Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:56 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times

Advertisements

He is that guy who says he can talk with the dead? Hoax or no?

Last edited by Tallysmom; 07-05-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 09:18 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
I don't know what to think, as I have never seen him in person.
TV shows are designed for entertainment value and need to 'work', and a lot of 'magic' can be made by editing and the behind the scenes preperation.
Having seen the show, I can see how simple it would be to fake this.
However, I am a believer that mediumship is a real thing, have had personal experiences that cannot be explained any other way.
He could be legit, plus get some help from the shows production crew.
I have heard a couple stories about JE being someplace and going up to a random person and hitting the mark. But these are just second-hand stories.

I know that people will argue and say that the 'techniques' he uses are cold reading moves. Such as, I smell perfume and hearing the letter M. Pretty general, that I will agree. However, while it is general, that is how real psychic impressions come sometimes. Again, personal experience has shown me this. So while it may seem that he is 'reaching' and using the odds in his favor, he could really be being genuine.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:58 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Anyone can talk to a dead person. The question is can the dead talk back? No.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:47 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Not convinced by John. He reminds me of those late night preachers on TV who touch people and they start shaking and falling down.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:57 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
The dude that ran for president? He essentially "died" in 2008 when he got caught in a sex scandal.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:47 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Just to clarify, I believe the medium is John Edward & the politician is John Edwards. Not sure if I believe in either one. I believe there are REAL mediums out there. But, don't know if he is a real one or not.

Cat

Old 07-04-2014, 12:56 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,029,470 times
I can't say either way.

I believe in mediums, as I am one and I have had amazing one on one readings from well known mediums and newbies alike. However, I never just automatically believe or do not believe in anyone who is on television, where anything can be edited in or out, or pieced together as if astoundingly accurate information is coming through over the course of just a few minutes, when in fact there may have been many wrong guesses over a relatively long span of time.

And the more fame and exposure anyone in this field has, the more he or she has to guard against getting too impressed with him- or herself, and against getting too comfortable in the celebrity lifestyle, and the attendant temptation to invent or fudge things for the camera.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:07 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
An article on John Edward's use of cold reading (with good examples both from Edwards and other "psychics"):

Demystifying John Edward of Crossing Over ||| John Edwards ||| Truth or Scam?

Old 07-04-2014, 02:07 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Don't know anything about John Edward, as I watch no TV.

However there is another guy named George Anderson. He's on Long Island, NY. I went to one of his group sessions in 2003, and saw him in person. We were one of 10 couples there for readings that evening. He know nothing about who we were, as we reigistered in a false name.

His reading for us was 100% accurate, even named names (again, we were registered under a false name). From the reactions of the other sitters in the group, we both felt that he was pretty much spot on with them, also. It was quite an experience. We went because of unusual events that were taking place after the passing of an elderly relative. Normally I would agree that the dead do not "talk" to you. But this one was definitely trying to get a message to us, or somebody. George was able to relay that message for us, and then the "unusual" events stopped.

Not sure what to think of all that, but George seemed to be the real deal. He worked all alone, sitting on a stool in the center of chairs in a semi-circle around him. He took nothing out of his pockets or anything else. He did have a small office folder with a pad of blank paper, and a pen, which he used to scribble with in mid-air, with his eyes closed. He also had a great sense of humor. Nothing spooky about the session at all, though some people cried from his messages. Afterward, he seemed to be drained of energy, and left without speaking to anybody.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:33 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Anyone can talk to a dead person. The question is can the dead talk back? No.
I'm not too sure about that. I know a woman who was buried with her cell phone. She had it placed on her chest, like people used to do with the Good Book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal