Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 10:40 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,716 times

Advertisements

worse case scenario, you were laid off from a job you had been at for several years and have been collecting unemployment. you find a new job that you think you can do. once on the job its clear that your performance isnt up to where it should be and the employer fires you. can you then go back to unemployment?

i talked to the unemployment office and they said TYPICALLY youre only denied unemployment for non-performance related issues, which means they cant guarantee it

has anyone been denied under these circumstances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 12:01 PM

563 posts, read 1,711,217 times
I think it depends on how benefits are calculated in your state. So for example...if you were on unemployment for 6 months, then worked the new job for six months and got fired...you may not even be eligible because you didn't work long enough at the new employer and you had exhausted your benefits from the previous one. So it's hard to say.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 PM

53 posts, read 122,414 times
If you failed a drug test or stole or were fired with malice, you will be denied. Otherwise yo should be able to go back on your old claim, assuming you don't have to file for a new benefit year. If you do, your wages while employed with your new employer may factor your benefit pay or weeks...

Old 12-14-2009, 02:49 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
you may not even be eligible because you didn't work long enough at the new employer and you had exhausted your benefits from the previous one. So it's hard to say.
yikes, i didnt even think of that

Old 12-14-2009, 05:30 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
yikes, i didnt even think of tha

Keep in mind, sweethearttx's scenario assumes that you used up all of your benefit year's money before you took the second job. If you received four months of benefits and then took a second job, there are still two months of benefits available within your benefit year.

Or if you held the second job for long enough that a new claim would be on a new benefit year, then you would be eligible for another six months of benefits.

Last edited by kodaka; 12-14-2009 at 05:42 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 02:36 PM

6 posts, read 46,532 times
curious....Laid-off, collecting unemployment for about 9.5 months...everything is dandy as dandy can get while unemployed --SUCKS!!!

Anyway, thought I found a "NEW" job - inside sales....1st week on the job [I knew it wasn't going to work from day one. I was desparate and needed a job. However, I wanted to stick it out and give it a chance!] and apparently they thought the same thing.

They ended up letting me go at the end of the 1st week of training!It is a Blessing in disguise, but wonder how this is going to affect my current unemployment claim?

I don't have to call in for another work. Since I am in Illinois, how will this affect my current claim? After all I was only there for a week....clueless and would love some advise! What should I do? Anyone, I was trying to find posts similar to my situation. Thanks!

Last edited by sharpie1; 02-28-2010 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment