Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 10:05 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,500,711 times

Advertisements

... then what are my options at this point?

There's the theory that graduating in a recession reduces one's lifetime earning potential because starting salaries are severely hampered by an economic downturn.. and all future raises are usually based on one's past earnings.

I, being unlucky to graduate at such a time, am considering these options. Here are my thoughts (which may or may NOT be entirely correct):

1) More graduate school (PhD?) I already have 2 Masters degrees.. in fact, I originally enrolled in a PhD program straight out of college but discovered the hard way that I disliked doing research very much.. not surprisingly, the dept saw thru my level of enthusiasm and failed my qualifying exams.. and I left with my 1st MS. Sure, going back for a PhD and doing research might sound like torture but it's a lesser evil compared to struggling with this fiasco of a job market.

2) Work minimum wage until the job market improves in my field (Finance). Forget finding an entry-level job right now because even if I land one despite the odds, I'll likely be shortchanged... and when the economy improves, the new graduates entering these entry-level positions will likely be offered higher starting salaries despite my few years of experience at that point.

3) Teach English overseas. I've always wanted to travel but I really don't have the money to at this point (or the means of getting a job to save up the money, as I discussed earlier.) This is more of a personal preference since I enjoy learning about new cultures and interacting with people from a vastly different background.

4) Or just continue struggling, networking, sending 100s of applications every month, hoping to land a job within a year..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,756,047 times
#4 is best option.

What are your 2 Master's degrees in?

I graduated in Dec 1992 - Gen X era - bad economy and it took me 1 year to get my first job through the Alumni Office at $10 / hr.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Physics ('07) and Finance ('09)

Old 11-26-2009, 10:15 AM

784 posts, read 2,731,642 times
What school for Finance? What do you want to do? PE? VC? IB? Ops? Finance is hiring now, if you know someone or went to a top school you could definitely get interviews.

Some of my friends in Finance have gotten more interviews in the past 2-3 weeks than they did from 2008-August 2009.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
What school for Finance? What do you want to do? PE? VC? IB? Ops? Finance is hiring now, if you know someone or went to a top school you could definitely get interviews.

Some of my friends in Finance have gotten more interviews in the past 2-3 weeks than they did from 2008-August 2009.
No to both.. I guess that's the main problem here and I do not see any feasible way of solving it, at least not right away..

Btw, I've gotten interviews, almost all after Aug '09.. none have led to an offer..

My main area of interest in Finance is trading (front office or back office).. though I'm open to anything at this point..

Old 11-26-2009, 12:50 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,682,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
... then what are my options at this point?

There's the theory that graduating in a recession reduces one's lifetime earning potential because starting salaries are severely hampered by an economic downturn.. and all future raises are usually based on one's past earnings.

I, being unlucky to graduate at such a time, am considering these options. Here are my thoughts (which may or may NOT be entirely correct):

1) More graduate school (PhD?) I already have 2 Masters degrees.. in fact, I originally enrolled in a PhD program straight out of college but discovered the hard way that I disliked doing research very much.. not surprisingly, the dept saw thru my level of enthusiasm and failed my qualifying exams.. and I left with my 1st MS. Sure, going back for a PhD and doing research might sound like torture but it's a lesser evil compared to struggling with this fiasco of a job market.

2) Work minimum wage until the job market improves in my field (Finance). Forget finding an entry-level job right now because even if I land one despite the odds, I'll likely be shortchanged... and when the economy improves, the new graduates entering these entry-level positions will likely be offered higher starting salaries despite my few years of experience at that point.

3) Teach English overseas. I've always wanted to travel but I really don't have the money to at this point (or the means of getting a job to save up the money, as I discussed earlier.) This is more of a personal preference since I enjoy learning about new cultures and interacting with people from a vastly different background.

4) Or just continue struggling, networking, sending 100s of applications every month, hoping to land a job within a year..
Well just from a pure money prospective, the lost wages from forgoing work to get a better salary are going to be more than the loss of salary from lower entry level salary and lower gross raises.

For instance is you expect make 55000 and only get 50000, that will cost you $42,000(if you get a 4 percent raise every year and a 10 percent raise every 5 years(for promotions), I think that is very generous, it also assumes you will never be unemployed for the entirety of your career(I used 45 years), I think a more realistic number is somewhere around 30-35k). If you work minimum wage or do something else you will likely lose that much money in a year or year and a half.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:17 PM

784 posts, read 2,731,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
No to both.. I guess that's the main problem here and I do not see any feasible way of solving it, at least not right away..

Btw, I've gotten interviews, almost all after Aug '09.. none have led to an offer..

My main area of interest in Finance is trading (front office or back office).. though I'm open to anything at this point..
Every 23 year old kid and their baby brother wants to do front office trading, these guys only recruit from the elite schools, or if you have some exceptional quant skills.

My suggestion is to get into the back office in a boutique, be the absolute best in your department, and then hope one of the MD's notices.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:43 PM

105 posts, read 170,929 times
You don't need to be in big company to manage money.
Look here
PAMM-account Rating. Forex with Alpari
Also, read the book
Quantitative Trading: How to Build Your Own Algorithmic Trading Business by Ernie Chan
This doesn't teach you how to trade, but gives you some ideas about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment