Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 AM

600 posts, read 1,074,455 times

Advertisements

Concerning the lastest EUC (Tier 3) law.

People, it's very simple. Whatever Tier you are in, as long as it exhausts before or during the week of Dec. 20th, you will be able to move on to the next Tier, which would extend to 2010.

When calculating weeks, THEY DO NOT LOOK AT THE DATE AT THE END OF THE WEEK! THEY LOOK AT SUNDAY'S DATE, WHICH IS THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEK!

I've been reading a lot on this forum about people saying you had to exhaust your current Tier/claim by Dec. 19th, etc. That is ABSOLUTELY FALSE!

I've spoken with officials at the Ga DOL today, once again to confirm my original belief and it's very plain and simple:

Tier 1: In order to qualify for Tier 1, you have to apply by the week of Dec 20th.

Tier 2: In order to qualify, individuals must qualify for and exhaust 1st Tier EUC benefits prior to or during the claim week of December 20-26, 2009 in order to qualify for 2nd Tier EUC benefits.

Tier 3: Third-Tier Emergency Unemployment Compensation (3rd Tier EUC) provides up to 13 weeks of additional benefits to individuals who have exhausted 2ndTier EUC benefits and cannot establish a new regular unemployment insurance (UI) claim. Individuals must qualify for and exhaust 2nd Tier EUC benefits prior to or during the claim week of December 20-26, 2009 in order to qualify for 3rd Tier EUC benefits.

I really don't understand how a select few here can misinterpret something so simple, then come here and spread their confusion to the masses. It gets really aggravating coming here and seeing people not reading and comprehending and then spreading their misinformation as fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:16 AM

189 posts, read 647,708 times
a little off on your info

Old 12-09-2009, 07:19 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,889 times
People don't want to read or do research. They want immediate answers so they post a question. In their defense, they may not know how to research it or understand much about how unemployment works (I'm not much better). But I would agree that we don't need a bunch of threads about the same thing, or people asking the same question in different ways over and over. As for your explanation, this goes for all the states?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post
a little off on your info
Ok. Tell me how I'm off, because I'm quoting directly from a state government site. It's not my opinion of what it says.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
People don't want to read or do research. They want immediate answers so they post a question. In their defense, they may not know how to research it or understand much about how unemployment works (I'm not much better). But I would agree that we don't need a bunch of threads about the same thing, or people asking the same question in different ways over and over. As for your explanation, this goes for all the states?
I don't know if it goes for all states, but I know that the information I listed above is directly for the Georgia DOL's website.

I would think if it's a federal law, then all states would follow it the same way.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:26 AM

Here ya go guys and gals:

New York State Department of Labor - UI Benefits Calculator

This is a calculator that will show you what you're eligible for (the way New York calculates it is the same way Georgia and any other state will). What you do is put in the date in which you filed your original unemployment claim. For instance, I filed mine on Nov 3rd, 2008. According to this calculator, I am eligible up to 73 weeks of UI (including the Tier 1, 2 and 3 EUC). Here is what my results were:

26 weeks of regular UI
20 weeks of EUC-Tier 1
13 weeks of EUC-Tier 2
14 weeks of EUC (13 weeks Tier 3 and 1 week Tier 2)

73 weeks total
If I had filed the week of Nov 16, 2008, I would only be eligible for 60 weeks.

I hope this helps answer some of you guys/gals questions. While I appreciate that folks are here trying to help others with questions and provide information, what I'm learning is, most folks here don't know what they are talking about and all it takes is a few minutes of research and you can find real answers.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
I really don't understand how a select few here can misinterpret something so simple, then come here and spread their confusion to the masses. It gets really aggravating coming here and seeing people not reading and comprehending and then spreading their misinformation as fact.
To respond to your comment, I acknowledge that in my case I did misrepresent the cut-off application dates in another thread, but I did so having previously confirmed that information with the NJ DOL -- which subsequently changed its position.

Originally, NJ -- and many other states -- assigned the same eligibility cut-off for Tiers II, III, and IV, that they had for Tier I.

I checked with NJ's DOL this morning, who now advises me that they have changed the eligibility for Tiers II, III, and IV. An excerpt from their website now reflects their revised cut-off dates:

• EUC Tier 1 provides up to 20 weeks or 80% of an individual’s maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. Due to the December 31, 2009 expiration date of the EUC program, the last week the first EUC Tier 1 claim is December 20, 2009.

• EUC Tier 2 provides up to 14 weeks or 54% of an individual’s maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. An individual must exhaust EUC Tier 1 benefits in order to receive EUC Tier 2 benefits. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 1 claim by benefit week ending December 26, 2009 (this is one week later than EUC Tier 1), in order to be eligible for EUC Tier 2 before the December 31, 2009 expiration date of the EUC program.

• EUC Tier 3 provides up to 13 weeks or 50% of an individual’s maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 2 claim by benefit week ending December 26, 2009, in order to be eligible for EUC Tier 3 before the December 31, 2009 expiration date of the EUC program.

• EUC Tier 4 provides up to 6 weeks or 24% of an individual’s maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 3 benefits in order to receive EUC Tier 4 benefits. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 3 claim by benefit week ending December 26, 2009, in order to be eligible for EUC Tier 4.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions (http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/UIExtendedBenefitProgram.html - broken link)

I apologize for the error in my previous post, which was based on information received directly from the NJ DOL -- but subsequently changed without my knowledge. A good lesson to double check everything on your state's respective DOL website or speak with a local UI rep -- even things one may have previously confirmed with authorities.

If you review my history of posts on the subject of UI extensions, you will see that I generally provide a source for all information I post. So I share your frustration about "experts" making comments with no documentation to support the information they are posting -- and I deeply regret that this error occurred when I failed to double check the NJ DOL.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
To respond to your comment, I acknowledge that in my case I did misrepresent the cut-off application dates in another thread, but I did so having previously confirmed that information with the NJ DOL -- which subsequently changed its position.

Originally, NJ -- and many other states -- assigned the same eligibility cut-off for Tiers II, III, and IV, that they had for Tier I.

I checked with NJ's DOL this morning, who now advises me that they have changed the eligibility for Tiers II, III, and IV. An excerpt from their website now reflects their revised cut-off dates:

• EUC Tier 1 provides up to 20 weeks or 80% of an individual’s maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. Due to the December 31, 2009 expiration date of the EUC program, the last week the first EUC Tier 1 claim is December 20, 2009.

• EUC Tier 2 provides up to 14 weeks or 54% of an individual’s maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. An individual must exhaust EUC Tier 1 benefits in order to receive EUC Tier 2 benefits. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 1 claim by benefit week ending December 26, 2009 (this is one week later than EUC Tier 1), in order to be eligible for EUC Tier 2 before the December 31, 2009 expiration date of the EUC program.

• EUC Tier 3 provides up to 13 weeks or 50% of an individual’s maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 2 claim by benefit week ending December 26, 2009, in order to be eligible for EUC Tier 3 before the December 31, 2009 expiration date of the EUC program.

• EUC Tier 4 provides up to 6 weeks or 24% of an individual’s maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 3 benefits in order to receive EUC Tier 4 benefits. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 3 claim by benefit week ending December 26, 2009, in order to be eligible for EUC Tier 4.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions (http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/UIExtendedBenefitProgram.html - broken link)

I apologize for the error in my previous post, which was based on information received directly from the NJ DOL -- but subsequently changed without my knowledge. A good lesson to double check everything on your state's respective DOL website or speak with a local UI rep -- even things one may have previously confirmed with authorities.

If you review my history of posts on the subject of UI extensions, you will see that I generally provide a source for all information I post. So I share your frustration about "experts" making comments with no documentation to support the information they are posting -- and I deeply regret that this error occurred when I failed to double check the NJ DOL.
No need to apologize. I really wasn't pointing out 1 individual more than just pointing out to a myriad of posts I've seen over the past few months, that after awhile, just makes me wanna jump up and scream STOP THE INSANITY!

I think the problem is people are so stressed (I know I am, can you tell by the original post?) because of our down economy and they're just seeking answer or providing help, but sometimes it only takes one bit of misinformation (not saying purposefully done) to cause an uproar.

I hope that the link I provided above, to New York's benefit calculator, will help settle some of the questions that folks have regarding if/when they will get another Tier of EUC or not.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,173 times
Quote:
I hope that the link I provided above, to New York's benefit calculator, will help settle some of the questions that folks have regarding if/when they will get another Tier of EUC or not.
NY's calculator is great -- but does not necessarily reflect the situation in all states.

In fact, there are some variations in the ways states administer the federal law, so I have always suggested that people check the DOL website for their own state -- and/or speak with a local UI rep -- to verify their individual situation.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM

189 posts, read 647,708 times
Quote:
Ok. Tell me how I'm off, because I'm quoting directly from a state government site. It's not my opinion of what it says.

Tier 3 (13 weeks) – to be eligible for Emergency Benefits under Tier 3, an individual must:

Have filed initial claim for regular unemployment effective on or before Monday, November 3, 2008.
Exhaust at least 33 weeks of Emergency Benefits (20 weeks Tier 1 and the first 13 weeks of Tier 2) on or before week ending December 27, 2009.
you cant just finish tier 2 then get tier 3 as it stands you must have filled on or before nov 3 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment