Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:41 AM

17 posts, read 55,197 times

Advertisements

Received UI benefits back in 2008 and went as far as receiving EUC Tier 2 then starting working and did not collect the rest of my EUC tier 2. I worked for 8 months then was laid off due to lack of work. I started a new claim and just finished my regular UI benefits however when I called the re-employment center to see if I qualify for EUC benefits, the rep stated yes but my claim went back to the first UI claim of 2008 instead of 2010. Is this an error on their part or did i start receiving benefits from 2008 because I did not finish it. Am asking because there is a 300 dollar difference in the checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:50 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,526,323 times
Hope the $300 is in your favor on the 2008 claim.

Yes, old claim EUC benefits must be exhausted before later claim EUC benefits.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:29 PM

Thank-you for the reply. I was worried as to what I should do. I really dont want to end up owing the unemployment any money. I just wish they would be up front with people as to what will happen, when it will happen and why you are receiving this amount. Has anything like this ever happend to you?

Old 06-04-2011, 01:45 PM

No, I, personally, have not experienced this. I was laid off in Sept. 09 and that has been my one and only claim.

However, your situation has been reported numerous times on this board as many people work off and on while receiving benefits and those wages result in new claims. You will not end up owing any money. If there are unused EUC benefits from an earlier claim, you are entitled to them as long as EUC legislation is in place. Don't worry about it.

UI offices do a relatively poor job of communicating, so you are not alone in that experience, either. Thus, this board.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:20 PM

Once again, thank-you, for the information. Its very helpful. I hope you dont mind but I just have more questions. Since they have put me on the old claim of 2008 to exhaust my EUC benefits, my question now is what happens when I exhaust ALL of my EUC benefits through the old claim? Does it go back to the new claim I submitted in 2010? I'm sorry its just that this unemployment thing is so confusing to me.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If there are unused EUC benefits from an earlier claim, you are entitled to them as long as EUC legislation is in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyls14 View Post
Since they have put me on the old claim of 2008 to exhaust my EUC benefits, my question now is what happens when I exhaust ALL of my EUC benefits through the old claim? Does it go back to the new claim I submitted in 2010?
Eligibility for EUC tiers expires December 31, 2011. If you exhaust all your tier benefits from the 2008 claim before December 31, 2011, your state will place you on Tier I from your second claim which you are allowed to exhaust into 2012. Right now, last day for payment on any tiers is June 9, 2012. However, if Congress does not extend the EUC legislation at the end of this year, your benefits will end when you have exhausted whatever tier you are eligible for on December 31, 2011.

Given the resistance in DC to spend money, unless there is a budget cut somewhere or other give and take, do not count on any extensions of EUC into next year at this time. That said, given the not good employment numbers just announced and the probable unlikelihood of any real improvement in that area the rest of the year, Congress may need to do something.

Right now, however, the picture is very murky on further extensions. So, stay tuned.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:32 AM

39 posts, read 203,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyls14 View Post
Received UI benefits back in 2008 and went as far as receiving EUC Tier 2 then starting working and did not collect the rest of my EUC tier 2. I worked for 8 months then was laid off due to lack of work. I started a new claim and just finished my regular UI benefits however when I called the re-employment center to see if I qualify for EUC benefits, the rep stated yes but my claim went back to the first UI claim of 2008 instead of 2010. Is this an error on their part or did i start receiving benefits from 2008 because I did not finish it. Am asking because there is a 300 dollar difference in the checks.
I was in the same situation, except i have a difference of 605 every month. i was laid off in 2010, I finished my tier II this past march then NJ reviewed my claim and stated i had money left from a 2008 claim, the only benefit is that i was told i was pushed back to tier I. I've been struggling every month since, and I wasn't even notified by mail of the change until 2 weeks after it had been in place.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:47 AM

Hello again, well here's the latest information NJ re-employment center rep told me today. When I called to claim my benefits because for some reason my pin# was not working (due to the correct pin# went back to the pin# i had for the 2008 claim) she stated I was currently on my last payment of EUC Tier 4 and that I had exhausted all my extentions under 2008 however would NOT be able to collect EUC under the new claim because I had not exhausted my previous EUC for 2008. When I went to ask her why and how? She repeated again "sorry you currently do not have any more extentions" and disconnected the line. I really don't know what I will do since I was not expecting this at all. I mean, I've been looking for work every single day, sending resumes, going to department stores filing out applications and no such luck. With that said, as always I truly appreciate the information you have provided.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:01 PM

Hello,
I wish you the best of luck, I spoke to a rep today and was told that I was on my last payment for EUC Tier 4 which was a claim from 2008 and that I would not be able to collect extentions under the new claim, which I still don't know how I am not able to. So confused and frustrated. I would try and contact a rep as soon as possible to make sure you still have extentions left so you won't be in the same boat as I am.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 PM

39 posts, read 203,691 times
I would go to your local unemployment office and speak to someone directly as you will get different answers from people on the phone. This has always been effective for me when sorting out an issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment