Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

I really miss Bill Hicks. His ride ended WAY too soon....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Huh. That's all it takes, is it?

::: I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire............ :::

Hmmm....
You'll have much better luck praying to Umbly of the Seven moons...

Old 11-19-2013, 08:58 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
What spiritual leader are you referring to?

I don't know of any spiritual leader on this planet that stops bad people from reproducing.

What I can't believe is that people actually believe that there is an all-powerful, all-good and all-knowing god when so much evil exits on this planet. Or that they believe this when the world is full of so many bad and evil humans. Makes no sense to me at all.

Biology can explain the physical aspects of birth but it can't explain the soul or the spiritual aspects of it.

Spiritual leader = "God" I try to be respectful to the believers. I'm afraid that spiritual side of me has been dormant since I started thinking with a scientific mind. If we have no recolection of a previous life and misdeeds how can we learn from past mistakes and move on to a higher plane? Does anyone leave this planet ever without making mistakes? Of course not. What is the soul? A byproduct of our thought patterns explained away by biology? Some figment of an over productive imagination? Something given to us by some mystical being? I tend to think with a black and white mind and proof is needed before I'll accept anything as reality. It's just the way I'm wired biologically.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:54 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
The Buddha said, "Life is suffering"
Suffering is the key issue in the Four Noble Truths.
The Four Noble Truths
Why we suffer is because of our attachments and this is related to our egos.
The 'lesson' of Buddhism is to detachment. Let go of the ego, let go of our 'want' of things.
How can we let go of something if we have not experienced it?

Sure, many of us have had horrible things happen to us an we ask 'why'?
Why does not matter much unless it was our own doing (which in many cases it is).
As to what suffering has that is a benefit; experience, wisdom. Suffering is not useless or a waste or punishment (unless we did it to ourselves, and that is the consequence we pay).

Had I not experienced an abusive relationship, I would not have the experience or wisdom to help others in that situation. An abused woman can talk with a counselor, but unless the counselor had been subject to abuse, how much can they really offer? They just do not -know- what being IN that situation is like.

As for being in an abusive relationship- many would think that the abuser is to carry the burden of blame...oh no...it is 'I'....I made the choice to be with the abuser. True I did not know at the time, but it is still on me.

Now for being born into a crap family environment, if we are talking karma and reincarnation, then it is part of what makes balance. If someone is rescued in one life, and another did the rescue- then there needs to be balance. The one who was rescued will rescue another in a following lifetime, just as the one who rescued will be the one needing to be rescued.

The abusive relationship I was in was 'explained' with a previous life I lived. I was a horrible military officer who took what ever and whomever I wanted. I tortured others and was just plain evil.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Spiritual leader = "God" I try to be respectful to the believers. I'm afraid that spiritual side of me has been dormant since I started thinking with a scientific mind. If we have no recolection of a previous life and misdeeds how can we learn from past mistakes and move on to a higher plane? Does anyone leave this planet ever without making mistakes? Of course not. What is the soul? A byproduct of our thought patterns explained away by biology? Some figment of an over productive imagination? Something given to us by some mystical being? I tend to think with a black and white mind and proof is needed before I'll accept anything as reality. It's just the way I'm wired biologically.
It is too bad that you have allowed science to condition you to the point of ignoring your spiritual development. I am also a scientist working on my advanced graduate degree. The only thing science helped me to see clearly with respect to organized religion was that the Bible is full of lies especially when explaining how humans came into existence.

If you could ever teach yourself how to deeply meditate or train yourself to sense subtle energies I think you would come to understand that the soul is not a byproduct of our thought patterns.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:24 PM

313 posts, read 329,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
One of key things in life that wealthy people have done and continue to do that poor people don't often do is giving back and speaking over their lives. God can't throw you a bone unless you throw him one to give you. Tithing is essential to any believer. Your money is actually his. You shouldn't be afraid to give him a small percentage of what you owe him so he can not only continue to use the church to spread the message and aid across the globe but make provision in your life and pour out blessings for you. He promised you to test him in that. Malachi 3:10. It's called the law of reciprocity. It doesn't have to be a church. The law is that giving 10% or more of your income to a charity or church, you are blessed back with double what you gave. It is true and told. I am a witness. Celebrities are the greatest example of this law. What rich people have all in common is their charitable givings which multiples what they already have. Learn it, do it, and be on your way to financial prosperity and stability.

The second thing wealthy people do is speaking over their lives and not cursing themselves. Most of the rags to riches story the wealthy have such as Oprah and Will Smith all started with faith they would get out of it. They have both talked extensively about speaking things into existence and owning their lives. Your life now is an example of the words you have spoken over it. If you have said most of your life that you are poor and struggling, then that's whats going to transpire. The power of life and death is in the tongue. So watch what you say and speak what you want your life to be as if you already had it. Then it will come to fruition. Trust me. I have spoken all kinds of things into existence since I learned that. Even the weather for heaven's sake. On a hot Orlando humid summer day at an amusement park with no weather reports or hope of a wind coming in to cool anyone off, I declared that a huge wind would come in and would last all day over the region. That is exactly what happened no more than 15 minutes later. Everyone at that park was shocked and relieved. God made it this way for us to have dominion over the Earth. So again, change what you say and you will change your life.
Really? So all the poor people in church should be rich by now....

Some of the most devout christian nations are in the 3rd world...

Allot of celebrities are rich because they earn millions to do a movie. Most then invest. Some give to charity as a PR stunt.

sure some give to be nice, but I don't think thats why they became rich in the first place.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 PM

855 posts, read 624,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It's a horribly sadistic and antiquated system. Where can I protest?
Yeah, while I pretty much believe that reincarnation's possible, I
don't see it as compulsory, and the concept that wrongdoings from
the previous life come back to haunt one in the next life doesn't
make any more sense to me than the hell thing.

I think we choose to come here whenever we're up to it. Our higher
selves know that the experiences we have here won't scar our true
selves; we will only benefit from everything by learning from it.
But while in our bodies here, it's like putting on 3D glasses –
everything seems so real.

I think those who compare this life to a ride, or this world to a stage
where we're the actors, are definitely on to something.

-

Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 PM

855 posts, read 624,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Now that I'm an adult and more emotionally mature, I'm more with the Bill Hicks viewpoint. Not that he was any prophet or great role model, but on this topic I think he summarized it fairly well in less than 2 minutes.

Bill Hicks: Life is just a Ride - YouTube
^^ This! Hicks says it so well.

-

Old 12-04-2013, 01:40 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
A really good book on reincarnation from a psychologist is 'Living Your Past Lives: The Psychology of Past Life Regression' by Karl Schlotterbeck.
He was not so sure about the study when he started it but what he found was so interesting that he kept on with it.
The book does not prove or disprove reincarnation, but from a psychological standpoint it shows it's purpose.
Reincarnation or not- one's life is miserable because they chosen it. Likely not consciously. One's life and how it is, is really in their own hands and minds.
One of the best times in my life was when I was homeless, granted, I had a car...but still. How many people could imagine a homeless person being happy? How many people could say they could be happy if homeless?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:55 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I've read and heard countless information saying that we are here on Earth to better our souls. Some Eastern religions believe that, as well as those who believe in reincarnation. That is why we keep having multiple lifetimes...in order to achieve soul growth. My only feeling is would God really put us in such a hard and lonely place without throwing us a bone some of the time? Sometimes things that should be so natural and easy like finding friends or a job, seem like darn near impossible. Sometimes it seems like there is no end to it all. All the stress, loneliness and depression. Well how do we keep going if good things don't ever happen? no inventive to keep trying. just sayin'
All depends on what and where you place importance. Stress and loneliness are self imposed. Your lifestyle is determined by you.

If you're 4 ft 9, the odds are you won't be an MBA champion.......expectations.

Last edited by virgode; 12-05-2013 at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal