough economic times, but I also feel it is a dangerous precedent for our nation's economic stability to continue to extend these benefits with borrowed money.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please visit my webpage at Johnny Isakson, US Senator
for more information on the issues important to you and to sign up for my e-newsletter

Sincerely,
Johnny Isakson
United States Senator

In other words folks, Here is one to add to the list of people to call or fax. As you know this is the way most of the republicans look at it. Tough shyt you may as well say.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 PM
qsr

47 posts, read 104,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post

Sincerely,
Johnny Isakson
United States Senator

In other words folks, Here is one to add to the list of people to call or fax. As you know this is the way most of the republicans look at it. Tough shyt you may as well say.
IMHO it's no use to try to talk to these kinds of guys. The only recourse we have is to get a different person from a different party elected next time. They know you don't and won't ever contribute to their campaign. Their constituency has jobs or is already wealthy and looks down on people who struggle.

In reality they have no power anyway. Everything rests on Collins, Snowe, Brown, and the Democrats. They will be most susceptible to pressure.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:25 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,662,568 times
lol, I cant believe that response. Its funny the Repubs. were not worried about money when throwing it at wars and their bailouts. That response is hysterical.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 PM

870 posts, read 1,406,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
Any of the Senators who vote against this bill will be committing political suicide. Come November there will be billboards with the actual vote count on HR4213 with the Senators voting no highlighted in bold red. Anybody got the number of people falling off all benefits by end of 2010? I looked but I couldn't find the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Man View Post
I just read in USUNEMPLOYED Blogsite that there are 11 million unemployed right now in this country who have exhausted benefits or are about to exhaust benefits. That sounds like a staggering number to me.

http://usunemployed.blogspot.com/

I read this number and was very much surprised. Check out the article first and see if that's consistent with your question.

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 05-25-2010 at 09:53 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,994,192 times
Default Update On Continuing Delays With HR 4213

This evening RollCall.com reported that House and Senate Democratic leaders were still struggling to find the votes to pass a nearly $200 billion tax extenders bill (HR 4213), which also includes the latest extension of eligibility cut-off dates for federal unemployment benefits (through year-end 2010).

In summary -- at press time this evening:

(1) House Democrats had still not figured out a way to bring the bill to successful floor vote, with defections piling up from legislators worried about the bill’s burgeoning cost or about the increasing tax provisions for hedge fund managers.

(2) Senate leaders are having similar problems rounding up the 60 votes that they would likely need to overcome a near-certain GOP-led filibuster. It's being reported that even those Republicans who have been sympathetic toward the bill in the past -- like Senators Olympia Snowe and Scott Brown -- are suffering a bit of "sticker shock" at the latest cost of the now amended bill.

(3) In a sort of "Catch-22" conundrum: House Democrats would like to have a better idea of what the Senate will accept -- but at the same time, numerous Senators said they would need to see what the House produces first.

(4) If action on the full bill is impossible, House Democrats have discussed passing another short-term extension of just the eligibility cut-off dates for the federal unemployment benefits -- which would almost certainly run into problems in the Senate.

(5) Such a temporary measure for federal unemployment benefits would be unlikely to be given the privileged status afforded the full bill, and could be filibustered. Senator Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) and other Republicans could again insist that any temporary extensions be offset -- and that fight with Democrats and a handful of Republicans who disagree could continue into the weekend.

For the full article and more details:
Democrats Struggle to Finish Up Extenders - Roll Call

Last edited by diorgirl; 05-25-2010 at 11:14 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 11:01 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,662,568 times
Our Government is broken! Vote them all out! I cant believe all the millionaire politicians whining like babies still over this bill that is what 6 months old now! There is a ZERO percent chance there will be any added weeks if there is this much trouble with this bill.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:03 PM

217 posts, read 555,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post

Thank you for contacting me regarding unemployment and COBRA benefit extensions. I appreciate hearing from you and am glad to have the opportunity to respond.
I will continue to support a temporary extension of unemployment insurance and COBRA benefits, provided that the cost is offset. I empathize with the Georgians and all Americans who are out of work in these tough economic times, but I also feel it is a dangerous precedent for our nation's economic stability to continue to extend these benefits with borrowed money.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please visit my webpage at Johnny Isakson, US Senator
for more information on the issues important to you and to sign up for my e-newsletter

Sincerely,
Johnny Isakson
United States Senator

What a beeyatch. I was a little buzzed when I read this so I sent him an email that was flat out rude. If anyone has seen my recent posts I have friends who are 99ers and have nothing. I basically sent him a rude email asking him to be considerate and look into a Tier 5. I told him if he was a real American he wouldnt worry about the cost of this bill because its nothing compared to the bailouts of corporations and countries we seem to support. I also called him a fraudulent rep. of the people. I know it isnt the best way to get your point across, but after a night out of drinking I have no reason to be nice to that D bag. Especially after that response 'LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA' got. What a dick head resonse. That was basically a politically correct FU. What an ass. Sorry if my spelling is off....Im a bit buzzed...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment