Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 PM

105 posts, read 603,434 times

Advertisements

I left my position last year because my fiance was transfered out of the country to do a project for his company. I obviously went with him as the project was for 9 months. I had only been at my job for 5 months and left on good terms. I am back and actively seeking employment. I contacted unemployment and they encouraged me to apply even though I left voluntarily. Part of why I also left the position was that I did not feel I was cut out for this job. Unemployment said that if this position was not right for me, I could re-open my unemployment claim from my last job.

I would like to know if anyone has experience with a similar situation or can provide feedback on how I should handle this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 07:16 PM

17 posts, read 43,023 times
Your claim will have to be reviewed by an examiner. I don't know what they will say for your specific case. Here is the link for what they have on the website specific to quitting Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Requirements for Payment<br>Quit I would apply. You don't loose anything by applying, except for maybe five to ten minutes. But, regardless, good luck!

Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
If employment people said you could reopen a claim from your 'last job', that means the job you had prior to the one you voluntarily quit. Sounds like you might have a claim if you were laid off or fired from your last job and had been collecting unemployment from that. Let us know what happens.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,978,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful2 View Post
I left my position last year because my fiance was transfered out of the country to do a project for his company. I obviously went with him as the project was for 9 months. I had only been at my job for 5 months and left on good terms. I am back and actively seeking employment. I contacted unemployment and they encouraged me to apply even though I left voluntarily. Part of why I also left the position was that I did not feel I was cut out for this job. Unemployment said that if this position was not right for me, I could re-open my unemployment claim from my last job.

I would like to know if anyone has experience with a similar situation or can provide feedback on how I should handle this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedGuyX View Post
Your claim will have to be reviewed by an examiner. I don't know what they will say for your specific case. Here is the link for what they have on the website specific to quitting Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Requirements for Payment<br>Quit I would apply. You don't loose anything by applying, except for maybe five to ten minutes. But, regardless, good luck!
The UI agents you speak with on the telephone or at your local office do not have the authority to make a determination about a claim. They are supposed to direct anyone who inquires to file a claim. That claim is then officially reviewed by an examiner, as noted by ConfusedGuyX above.

No one here can tell you what that determination will be in a case like yours with so many factors in play. It's best to file a claim, and see how an examiner rules in your case.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:41 AM

105 posts, read 603,434 times
Thank-you all for your input! I appreciate it and know there are no guarantees (-:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment