Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:00 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,052,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssnooty2shus View Post
I have just exhausted Tier IV. Benefits. For those who do not know, these tiers do not provide unlimited benefits for most. My Tier IV only provided 3 payments at $125.00 per week. I have funds in Extended benefits but since some bright person in the system decided to give me those 3 payments I cannot receive extended benefits.
Tier IV was/is only 6 weeks of benefits, so seems like you got them all .

I don't know what state you are in, but collecting Tier IV should not exclude you for EB if your state offers it, and you have not already completely collected it on this claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 08:06 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,513,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Yea I got that one from a recruiter as well after I had just passed a year. I was like OK give me a break, Try looking out your window someday. While I have kind of picked up something for a while here(1099 work and kind of part time but pays nice hourly) it will probably keep me going for now, There really isn't anything to be had without knowing someone. My contract work came from my brotherinlaws company. I guess I can say Ive worked now in the last few months instead of it being over a year.
Hey oh, I know what you mean. I finally got a job as well. My best friend happened to be goods friends with someone who was a regional director for a company that was hiring locally. That regional director`s brother was the district manager for the exact territory that was hiring. So I went to 2 interviews and got the job. It`s half of what I used to make but at least it`s a job with benefits. I `m willing to relocate to move up with the company, it`s the only way I can get back to my oringinally sslary. After taxes and insurance it`s about what I get from unemployment. But at least it`s something and maybe in 2 yrs or so I can transfer and move up. The point is, I knew someone who knew someone.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
My best friend happened to be goods friends with someone who was a regional director for a company that was hiring locally. That regional director`s brother was the district manager for the exact territory that was hiring. .........The point is, I knew someone who knew someone.
Ditto - though not exactly - once I knew I was interviewing I did the"6 degrees of separation" thing. I asked everyone I knew if they knew of or about this hiring manager -- I mean everyone. Someone knew someone who knew someone etc. Although my contact was far from direct, knowing them by proxy and sliding them into the conversation at least let them know I was not a totally unknown factor. I did not lie --- in fact I told them I asked around and I mentioned that one of my friends knew someone they knew who spoke highly of them. I suppose this could make some employers uncomfortable & is a gamble,but in this instance it worked in my favor.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:16 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,662,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Hey oh, I know what you mean. I finally got a job as well. My best friend happened to be goods friends with someone who was a regional director for a company that was hiring locally. That regional director`s brother was the district manager for the exact territory that was hiring. So I went to 2 interviews and got the job. It`s half of what I used to make but at least it`s a job with benefits. I `m willing to relocate to move up with the company, it`s the only way I can get back to my oringinally sslary. After taxes and insurance it`s about what I get from unemployment. But at least it`s something and maybe in 2 yrs or so I can transfer and move up. The point is, I knew someone who knew someone.
Good to hear you got something spm I wish mine felt a little more permanent but at this point it MAY last till Aug. with a chance of being hired on.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:05 AM

139 posts, read 255,150 times
And people laughed when I joined the military at the age of 17 right out of High School. The same ones that said I was wasting my time and that I should get into college right away. The same ones that are screaming for ObamaBucks right now. Glad I made that early career decision and earned an early retirement and an easy shot at another career. Some of you ought to think about doing that maybe.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:11 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,662,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Van Down By The River View Post
And people laughed when I joined the military at the age of 17 right out of High School. The same ones that said I was wasting my time and that I should get into college right away. The same ones that are screaming for ObamaBucks right now. Glad I made that early career decision and earned an early retirement and an easy shot at another career. Some of you ought to think about doing that maybe.
Seems you have some hostilely held over from your teen years to me. I doubt many people here laughed at someone making a choice in their life's. Joining the military is far from a choice for everyone and if one did that they would have went through 2 wars they probably would have rather not been involved in.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Van Down By The River View Post
And aren't you glad you did it ?????? yrs ago & not now! A little empathy for your younger & older comrades who even with veterans preferences are having a very hard time, would be showing a bit of that team spirit - - - - but then - you got yours:

Jobless rate for recent military veterans rises - CNN.com

Old 05-02-2010, 11:29 AM

155 posts, read 339,555 times
max baucus is against tier 5 ,there is no way now.
if they pass the year long extension without a tier 5 amendment
its time to capitulate and surrender the fight for tier 5.
it is over
we have to find a way to make it on our own

think of the humans 20000 years ago,they learned how to survive in that brutal savagery,we have to learn to think like them.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Seems you have some hostilely held over from your teen years to me. I doubt many people here laughed at someone making a choice in their life's. Joining the military is far from a choice for everyone and if one did that they would have went through 2 wars they probably would have rather not been involved in.
After reading your recent posts I'd say you were the one with the "hostilely", maybe you have a right to be as I suppose it is hard not having a job. Best of luck to you. Obviously you are too young to remember how the military was viewed in the late 70's and early 80's, at least until we had Pres. Reagan(and later Pres. Bush) take control of things. My comments were aimed more to the left, the same ones putting their faith in Obama.
And it was 2 wars and 1 conflict(Panama Invasion), which I was honored to serve in. That's part of the job. But that's another story, another forum. Obviously the military is not for you, Mr. OhGreat, but I thought I would throw it out there for others to consider.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
And aren't you glad you did it ?????? yrs ago & not now! A little empathy for your younger & older comrades who even with veterans preferences are having a very hard time, would be showing a bit of that team spirit - - - - but then - you got yours:

Jobless rate for recent military veterans rises - CNN.com
Well, it's not like cnn discovered anything here. Jobs are down for everybody. cnn(clinton news network) will take any shot it can to put a bad spin on our military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment