Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:39 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
With the new bill congress is expected to pass later this month--- extending the current extensions and COBRA help until the end of 2010---- what is the likelihood that a TIER 5 program will be introduced with this new bill or later in the spring?

I am not at that point yet (keeping fingers crossed) but the issue of long term unemployment has to be addressed eventually I would assume? That is a huge voting block that the congress wouldnt want to alienate with the mid term elections coming up.

Ideas?
That bill -- HR 4213 -- which is intended to extend the cut-off dates through year-end 2010, has been delayed in the House.

On Tuesday (March 16) Chairman of the House Ways & Means Committee Sander Levin (D-Mich) introduced a separate temporary bill to extend the cut-off dates of the EUC Tiers and other unemployment benefits through May 5, 2010; the same measure would extend the cut-off date for the COBRA premium subsidy through April 30, 2010.

You can read my full update at: http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...l#post13324975

Given the difficulty they are having getting the existing EUC Tiers extended to year-end 2010, it's not looking too hopeful for a Tier V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 PM

62 posts, read 143,488 times
from what I can understand, I am on Tier one, and will recieve my last payment for those benefits on May 1, 2010.so according to what was passed yesterday, does that mean i will be able to still recieve my Tier Two benefits?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
That bill -- HR 4213 -- which is intended to extend the cut-off dates through year-end 2010, has been delayed in the House.

On Tuesday (March 16) Chairman of the House Ways & Means Committee Sander Levin (D-Mich) introduced a separate temporary bill to extend the cut-off dates of the EUC Tiers and other unemployment benefits through May 5, 2010; the same measure would extend the cut-off date for the COBRA premium subsidy through April 30, 2010.

You can read my full update at: http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...l#post13324975

Given the difficulty they are having getting the existing EUC Tiers extended to year-end 2010, it's not looking too hopeful for a Tier V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by belliott17 View Post
from what I can understand, I am on Tier one, and will recieve my last payment for those benefits on May 1, 2010.so according to what was passed yesterday, does that mean i will be able to still recieve my Tier Two benefits?
Last night by unanimous vote, the House passed the bill providing the temporary 30-day extension of the cut-off dates of the EUC Tiers and the COBRA premium subsidy as described in an earlier post (copy above).

Entitled The Continuing Extension Act of 2010 (HR 4851), the bill now goes to the Senate for a final vote.

If the Senate passes HR 4851 and the President signs it into law, then you will be eligible to start Tier II when you exhaust Tier I.

Press Release :: House Votes to Extend Critical Unemployment, Health Benefits (http://waysandmeans.house.gov/press/PRArticle.aspx?NewsID=11072 - broken link)

Old 03-18-2010, 10:37 AM

3 posts, read 6,233 times
From Day 1 this has been a bunch of B.S!!!. The Amercian people do not need to suffer from washington's mistakes.. How many times do they need to sit here and vote on passing this through.. Why have they not given a tier 5 yet to people who need it now?.. It's not like I will ever reach to tier 5 im still on my 26 weeks but my end date is in mid may... And had no luck finding ANY JOBS!!!! And why do they keep saying there are jobs out there???? ive read and read through so many people's problems, of the same issue, there is no work!!! I send out resumes all day long...hmmmm nothing.. sorry to complain but ive never been out of work this long ever in my life... I feel for the one's that have been out of work longer. If there going to starve us then burn the BI*$H down!!!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 AM

62 posts, read 143,488 times
Quote:
Last night by unanimous vote, the House passed the bill providing the temporary 30-day extension of the cut-off dates of the EUC Tiers and the COBRA premium subsidy as described in an earlier post (copy above).

Entitled The Continuing Extension Act of 2010 (HR 4851), the bill now goes to the Senate for a final vote.

If the Senate passes HR 4851 and the President signs it into law, then you will be eligible to start Tier II when you exhaust Tier I.

Press Release :: House Votes to Extend Critical Unemployment, Health Benefits (http://waysandmeans.house.gov/press/PRArticle.aspx?NewsID=11072 - broken link)

oh ok. thanks. how long does it usually take to be finalized? as im sure you can understand, this money is very much needed and if i could have an additional 13 weeks, it could relieve a small bit of stress for atleast giving me more time to find a job, even though i havent been able to find one in almost a year! is there a high liklihood obama will sign it?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 AM

407 posts, read 660,986 times
Well the truth is that the JOBS Bill got pushed to the side for a short time because of the Health Care bill becoming top priority.... What most likely will happen is that once Health Care is passed or dies (in the next week) they will move back to the Jobs Bill. I SUSPECT (based on my own experiences) that they will pass the 30 day extension in order to be able to make it a BIG issue again in a few weeks and be able to use that to offset what happens with Health Care!

HOWEVER I am sure it will pass in the next few weeks and all extensions will stay through the end of 2010

AND AT THAT POINT
every single unemployed person needs to call 1. their congressman, 2. their senators, 3. harry reids office, 3. nancy pelosis office and 4. the white house switchboard

ONCE EACH EVERY DAY asking about Tier 5.

If they get enough calls they will act! This is a mid term election year and they realize that millions of unemployed Americans

DO VOTE! and they will not want that negative backlash in November. So pick up the phone and call!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 AM

407 posts, read 660,986 times
Quote:
is there a high liklihood obama will sign it?
Both parties support extending the extensions... neither party wants to be the one to kill a bill that will hurt the unemployed so I am 100% sure it will pass... it just got stalled due to health care....

Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
oh ok. thanks. how long does it usually take to be finalized? as im sure you can understand, this money is very much needed and if i could have an additional 13 weeks, it could relieve a small bit of stress for atleast giving me more time to find a job, even though i havent been able to find one in almost a year! is there a high liklihood obama will sign it?
There is really no pattern on these bills -- so it is nearly impossible to predict how long it will take the Senate to address it.

If/when the Senate passes the bill (provided the Senate makes no changes that would require the bill to go back to the House), the President will almost certainly sign it into law immediately.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 PM

84 posts, read 177,734 times
Quote:
There is really no pattern on these bills -- so it is nearly impossible to predict how long it will take the Senate to address it.

If/when the Senate passes the bill (provided the Senate makes no changes that would require the bill to go back to the House), the President will almost certainly sign it into law immediately.

Does it now seem like there is a LITTLE hope for a tier 5 (after todays stagnant job report)??

Old 03-18-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
Well the truth is that the JOBS Bill got pushed to the side for a short time because of the Health Care bill becoming top priority.... What most likely will happen is that once Health Care is passed or dies (in the next week) they will move back to the Jobs Bill. I SUSPECT (based on my own experiences) that they will pass the 30 day extension in order to be able to make it a BIG issue again in a few weeks and be able to use that to offset what happens with Health Care!
The jobs bill was passed yesterday -- HR 2847. The jobs bill had no unemployment benefits attached to it.

There are two bills currently proposed to extend the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers, the COBRA premium subsidy, and other unemployment benefits -- neither is a jobs bill:

HR 4213 -- The Tax Extenders Act -- has amendments to extend these unemployment benefits through year-end 2010. It was passed by the Senate and is currently under debate in the House over disagreement about sources of funding.

HR 4851 -- The Continuing Extensions Act of 2010 -- provides a stop-gap 30-day extension for these benefits for the unemployed. It was passed by the House and is awaiting a vote in the Senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment