Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:12 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
LivingDeadGirl: my own experiences - I've had premonitions several times in my life, mostly in regard to my own family. It works like this. I wake up one day, and as certain as you are about the past, I am that certain of the future event. It doesn't matter if I tell someone about it or not. It always occurs. So that is why I am more of the scientific mind set. It just has to have something to do with time bending in all directions. Maybe what we think of as psychic predictions are actually events that have already occurred.
That's kind of neat (unless it's bad stuff...). I also have things like that, and, I, too, like a scientific bent. I still think physics - at some point -- will find more information that can explain these things. Although, it doesn't mean that people won't be able to have psychic experiences or paranormal events, but it will give some explanations. I doubt if I'll be around when that happens, but it would be cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 06:44 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
That's kind of neat (unless it's bad stuff...). I also have things like that, and, I, too, like a scientific bent. I still think physics - at some point -- will find more information that can explain these things. Although, it doesn't mean that people won't be able to have psychic experiences or paranormal events, but it will give some explanations. I doubt if I'll be around when that happens, but it would be cool!

The bad stuff doesn't come to me like that. The bad stuff comes as some vague sort of thing and I get just slight impressions: ie: older man, grey hair, short, mechanical accident. So I, being human, may think it is so-and-so but low and behold, perhaps a few months later it is someone else in the family instead, but who answers to that description also. So it isn't like I can warn the specific person. I swear, it's like the ancient Roman or Greek gods messing with my head!

Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Want to read a book about psychic ability done by an MIT grad?
You Are Psychic! | Book by Pete A. Sanders Jr. - Simon & Schuster

I am also scientifically minded. My father was both a scientist and clairvoyant.

Time: past, preset, future; all occurring at the same 'time' would explain being able to tap into the future (and any time) as well as explain déjà vu. Modern humans view time as linear, but ancient humans (and the cultures that keep to old traditions and wisdom) view time as a circle. The circular view of time is more natural. Think of the seasons, the orbit of planets, and life in general. We are born, we live, we die....and for some, we are born again.

There is the collective consciousness, the Anima Mundi, or the Akashic Records.
One in the same? Perhaps.
What ever these may be could also explain a few things. Such as past lives. Maybe we don't reincarnate but are in some way or at some time made aware of lived lived by others for what ever reason.
The Anima Mundi and collective conscious may also be the source some can tap into that allows them to 'know' things.

I say that modern humans have been brainwashed of the old ways. This has us disconnected from the source, god, the Anima Mundi. I believe early hunters used instinct/intuition to find thier prey.
I say instinct because what we call instinct now, is more towards animals and what is innate within.
Because of the thinking mind of 'logic' (brainwashing), we no longer connect and recognize our instincts.
However, while still a minority, a significant number of people are aware of instinct, but we call it intuition.
I don't think all of our intuition comes from 'out there'. I think some of it is truly physical. Such as is with earthquake prediction.

I am a California native. Been in quite a few shakers, some big ones and some not so big. We know animals can sense an earthquake. Being that we are also animals, it would stand to reason that we too can feel one coming hours before it does.
There are subtle changes in the environment prior to an earthquake, but not so subtle that they can't be recognized.
I have an African Grey parrot. She is very talkative and loves to whistle songs and has a routine, 8am for about 90 minutes, 1pm for about 2.5 hours, and 7pm for about an hour. Being a parrot owner one has to be very aware of the routines and habits of thier birds, not eating, not singing, and anything ever so slightly out of the norm could indicate a serious health issue.
One day she was very quiet....very very quiet. I was a little worried but it was a cloudy day and all other aspects of her was ok. I figured if she was not singing tomorrow I would take her in to the vet.
Shortly after 5pm, we were rocked with a 5.6 quake. About an hour after the quake she started making noise, but only her soft cricket noises.
Something about the environment was different and it made my bird uneasy.
When I was fresh out of high school I moved to southern California. I had at that point in time been in three small giggly quakes. Nothing major, nothing fell or broke. But with those two experiences, my body, my subconscious, now knew what a quake feels like before during and after. So when I moved to LA and would be woken up by what felt like an earthquake but wasn't (nothing was swinging like things do after a shaker), and then to have a quake bigger than a 6.0 happen just a few hours later, it would appear that I had a premonition.
That happened to me three times when living down there and I figured it was psychic in nature since I had already experienced quite a few psychic moments.
But after the animal experiences I have had, I eventually put 2&2 together
(had an experience in high school, our riding instructor left the class a note to 'go to the gym because it was earthquake weather and the horses are acting funny' - 20 minutes after arriving at the gym, we got hit with a 5.7)

I think some of what we think are psychic senses are just normal and instinctual.
I can smell the weather. I called rain by 5pm on a hot sunny cloudless day at the start of work. My coworkers did not believe me, but sure enough, as I locked up at 5pm, the drops began to fall and they thought I was being psychic, maybe, but perhaps it's just super keen smelling faculties. And super keen not being really all that super, just more aware, connected, in touch - with what it was that the ancient humans took as just normal.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:13 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
OwlKaMyst, I agree a lot with what you've said. I've often told people that maybe those who have a higher sense of intuition are just those whose instincts were carried on by genetics. After all, in prehistoric days, if you could not "sense" a sabre-tooth tiger around the corner, you were a goner! I think those who survived were those with better instincts. And maybe after technology took hold, we reduced some of our use of those instincts.

A lot of our family are night owls. I -- kind of stretching here, but I've thought of it -- think that maybe we (genetically) came from a prehistoric line of people who were assigned to stay awake at night as the watch person. Most people would be sleeping, so that's probably also why most people are morning people. But those who had to stay up most of the night were those who naturally became night owls -- just my theory, as people would always question why I felt better at night and stayed up so late.

It is true with animals, too. They have very good senses. It is wise to watch them. I, too, have that weather thing, but then again, I was originally raised in a place that had wild extremes in weather, and I have a hunch I just learned to "feel" those differences that were constantly coming.

It's all very interesting. So, yes, I do think that intuition is not some metaphysical sensation, but rather an extension of our bodies, but it serves as a metaphysical phenomenon. I also think that some people are just born with more "intuition" or "psychic ability" because maybe it is inherited, or there is something with their body that allows them to be more perceptive.

I still think that down the road there will be more logical answers to this stuff. I don't mean to say that we are not spiritual/spirits also, but rather that we are a complicated species, and we just don't understand how we really are wired.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:35 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
I too, am a night owl. I also think that genetics makes up more of who we are than just physical appearance and health conditions.
My maternal grandmother investigates our family tree. I lived with her for three years and for two of those years I 'teased' her.
When ever she would return from the genealogy library I would ask, "Find anyone from the Mayflower?".
Why I picked that group of people (at that time) I had no clue. I could have said Columbus, George Washington, etc.
Was my picking of those people psychic? Or genetic, the 'memories' passed down through physical lineage?
The last time I teased my grandmother she had a reply other than 'no'. She had found 3 people from the Mayflower who we are of direct decent. John Alden and Priscilla Mullins are my Gggg...great-grandparents. And they would not be the only three. There would be 10 in all. Also in our tree even deeper are more religious rebels, the French Hugonauts. Both groups breaking away from the Church.
I attribute my 'think for yourself' and 'anti-religious' attitudes on my lineage.
Life and all its aspects and mysteries are all so interesting.... And more entertaining than most of what is on TV.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:31 PM

That is very cool! I'm glad you were fortunate to find out about your lineage!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Very interesting discussion and theory regarding we "night owls". I also love the night and have extrodinary night vision. I'm a great believer in genetics also and depending on where your ancestors came from, maybe it makes a difference in your natural inclinations. Eg: if you came from people who were constantly invaded, raped and pillaged, only the tough would have survived and would have the genetics of war-like fighting people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal