Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:31 AM

11 posts, read 24,464 times

Advertisements

This is my first posting...sorry in advance if starting a new thread isn't the correct protocol. I am on Tier II which, based on the 13 week formula, is set to expire 1/16/09, my balance is listed will be O at that time. I thought a 14th week was added to this tier yet I can't get any info anywhere - including the unemployment call center. In NJ is this added to Tier III? If not, where is it added? Thanks for your help regarding question as well as all of the valuable info I have viewed in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:53 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,489,908 times
There are 14 weeks in Tier II. The additional week of EUC Tier 2 benefits is not payable for weeks prior to November 8, 2009. Your balance should reflect that.

EUC Tier 2 Details

Old 01-12-2010, 11:28 AM

I don't think I am explaining correctly...perhaps if I use the following breakdown, it may clarify. If not, I am obviously missing something which is probably true!

Opened my claim 1/08 - received:
26 weeks
20 weeks
4 weeks of Tier II (was fortunately to get 9 weeks freelance work)
Tier II was reinstated week of November 13, 2009

Based on the above formula doesn't that mean that I do qualify? I also have a friend whose last week of Tier II is this week and her balance is 0 as well and she has not worked at all since she was laid off. I can understand the possible confusion on my claim based on the weeks I worked but not her situation. Thanks so much -- I didn't even know about the November 8, 2009 qualifier!

As i mentioned I did contact unemployment and, after waiting 1 hour, spoke with a woman who had no idea what I was talking about and told me that there was no one there who could answer my question

Old 01-12-2010, 12:17 PM

I think you explained it fine.
Being that NJ currently says you must exhaust Tier II before claiming Tier III, it would be logical to think that the 14th week of Tier II is already part of your claim balance. Maybe not?

This may sound stupid but I'll speculate that maybe they will add in the 14th week after payment of the 13th week brings the balance to zero. This sounds retarded, but we ARE in NJ.

For those of us who were sucking wind for ten weeks after exhausting EB and before Tier III started,
  1. they added in the 14th week of Tier II
  2. the payment was made
  3. the balance was zero again
  4. they added in 13 weeks of Tier III

I still can't believe how slow the NJDOL is at updating their website. Too many of us unemployed in NJ who could easily do it. We're the "online State"? Gimme a break!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 PM

So scary but I absolutely believe that what you said is true...they are so literal and the bureaucats are so afraid they are doing the wrong thing they prefer to do nothing!!!

I can't believe I am complaining about one week when you and others had to wait for 10 --so sorry!

If I can ask you to explain one more thing....you mentioned you exhausted EB. Based on this statement maybe what I am calling Tier II isn't really Tier II after all.

I thought there were three levels of EUC - Tier I - 20 weeks, Tier II - 13 + 1 week and Tier III - 19 weeks - or 20 weeks followed by EB which equals 20 weeks total as long as the unemployment figures are at least 6.0 for three months. So....was there a time that people were getting EB and then went back to EUC? Now I am totally confused and I really thought I was on top of it..not!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:31 PM

If you read my post here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/12399331-post5352.html
you will see 3 different scenarios of receiving benefits depending on where you were at the time the November legislation was passed.

Looking at the following you should be able to determine your current tier.
  1. Initial Benefits - up to 26 weeks
  2. EUC Tier I - up to 20 weeks
  3. EUC Tier II - up to 14 weeks
  4. EUC Tier III - up to 13 weeks
  5. EUC Tier IV - up to 6 weeks
  6. Extended Benefits (EB) - Extended benefits vary from state to state in length, eligibility criteria, and expiration date.
It's 99 weeks but not necessarily consecutive in some cases (like mine).

Last November in NJ when they added Tier III/IV, the people who were on EB were taken off of it and put on Tier III even though they had not finished EB.

Note: EB was the only "extension" where you were required to send in your job searches.

Last edited by wannabee; 01-12-2010 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: Added note.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:34 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,989,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I think you explained it fine.
Being that NJ currently says you must exhaust Tier II before claiming Tier III, it would be logical to think that the 14th week of Tier II is already part of your claim balance. Maybe not?

This may sound stupid but I'll speculate that maybe they will add in the 14th week after payment of the 13th week brings the balance to zero. This sounds retarded, but we ARE in NJ.

For those of us who were sucking wind for ten weeks after exhausting EB and before Tier III started,
  1. they added in the 14th week of Tier II
  2. the payment was made
  3. the balance was zero again
  4. they added in 13 weeks of Tier III

I still can't believe how slow the NJDOL is at updating their website. Too many of us unemployed in NJ who could easily do it. We're the "online State"? Gimme a break!
At this time, New Jersey is "bundling" week 14 of Tier II with the 13 weeks of Tier III.

When you complete the first 13 weeks of Tier II, the balance in your account will be "0".

At that time, you receive a notification of your eligibility for the next 14 weeks of EUC extensions -- the balance in your account then includes payment for week 14 of Tier II and the 13 weeks of Tier III.

And no, I haven't got the foggiest why NJ is doing it this way -- or whether they will change this method of administration in the future!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:40 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,989,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Last November in NJ when they added Tier III/IV, the people who were on EB were taken off of it and put on Tier III even though they had not finished EB.
Rule of thumb -- because the federal UI extensions (the EUC Tier system) have expiration dates and are 100% federally funded, most states pay the federal extensions before they pay state extensions.

Many of these states interrupted payment of state extensions to move people to the EUC Tiers last year when Tiers II and IV became available. In most cases, those whose state extensions were interrupted will be able to collect the payments remaining in those extensions after they exhaust all EUC extensions available.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:06 PM

Thank you for the update and clarification DiorGirl.

It may not be logical but it is what it is for now.

So the current breakdown of benefit determinations would be:

Initial Benefit Determination wbr x 26
Initial Benefits 26 weeks (balance goes to ZERO...)

EUC Tier I
Benefit Determination wbr x 20
EUC Tier I 20 weeks (balance goes to ZERO...)

EUC Tier II Benefit Determination wbr x 13
EUC Tier II 13 weeks of 14 weeks (balance goes to ZERO...)

EUC Tier III Benefit Determination wbr x 14
includes EUC Tier III 13 weeks + EUC Tier II 14th week. (balance goes to ZERO...) On the actual determination letter it does state Tier III & 14th week of Tier II.

EUC Tier IV 6 weeks
wbr x 6
EUC Tier IV 6 weeks

Extended Benefits (EB) wbr x 20
Extended benefits vary from state to state in length, eligibility criteria, and expiration date.

Diorgirl, I know what you mean with
Quote:
most states pay the federal extensions before they pay state extensions
It makes sense for a state to not use state funds unless they absolutely have to. Why some states decided to pay EB when Tier III became available makes NO sense.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Thank you so much..I finally get it!!! I think you should work at the unemployment office..you certainly know much more than the woman I spoke with!!!! Good luck with your job search...hopefully they will continue to support those of us who cannot find work despite our best efforts and, even better, jump start the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment