Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 PM

18 posts, read 58,525 times

Advertisements

I just called unemployment, 2/17/10, for the last of my tier 3 checks and at the end they said I had a zero balance and that no other extensions were available at this time. Arent NJ residents suppose to get an additional 6 weeks of benefits because our unemployment rate is over 8.5%. Did anyone else get the same message when they called or do you know if we're getting the additional 6 weeks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 12:59 PM
MG!

7 posts, read 21,349 times
The good news is, Despite the high unemployment rate here and the ridiculous tax bills stacking up against us all, the Abbott Districts will continue to get their extra teacher hazardous duty compensation packets........I mean, Educational Assistance Funding Allocation.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:59 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,980,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grr629 View Post
I just called unemployment, 2/17/10, for the last of my tier 3 checks and at the end they said I had a zero balance and that no other extensions were available at this time. Arent NJ residents suppose to get an additional 6 weeks of benefits because our unemployment rate is over 8.5%. Did anyone else get the same message when they called or do you know if we're getting the additional 6 weeks?
New Jersey has triggered Tier IV, and it is paying that Tier to those who qualify. Per the NJ DOL website:

Quote:
EUC Tier 4 provides up to 6 weeks or 24% of an individual’s maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 3 benefits in order to receive EUC Tier 4 benefits. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 3 claim by benefit week ending February 27, 2010, in order to be eligible for EUC Tier 4. EUC Tier 4 is 100% federally funded. Under the new federal legislation, EUC Tier 4 is based on New Jersey averaging an 8.5% UI Trigger rate over a three-month period. It is not payable before November 8, 2009.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions

Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG! View Post
The good news is, Despite the high unemployment rate here and the ridiculous tax bills stacking up against us all, the Abbott Districts will continue to get their extra teacher hazardous duty compensation packets........I mean, Educational Assistance Funding Allocation.
This has nothing to do with the subject of this thread -- which is the Tier IV unemployment extension in New Jersey. If you want to get this info to people for whom it is relevant, start a thread about it in the appropriate forum.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 12,625 times
I dont think the question above was answered about tier 4. I also ended tier 3 before feb. 28th 2010. Its now Feb. 17th mine was done on the 13th and we are "not" being notified as to when to start collecting the last 6 weeks. N.J says no need to call you will be notified. Did anyone start collecting yet? Did anyone get a benefit letter for last 6 weeks so you know when to call in? If you get thru to NJ unemployment they tell you its done even when you explain you qualify according to info provided. They act like they know nothing about about last 6 weeks federally funded tier 4. Try getting thru to someone who knows is crazy. Recording always says " due to overwhellming amount of calls call back later:" When? You get the same message everytime. Maybe give some of us a job picking up the phones there? There must be some type of notification to start collecting tier 4 - do you agree?

Old 02-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimms View Post
I dont think the question above was answered about tier 4. I also ended tier 3 before feb. 28th 2010. Its now Feb. 17th mine was done on the 13th and we are "not" being notified as to when to start collecting the last 6 weeks. N.J says no need to call you will be notified. Did anyone start collecting yet? Did anyone get a benefit letter for last 6 weeks so you know when to call in? If you get thru to NJ unemployment they tell you its done even when you explain you qualify according to info provided. They act like they know nothing about about last 6 weeks federally funded tier 4. Try getting thru to someone who knows is crazy. Recording always says " due to overwhellming amount of calls call back later:" When? You get the same message everytime. Maybe give some of us a job picking up the phones there? There must be some type of notification to start collecting tier 4 - do you agree?
If you don't think the response was adequate, why don't you try responding specifically to the OP's question, rather than just venting about your experience.

In response to your rant:
(1) There is a system of notification in place -- but it requires a claimant's account balance be "0" before the determination process begins. That's because the law requires that the claimant exhaust the previous extension before being eligible for the next.

(2) If you have ever received a determination of benefits before or within a few days after you completed a level of UI in NJ, please do share -- that experience is exceedingly rare. If you call or visit your local UI office, you can get confirmation of your eligibility for the next level within about a week after you complete a level.

(3) You seem to be unaware of the fiscal conditions of New Jersey. State workers are already being furloughed one or more days a week. Fewer workers + record numbers of claimants + an increasingly complex system of federal UI extensions with changing cut-off dates = difficulties being as responsive as everyone would like.

(4) Incidentally, there are people in NJ who have begun collecting Tier IV -- and you will see postings from them if you take the time to scan a few threads about extended benefits.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:54 AM

18 posts, read 58,525 times
I tried calling the unemployment office but never get through. I'm a 58 year old blue collar worker and not exactly at the top of anyone's hiring list. I guess I just have to hope for the best. Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my original post.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:44 PM

315 posts, read 871,860 times
I just got my last ck today with the message - -BENIFETS EXHAUSTED- this was only tier 2 though. They tell me that I wont have to do a thing- - that within 10 days I should recieve a letter telling me if I qualify and they will take it from there. Yes ,you do have to wait until your balance is ZERO before you can make a move,as a poster already stated. So right now, with no work and a 0 balance ,Im very nervous- - -
- This is what I read off the web-site. Not that Im an idiot or dont understand, it,s more a matter of not trusting THIER competance >. Im going to the East Orange offices Monday morning ,Ill take a number like its a bakery, wait the 2 to 3 hours ,and then hope I can speak to someone who is knowledgable enough to explain the whole deal to me- hopefully without too heavy an accent.
I also am in my 50,s- laid off after 13 yrs, when the company decided to outsourse the assembly division to Korea.- I went to school for 6 weeks while on unemployment- NJ paid 4 grand for me to take courses at Frontline security in Newark-- I was duped. I thought that with all these certificates I earned ,I could walk into an airport or a hospital an get a job- -but appartantly you cant do that. You must work for frontline- so an airport or hospital cant even hire you, this security company has to- what a joke. They get paid - then they pay you after they take thier fee.
Its so out of my field anyway, but for 6 weeks at least I was out and about & learning new things- instead of dropping off resumes at Production companies all over North Jersey that arent hiring or in the process of moving down south or overseas- -
NJ seems doomed-
So far with the max unemployment, I make more being unemployed then what some of these places want to pay me- -its a sad situation indeed
Ill get back here with the results or any news on Monday night- -maybe it will help someone- who knows??

Last edited by tceffo; 02-18-2010 at 01:01 PM..

Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM

213 posts, read 770,477 times
FYI, my experience:

Today I filed my claim online for my last 2 weeks of Tier III. When I submitted it, part of the message read "Benefits Exhausted" and another part read "Our records indicate that you may be eligible for an extended benefit claim. A claim will be filed for you. You will be notified by mail of your eligibility and if you are eligible, the date on which you should next claim benefits. "

I moved out of NJ so my understanding is that both NJ and my state of residence have to meet the qualification of 8.5% or higher unemployment rate. I know NJ does, and according to the chart dated Nov 2009 that has been posted elsewhere and I believe circulated by NELP, my resident state does as well.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhnd View Post
FYI, my experience:

Today I filed my claim online for my last 2 weeks of Tier III. When I submitted it, part of the message read "Benefits Exhausted" and another part read "Our records indicate that you may be eligible for an extended benefit claim. A claim will be filed for you. You will be notified by mail of your eligibility and if you are eligible, the date on which you should next claim benefits. "

I moved out of NJ so my understanding is that both NJ and my state of residence have to meet the qualification of 8.5% or higher unemployment rate. I know NJ does, and according to the chart dated Nov 2009 that has been posted elsewhere and I believe circulated by NELP, my resident state does as well.
I have never seen that requirement. Do you have a source for the requirement that the state from which you are collecting and your state of residence both have to trigger an extension for a claimant to collect that extension? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment