Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee021362 View Post
I think the cutoff date for moving on to the next tier or in your case moving from your 26 weeks of regular unemployment to the first tier is February 27, 2010. So at this point, if Washington does not extend the February date, you cannot move to tier 1. i would go down to your unemployment office and have them tell you exactly what Indiana's programs look like.
Not true. The cut-off date for moving from regular unemployment benefits (26 weeks) to Tier I has always been one week earlier than the cut-off dates for moving from Tier to Tier within the EUC Tier system.

The current cut-off date for completing regular benefits to move into Tier I is February 20, 2010. The cut-off date for moving from Tier I to Tier II, from Tier II to Tier III, and from Tier III to Tier IV is February 27, 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 9,076 times
Default Unemployment benefits

I just joined today and have been reading a lot here lately. I was looking at some of the questions concerning EB benefits. I live in Louisville. I was put on EB benefits in October, 2009. When I went for my review at the end of November, I was told that they were switching my benefits back to EUC. I am trying to find out why our EB benefits were not totally paid out. During my review, I was told that I would see an increase on my remaining benefits. That hasn't happened. In essence, I lost any EB benefits that were awarded by the Feds. Anyone have an opinion or input? Sure would be appreciated.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,973 times
A group of 30 senators signed a letter urging to extend emergency unemployment benefits through the end of 2010 instead of further short term extensions. so they are probably working on it now.

check the link: [url=http://washingtonindependent.com/74604/senate-dems-urge-10-month-extension-of-unemployment-benefits]Senate Dems Urge 10-Month Extension of Unemployment Benefits « The Washington Independent[/url]

Old 02-07-2010, 09:44 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djucsb805 View Post
A group of 30 senators signed a letter urging to extend emergency unemployment benefits through the end of 2010 instead of further short term extensions. so they are probably working on it now.

check the link: Senate Dems Urge 10-Month Extension of Unemployment Benefits « The Washington Independent

The article for which you provide the link is from January 22, 2010 -- and things have moved in a dramatically different direction since that time. The Democrats lost their "super majority" in the Senate with the election of Scott Brown (R-Ma). Accordingly, they have cut back significantly in their plans for extensions of UI and COBRA.

The most recent proposals include extending the cut-off date for the EUC Tiers to May 31, 2010, from February 28, 2010. There are currently no plans to add a Tier V, or to add weeks to the existing Tiers.

Majority Leader Reid had promised to have legislation reflecting that change to the Senate floor for discussion tomorrow (Monday). Over the weekend, he reneged, saying things are "still in discussion." In addition, it was reported today that government offices in DC would be closed tomorrow (Monday) due to the snow accumulation over the weekend -- so that's another day gone.

Most were hoping that Congress would get something on the President's desk for a signature before the February 28 cut-off date, but that will take some hustle -- Congress takes a week-long recess for President's Day in about another week.

For most current updates, you can refer to another thread here: Prospects for Unemployment & COBRA Extensions at http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...nsions-24.html

Here is a post from that thread with an update from NELP last week:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Note that the extension of the EUC Tier program in the NELP update below is an extension of the cut-off dates for the existing EUC Tiers. It does not include a Tier V or additional weeks for existing Tiers.

Friends - we have a lot to report this week, as there is action on many fronts, most of it very positive.

The Extension Heats Up

First and foremost, the Senate is ready to introduce a bill that would extend the federal UI programs (EUC, EB and the extra $25 per week) and the COBRA subsidy through the end of May. We are disappointed that it's not a longer extension and are not going to stop calling for the program to be extended through the end of the year, but this is good news in the short term because it keeps the programs up and running, and guards against 1.2 million people losing their benefits in March alone. The new NELP analysis, released on Thursday, shows that almost 10 million workers will prematurely lose out on their federal benefits if the program is not extended through the year.

Senate leadership is hoping to get the bill to the Senate floor next week, have an expedited debate, and pass it in enough time to get it over the House of Representative so that both Chambers of Congress can pass it before they recess on February 12. This will ensure that the state unemployment offices keep the programs up and running without any interruption.

The Actions You Can Take

We want to make sure that no procedural games or delaying tactics slow down the passage of this bill. Those in favor of the bill need to know that they cannot let anything derail it, and those who are not supportive need to know that NOW is not the time for games or delaying - this bill must pass. Therefore, EVERY Senator needs to hear from his or her constituents one way or another. Make your voice heard by participating in our Action Alert here. Please share this action alert widely with your friends, family and other networks of people concerned with the plight of the unemployed.

The Message: Your Senators need to know:
1. It remains important to extend UI and COBRA through the end of 2010 because we all know that unemployment will remain high throughout the rest of the year;
2. While this bill doesn't go far enough, at least it keeps the programs up and running - they MUST pass this next week, in time for the House to do the same. You will not accept any procedural maneuvers or games from either party that result in any failure to pass this Bill in a timely fashion;
3. There is NO BETTER economic stimulus for the communities in which you live and that the benefits you receive and spend will both save and create jobs.

Day of Action - next Wednesday, February 10th:
In addition to using the link provided above, we are working closely with the Jobs for American Now coalition, Jobs for America Now › www.Jobs4AmericaNow.org , to organize a National Day of Action to call for a year-long extension of UI and COBRA. We will be posting information on this website and sending you an email with all the information you need to take part in that Day of Action. The over 60 member organization will be working to mobilize unemployed workers and constituencies from around the country and we hope the over 20,000 of you who are members of this website will lend your voices to the campaign.

ADDITIONAL RELEVANT INFORMATION:

The President's Budget
In other news, on Monday, the Obama Administration released its proposed budget (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2011/assets/lab.pdf - broken link) for Fiscal Year 2011 (October 1, 2010 - September 31, 2011). In that budget, close to $50 billion million is allocated for UI benefits extensions, and also allocated funds necessary to cover the 15-month COBRA subsidy for workers who lost their jobs prior to January 1, 2011 http://www.treas.gov/offices/tax-policy/library/greenbk10.pdf (broken link) . Although the funding for the extensions should have been greater for the measure to last through the end of the year, the President's budget signals This signals strong support for unemployed workers and the extension from the Administration and now puts the burden on Congress to do the right thing.

New Housing Legislation
Senator Bob Casey (D-PA) is also working hard on behalf of unemployed workers. He introduced the Homeowners' Relief and Neighborhood Stabilization Act, which would provide $3 billion in loans for the unemployed and underemployed who are struggling to keep up with their mortgage payments. You can find out more about this bill by clicking here

New Debit Card Protections
Finally, many people have begun receiving UI benefits via a prepaid debit card over the last year or so. In general, NELP believes that this is a good option for many workers, especially those who do not have bank accounts, but that workers should be given a choice of whether to get benefits via check, direct deposit, or debit card, and if the debit cards are used by states, then they need to contain adequate consumer protections to make sure that the banks issuing the cards don't charge unfair fees for the services offered. We have partnered with a few other organizations to help design a bill introduced by Congressman Sander Levin (D-MI), H.R. 4522, The Benefit Card Fairness Act), that would make sure these cards are used only voluntarily and would have adequate consumer protections. You can find the full text of the bill at this here .

Thanks for reading all the way to the end of this long email - we want to make sure we're keeping you fully apprised of what is happening in D.C. We will likely be posting additional daily updates through the end of next week, as well as sending out at least one or two more emails, so check back daily.

Your friends at unemployedworkers.org,

Andriette, Andy, Christine, Debbie, George, Judy, Maurice, Rick, and Tiphany

Old 02-26-2010, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,512 times
I live in NJ and I am at TierI which doesn't end until May 20. Will I move on to tier II or EB?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:20 AM

600 posts, read 1,074,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beji111 View Post
I live in NJ and I am at TierI which doesn't end until May 20. Will I move on to tier II or EB?
As of right now, no.

It's very simple. As of now, extensions expire as of February 28th, 2010. Whatever Tier you are in right now, you will be able finish, but after this Sunday, you will not be able to move on to another Tier until legislation is passed.

I'm not sure why this is hard for people to understand.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 AM

128 posts, read 219,294 times
Quote:
you think that sucks, my last call in date is monday which exhausts my initial funds, i would be eligible to move up to another tier but i'm not eligible for tier1 which i need

Old 02-26-2010, 07:30 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,528 times
Quote:
Your Tier would end the Saturday before you call-in (May 15). With the current deadline of 2/27, you would move to EB after Tier I. The deadline would have to be extended to the end of May for you to move to Tier II, and EB after that. Yes, they are talking abut a 30-day extension now but it's not long enough for you to move to the next Tier.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,405 times
I have completed my first 26 weeks of unemployment benefits in December 2009, then transitioned to the IL State Extended Benefits, which I have exhausted as of June 4, 2010. I was told by the Springfield, IL office that I completed tier 1 and to continue to certify for benefits until congress passes the bill to extend benefits. If anyone knows, how long will these benefits be extended to? And there are individulas who I know have been drawing unemployment benefits for 2yrs. now. What is really going on?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:31 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UIC Alumni2004 View Post
I have completed my first 26 weeks of unemployment benefits in December 2009, then transitioned to the IL State Extended Benefits, which I have exhausted as of June 4, 2010. I was told by the Springfield, IL office that I completed tier 1 and to continue to certify for benefits until congress passes the bill to extend benefits. If anyone knows, how long will these benefits be extended to? And there are individulas who I know have been drawing unemployment benefits for 2yrs. now. What is really going on?
See here (copy and paste)
www.ides.state.il.us/pdf/news/99weeks.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment