Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:07 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Thank you for your kind post and advice. I did not see your post until I finished my last one so forgive the redundence(sp?). I think I originally mentioned that no, I don't use/play with the boards, I never have. I just love the art and symbology. I too am very interested by Victorian history. I just bought a book on Amazon about the Victorians and the occult, fascinating stuff! I think I will pm you for advice on how to handle this particular board, if that's okay with you?
We share a lot of interests! The Victorians really interest me and I have a great book about the Lilydale Assembly in Cassadaga NY is one of the first Spiritualist Communities.

I've always wanted to go there! The Victorians loved and revived Halloween and Christmas. Other spiritual movements began then such as Pentecostalism which while ultra conservative was open to women leaders. You would probably find the life of Aimee Semple MacPherson founder of the Four Square Gosper church, a church that believes in faith healing, tongues and other phenomena to be interesting.
Ms. MacPherson staged her own kid napping and drowning all the while leading the Agelos Temple in LA.
An interesting figure.

Back to the board. Send me a DM. I'd be happy to help.

The board is a tool - like a hammer. You can build a house or kill someone with a hammer.

If your board has an attachment, we can deal with that. But honestly, I'm not feeling it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 03:32 PM

255 posts, read 475,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You should actually burn them all and get them out of your home, but that is my opinion and all the members of my clan will not ever have, touch nor be involved with one.
NEVER BURN A OUIJA BOARD. You will DEFINITELY have something hanging around if you do.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
Quote:
I keep hearing people say that these boards are somehow evil but I don't understand how these boards could have been regularly used as a family parlor game, Norman Rockwell even did a cover for the Saturday Eve. Post w two kids playing with one, and nobody saw them az evil. It wasn't until the Exorcist came out that the board became associated with evil.

For the posters who have had negative experiences, did you hear of a bad time someone had with one or did you personally have a negative experience? If you did have a frightening time, could you please explain a little of your experience? I love collecting the boards because they are quickly becoming obsolete, and I love antiques, especially from the Victorian era. They are awedome dipictions of folk art. I don't use them though and I have never had anything bad happen from having them around. I was just a little unnerved to hear my new board may come with a visitor. She said after she got the board that she heard random conversations, footsteps at odd hours, items would go missing, and mechanical things would be broken. She said the spirit was not evil though. I guess I will judt sage smudge the board when I finally get it.
There is a reason for this.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You should actually burn them all and get them out of your home, but that is my opinion and all the members of my clan will not ever have, touch nor be involved with one.
I thought the myth was to never get rid of a Ouija Board by burning it? It calls the devil or attaches the spirit to you permanently or some junk.

Anyway, I don't use Ouija Boards or particularly like them, mostly because they are too easy to "fake" or be led buy subconscious suggestion. I love history though, so I can see how it would be interesting to collect them.

Anyway, the only power any inanimate object has is the power you give to it. A Ouija board is just a board with letters printed on it until you fear it and/or believe it is more.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I thought the myth was to never get rid of a Ouija Board by burning it? It calls the devil or attaches the spirit to you permanently or some junk.

Anyway, I don't use Ouija Boards or particularly like them, mostly because they are too easy to "fake" or be led buy subconscious suggestion. I love history though, so I can see how it would be interesting to collect them.

Anyway, the only power any inanimate object has is the power you give to it. A Ouija board is just a board with letters printed on it until you fear it and/or believe it is more.
I tend to very much agree with what you just said here about assigning power to the board. As I mentioned before, ouija boards were never viewed as evil until films/books like Witchboard and The Exorcist came out. People didn't go into a session on a ouija board expecting devils to manifest. I have to wonder if people are only having the outcomes they ecpexted-"ouija boards are evil so if I use one something horrible will happen".

Either it's some kind of self-fufilling prophesy or (and I have no problems admitting my possible ignorance) we who have never had an experience just can't believe what we have not seen.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
There is a reason for this.
Could you please elaborate? These obscure statements really don't explain enough to be very helpful.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We share a lot of interests! The Victorians really interest me and I have a great book about the Lilydale Assembly in Cassadaga NY is one of the first Spiritualist Communities.

I've always wanted to go there! The Victorians loved and revived Halloween and Christmas. Other spiritual movements began then such as Pentecostalism which while ultra conservative was open to women leaders. You would probably find the life of Aimee Semple MacPherson founder of the Four Square Gosper church, a church that believes in faith healing, tongues and other phenomena to be interesting.
Ms. MacPherson staged her own kid napping and drowning all the while leading the Agelos Temple in LA.
An interesting figure.

Back to the board. Send me a DM. I'd be happy to help.

The board is a tool - like a hammer. You can build a house or kill someone with a hammer.

If your board has an attachment, we can deal with that. But honestly, I'm not feeling it.
Thanks! It seems we do have very similar interests. Have you ever read the book "Lily Dale: the Town that Speaks to the Dead"? I love reading about Spiritualism and its South American/ Brazillian counterpart of Spiritism. I love to also learn about folk magick traditions in America and in other cultures too. Colin Wilson has written some fascinating stuff about both in a few of his books. The books are not new at all but that far from diminishes them.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:37 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
I admire anyone who collects and saves items from the past. Shame on us for becoming a throw away society. That show about abandoned buildings kills me when they say they're going to tear old places down. I'd be more scared to destroy our history, than I'd be of a talking board.

I had one as a kid and us girls would giggle and pretend to contact a spirt but nothing ever happened. Now my adult son who is very level headed and grounded, said when he was a older teen, he and a friend took one to a cemetary and got scared to death. He swears the thing moved and spelled out mean threatening things, like " Stop or I'll kill you". All I can say is I believe he believes it.

If a "ghost" can contact you, I dont believe it has to be from a special board. If they want to talk to ya, or scare you, they'll just do it! Op, have you ever watched the show Long Island Medium? I have to say if anyone can make me a believer of the passed on people being able to contact us, its that lady. I dont see anything fake about that show, and to be honest, I hope she's the real deal. I'd love to have her prove to me my loved ones are ok and watching over my family.

And as far as your new board being haunted? Thats a huge ebay seller ploy to get more money for their items. Its been done for years and truly works. All they have to do is say a doll is possesed and the price goes through the roof. Enjoy your hobby and I agree with the others, if you can post pic's of the really old ones, I'd love to see them. Thanks for protecting and saving our history.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks! It seems we do have very similar interests. Have you ever read the book "Lily Dale: the Town that Speaks to the Dead"? I love reading about Spiritualism and its South American/ Brazillian counterpart of Spiritism. I love to also learn about folk magick traditions in America and in other cultures too. Colin Wilson has written some fascinating stuff about both in a few of his books. The books are not new at all but that far from diminishes them.
I hAVE that book about Lilydale!!! I was trying to get some people together to visit Lilydale. Send me a DM.

I know a bit about Spirtism from a Brazilian friend. It is still very much alive.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
I think I started collecting them initially because they did freak me out a bit. However, once I really delved into the history of the talking board, I learned so many fascinating things. For instance, the board was born in the Victorian era when Spiritualism was thriving in America. The boards became imensely popular and were never seen as evil or demonic. They became a parlor game to be enjoyed by everyone, inclufing families. During and after WW1, they experienced a resurgence in popularity, as they did again in the 1940s and again in the 1960s. As a mater of fact, during each resergence of popularity, the folk art on the boards followed the trends of what paranormal theme wad popular. Like in the 1940s the boards were adorned with swamiis and egyptian scenes, and the boards from the 1960s followed the astrology craze in its art work. Very old boards were often covered with occultic good luck symbols like the swastika which had a positive connotation before the Naxis took and then perverted what had once been a good luck symbol. The Museum of Talking boards is an awesome repository of info and history on the boards- Museum of Talking Boards: An Online Museum of Ouija Boards as is WilliamFuld.com - The Official Website of William Fuld and Home of the Ouija Board! .
It wasn't until the 1970s with the release of The Exorcist that ouija boards began to been seen as sinister, negative, and demonic.
I have had personal experiences with them that are negative as hell. Trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal