Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:36 AM

407 posts, read 660,927 times

Advertisements

With the new bill congress is expected to pass later this month--- extending the current extensions and COBRA help until the end of 2010---- what is the likelihood that a TIER 5 program will be introduced with this new bill or later in the spring?

I am not at that point yet (keeping fingers crossed) but the issue of long term unemployment has to be addressed eventually I would assume? That is a huge voting block that the congress wouldnt want to alienate with the mid term elections coming up.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 07:02 AM

6 posts, read 55,134 times
To everyone seeking a Tier 5: I read yesterday (March 5th 2010) a few people have contacted Reids office and they were all told that Reid is working on a Tier 5 extension but they don`t know when it will go to congress. Someone else called Pelosi`s office and they were told there is no more extensions (tier 5) because not enough people are complaining about it.... EMAIL or CALL your state senators, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi and demand a Tier 5 extension. I have contacted them all this week via email. Posting on the net is great but it won`t do a thing unless you are contacting these elected officials as well, if Pelosi`s office "needs" complaints then let the flood gates open and send them to her.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 22,377 times
I'm going to keep looking for email addresses but I, for one, am going to email all of the above mentioned officials plus a few more. We need Tier 5 desperately.
there are no jobs to even apply for much less get.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:40 AM

6 posts, read 55,134 times
I agree I send out countless number of resumes a week, I have even applied to Home Depot knowing I'd probably only make minimum wage there and still NO luck w/a job, I have a degree and experience and still NO luck with a job. The companies I contact a second and third time are the only ones who tell me they are overwhelmed with applications/resumes. The other companies don't even reply back. I'm so sick of hearing about health insurance bill when so many people are in dire straights due to no jobs.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:47 PM

407 posts, read 660,927 times
YES i know what u mean

ALSO the whole situation is confusing as heck!

I mean if i KNEW BEFORE HAND that these extensions would be in place and if i knew id qualify then i would have gone back to school

BUTT since esc couldnt tell me anything until i phased out of 1 tier and into another, then i couldnt plan ahead

i know its no ones fault, just a mess of a system right now

and i really hope that the govt passes tier 5 or tier 6 or whatever they can in order to help others

i am in a better boat than most, i am BARELY getting by... but i still am, and thank god my spouse still works

i know several people who have lost their homes, cars, and more and its a real shame

Old 03-11-2010, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 18,108 times
Someone list Harry Reeds and Nancy's email adress so we can start to email them. We did it last time with T-4. if everyone get's to it and not just think about it we could make T-5 happen.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:38 AM

14 posts, read 29,444 times
i called reid's office on 3/11/10 his aide said there is no tier 5 bill being worked on!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 17,111 times
If a tier 5 is not enacted, the result will be a spike in the homeless numbers, not to mention a major drop in consumption. Since consumption is the cornerstone of the u.s. economy, it seems like a no-brainer. But after all, we are dealing with politicians here.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Maybe instead of demanding more unemployment checks, demand they follow through on creating those 5 million promised jobs.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:33 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,863 times
They can't create 50,000 jobs forget 5 million.

Its all BS..so they make people think the unemployed can find employment..Republicans love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment